Changes to FoM qualifying criteria needed?
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Changes to FoM qualifying criteria needed?
[Image: glencrutcheryinrain.jpg]

Weather having big impact on event

Changes to qualifying criteria for racers may be necessary, following a dismal start to this year's Festival of Motorcycling.

Saturday's practice was called off due to visibility being too bad for the helicopters, Monday's session was curtailed by a red flag incident in Ramsey, then Tuesday night's session also fell foul of the weather.

Clerk of the Course Phil Taubman says with a forecast that's far from certain for Wednesday evening's session, organisers may have to consider making some changes:

Listen to what Phil Taubman has to say - HERE

[Image: manxradiomain.gif]
26-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: Changes to FoM qualifying criteria needed?
Maybe it's just me but letting riders qualify with less laps/times rather than having contingency plans to replace lost practice time comes across as Fred Karno to me - a very short sighted Fred at that, they've backed themselves into a corner with all this practice situation and road closures, people wanting to get home, new safety stuff, health and safety etc etc ... well surprise surprise folks this is the end result .... I know what's next - "did he crash because he only got 2 laps in" .. ridiculous.
26-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Fully agree, it's about time the organizers listened to some good old common sense, we have a lot of rain in these parts, so you have to grab every chance available to hold practices, early mornings being the obvious choice.
26-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
I use what the F1 teams use, its radar, live radar does not predict rain, it actually shows where rain is falling and how long it will take before it arrives and leaves and it shows how strong the rain will be, there are plenty of apps for the phone or you can google them, although there are better here is one and the green areas are where rain is now falling, 
http://www.accuweather.com/en/im/isle-of...r/2992_poi

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=
(This post was last modified: 27-08-2015, 01:50 AM by spannerman.)
27-08-2015, 01:36 AM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
(26-08-2015, 10:48 PM)Alfie Noakes Wrote: Maybe it's just me but letting riders qualify with less laps/times rather than having contingency plans to replace lost practice time comes across as Fred Karno to me - a very short sighted Fred at that, they've backed themselves into a corner with all this practice situation and road closures, people wanting to get home, new safety stuff, health and safety etc etc ... well surprise surprise folks this is the end result .... I know what's next - "did he crash because he only got 2 laps in" .. ridiculous.

I agree it looks like it's Heading that way if someone has a crash, did the lack of practice contribute.
27-08-2015, 01:50 AM
Find Reply