TT Website Forum
Turned out nice again 'an't it - Printable Version

+- TT Website Forum (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Previous Yearly Reports (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=254)
+--- Forum: Previous TT's (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=255)
+---- Forum: TT2017 (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=172)
+----- Forum: Information, Press Releases etc and your comments (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=173)
+----- Thread: Turned out nice again 'an't it (/showthread.php?tid=24859)

Pages: 1 2

Turned out nice again 'an't it - DBD 34 - 08-06-2017

Surely they could have run the Supersport this afternoon, sun is shining roads are drying fast, mist has lifted.

Does my head in when the organisers make decisions on the strength of a weather forecast. They need to understand how things can change very quickly one way or the other when it comes to the weather on this island.

Also, was there any reason for not running the sidecars on Sunday after the Superbike race? Would have been back on track then.

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - Goldfinger - 08-06-2017

There is already a thread with the question why sidecars weren't run on Sunday. Answer was they had not qualified yet. But I agree with you they should at least have run something on sunday before the Superbike Race.
Other question was why not Superstock on Monday. Answer was to much laps for the riders. Would have been round about 10 Laps. SP(4)+SS(4)+Q(2). Are 10 Laps to much? I remenber in the Past SP1 and SS were always on Monday on the same day plus qualifying. Friday in the past was Senior(6)+Lightweigth(3)=9 Laps.
In Motorsport (not only TT) I have often the feeling that organisers waste time. That is so often the case that I don't believe there are suitable reasons for it. But if there are reasons they should communicate it better. Otherwise it remains the impression they waste time for purpose.

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - Smokin Haddock Racing - 08-06-2017

The mountain is still closed because of flooding so the sun might be shining, but if it isn't opened to the public yet it clearly isn't suitable for racing.

The general view is that the Clerk of the Course gets his decisions right.

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - RedlineRick - 08-06-2017

Plus the last I looked (just now) at the Bungalow cams the mountain had heavy fog, and via the radio I think crews will be up till the wee hours cleaning/repairing? the roadway.

Roy had to go an mention "landslide' in one of his stories... hope's that's not the case there.

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - RedlineRick - 08-06-2017

Just on the Manx Radio 4pm news Mountain Road closed due to "We think" flooding... usually with flooding there is road damage (undermining) kind makes me wonder if any racing will happen tomorrow, Saturday?   Crossfingers that's not the case.

Good news just now on Manx Radio, Mountain road may be open by 5pm.

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - AndyL - 08-06-2017

(08-06-2017, 03:04 PM)Smokin Haddock Racing Wrote: The mountain is still closed because of flooding so the sun might be shining, but if it isn't opened to the public yet it clearly isn't suitable for racing.

The general view is that the Clerk of the Course gets his decisions right.

When you think back to what used to happen under the previous regime, you've got to say the current clerk of the course has done a very good job these last few years. He's certainly earned his pay this year.

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - Nasher - 08-06-2017

Agreed - a big THANK YOU from me, to Gary and his team

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - DBD 34 - 08-06-2017

Nah, the organisers are way too cautious in my opinion, yes they have a tricky job but they really do need to consider the paying public before cancelling races, there was ample time and good conditions between 12:00 and 15:00 to run a four lap race. They could even be running it right now as weather is fair.

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - van man - 08-06-2017

Didn't know you had to pay to watch the races that's a new one on me

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - sticky - 08-06-2017

(08-06-2017, 07:54 PM)DBD 34 Wrote: Nah, the organisers are way too cautious in my opinion, yes they have a tricky job but they really do need to consider the paying public before cancelling races, there was ample time and good conditions between 12:00 and 15:00 to run a four lap race. They could even be running it right now as weather is fair.

I think they did the right thing to be honest.  I was checking the web cams and sure it was bright in parts but the mountain was subject to fog much of the time and there's no chance the track would have dried out under the trees.  They could have gone from bone dry to soaking wet surfaces in a heartbeat and we all know how that turns out...

(08-06-2017, 09:02 PM)van man Wrote: Didn't know you had to pay to watch the races that's a new one on me

You've obviously never been to the TT I guess?

Been lots of times can you tell me where you pay for the races you pay for the transport to get there you pay for your accommodation so where do you pay to watch the races

(08-06-2017, 09:12 PM)sticky Wrote: I think they did the right thing to be honest.  I was checking the web cams and sure it was bright in parts but the mountain was subject to fog much of the time and there's no chance the track would have dried out under the trees.  They could have gone from bone dry to soaking wet surfaces in a heartbeat and we all know how that turns out...

The roads were dry for long enough at lunchtime today to run a four lap race, and again this evening.

Guess you've never been to the TT and seen how quickly it closes in on the mountain

the tt the greatest free show on earth

(08-06-2017, 09:34 PM)van man Wrote: Been lots of times can you tell me where you pay for the races you pay for the transport to get there you pay for your accommodation so where do you pay to watch the races

Ehh Grandstand, Fanzones. And when I say paying public I mean the people who hav spent big money to get here and pay for digs etc......

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - Chrisp955 - 09-06-2017

Bit late to join the thread. But the mountain been a wash out most of day. Sun come out in Douglas but there was still standing water from windy corner down to the creg. No way could you run a race up there. Just left the pub now and one of the marshalls was telling me they have road gangs up there now trying to sort things out.

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - RedlineRick - 09-06-2017

This is what it looked like in 2012 for the MGP (see if this works from MR FB)  Yea! phew!

[Image: 603467_408963665826455_1242795561_n.jpg?...e=599E1370]

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - Sussex Ninja Gal' - 09-06-2017

(08-06-2017, 03:28 PM)RedlineRick Wrote: Plus the last I looked (just now) at the Bungalow cams the mountain had heavy fog, and via the radio I think crews will be up till the wee hours cleaning/repairing? the roadway.

Roy had to go an mention "landslide' in one of his stories... hope's that's not the case there.

What was his 'certainly' count? More than 3 and he'll probably be onto something! Icon_lol

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - RedlineRick - 09-06-2017

"'certainly' count?" Count? We tried that with "tremendyus" and we learned not to "strain" ourselves!

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

RE: Turned out nice again 'an't it - Sussex Ninja Gal' - 09-06-2017

(09-06-2017, 10:23 AM)RedlineRick Wrote: "'certainly' count?" Count? We tried that with "tremendyus" and we learned not to "strain" ourselves!

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Icon_lol Icon_wink