Classic TT progression
Wookster Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Classic TT progression
I have attended the Classic 3 times now and find it a good event , however I am getting frustrated at the single minded focus particularly on music entertainment around the pits that everyone wants 1950s rockabilly music. 
Within the group I attend with ,we all agreed that the 2015 /2017 classic was like Groundhog Day. I was born in the 60s so my era was the 70/80s Z1s , Jota's etc ,and the rock music of that era , and since the classic covers bikes of those decades ,can we not have a more diverse selection of music/bands to listen to. I have spoken to people who wont entertain the Classic as they think it's all gold stars & quifs. Come on organisers you don't want to isolate the generations that follow.
01-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Find Reply
RedlineRick Offline
Cotton Top

RE: Classic TT progression
Yea gotta agree with ya, the 'Sock Hop Rock' on Manx Radio did me head in an I was born in the 50's. Consider myself as a Senior but not elderly...

Listen to that music growing up but was to young to be a part of it. But they did play some Gerry And The Pacemakers, and when my head was really 'bout ready to implode, I thought ??? play some Kinks. Next song The Kinks, I must have tellypathy POWERS!

Icon_biggrin
"A few yrs ago they screwed up a perfectly good working website just because they want to be 'modern' and now we have a sluggish ugly problematic and feature lacking website. but hey, its modern..., old sites are always better".
01-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Find Reply
Hillpiece Offline

Yes me as well. Ground hog day to me. I enjoy Jurby day but to be honest it's the same old same old. Once you have been there is really no point in going again. But I do!The Manx this year seemed very quiet and lacked the buzz of past years. I have been doing  the TT and Manx since 1970 missing very few. No Manx next year for me sadly as ithas lost that magic.

Icon_biggrin
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2017, 11:13 AM by Malcolm.)
04-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
Six riders joined the tommy club this year and you say the manx has lost its buzz?, that's six that lapped at over 120 mph in case your not sure what the tommy club is.
05-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
The Manx is as exciting as ever. As Creg ny Baa explains, some riders are performing amazingly well. These in my opinion are the future TT stars, just as it was in the beginning, almost 100 years ago.
However, it has been spoiled by the ridiculous numbering system, which means that the competitors start in qualifying order. OK there's a list available in the office, but to the casual observer who isn't able to get to the office, there is no chance of following the races.
Even with an iphone and the "App", it makes life difficult, because you spend more time looking at the phone , than watching the racing.
So, when number 57 (for example) come past with number 22, it means nothing, because 57 may have started three minutes earlier.
Gone are the enjoyable scraps (as far as the spectator is concerned), or being able to watch x, y, or z, progressing through the field. I will not be watching whilst they have this system, which, in theory, is for safety, but doesn't make the racing any safer. PLUS there is now qualifying in practice, which WAS for practice, learning the course, and developing the bike, NOT to try and get in a quick lap when you are unprepared.
In future, after my races are concluded, I shall marshal as I did this year on Sulby Straight. Phones aren't allowed when you are marshalling, so I will have no clue as to what is happening.
05-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Find Reply
Hillpiece Offline

(05-09-2017, 11:19 AM)cregnybaa Wrote: Six riders joined the tommy club this year and you say the manx has lost its buzz?, that's six that lapped at over 120 mph in case your not sure what the tommy club is.

I know what the Tommy club is. Your sarcastic remark is not appreciated. The racing was great it was the overall feel around the island that I felt was somehow different this year. I have been coming
to these events for long enough to have my own opinion.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2017, 08:06 PM by Hillpiece. Edit Reason: Wrong word. )
05-09-2017, 08:04 PM
Find Reply
theton58 Offline

Threads: 0
Just to support what Splashdown has said about the numbering system. If, as seems to be the case , it is for safety reasons, there already was a system in place whereby if a rider was lapping faster in practice than his allocated starting number, he would be moved up the order and his number changed accordingly (the reverse also has happened previously of course, Gus Scott requested a higher number in '05 for example). As long as you marked the change in the program the race was easy to follow. With the new system, you either spend all your time looking at the list from the office or your phone and not the racing you are there to watch. As far as I am aware, there is no evidence whatsoever to support the idea that the new system is safer, and as Splashdown has said, having practice as "qualifying" surely makes that less safe?
To get back to the original post, good music is good music no matter from what year/era it comes from - but it is always a subjective view what is good of course. That said, I agree - more variety would be better.
06-09-2017, 04:35 PM
Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Threads: 10
TT or MGP practise is just that,
It shouldn't be Qualifying,
As that puts more pressure on the riders,
Not that I know much about it,
06-09-2017, 07:27 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
Regarding the start numbers I also think its not good. I have ridden in the manx / TT many times over past 30 years and when we started in pairs I was always happy when there was a speed difference between me and my start partner. Bob McIntyre started number 78 in 57 and still won the race breaking the lap record more than once in a 8 lap race that would have had many more starters than todays races.
07-09-2017, 02:59 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Spot on Creg ny Baa!! I keep quoting this statistic to the Powers that Be, and all I get in response is: "Everyone's going a lot faster nowadays".
However, as you say, in those days there were a lot more riders,  and the top boys are still lapping the slower riders at the start of the third lap. Overtaking still takes place, that';s the nature of racing. PLUS, here's a fact. If you have a poor practice, and qualify way below your normal speed, you will still have to do a lot of overtaking. This happened to Michael Russell in the Superbike Classic TT.
Should have qualified top 20, qualified 54th, then went on to go through the field, and was lying about 20th before he retired. How many overtaking manoeuvres had he made by then?
The whole idea of qualifying for the Classic TT is flawed, (or for ANY race round the Mountain course).
As has been stated, there was always the facility of providing a lower start number for a rider who was doing exceptionally well in practice.
Now riders have to try to QUALIFY, when they should be PRACTISING!

I haven't even mentioned on this posting the difficulties that arise for spectators who have absolutely no idea what's going on. Many many folk have said to me that they would much rather have the old system back. For the TT course it is imperative in my opinion.
07-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Threads: 10
When are people going to listen to the likes of splashdown,
You summed it up better than I could do yesterday with this simple paragraph !

The whole idea of qualifying for the Classic TT is flawed, (or for ANY race round the Mountain course).
As has been stated, there was always the facility of providing a lower start number for a rider who was doing exceptionally well in practice.
Now riders have to try to QUALIFY, when they should be PRACTISING!

Well said, and well done by the way on a cracking ride by yourself,
07-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Thank you Benji's Dad, both for your kind comments on my comments, and for my riding. My performances are a shadow of my past efforts, but I still quite like to wring the neck off a bike without a speed camera facing me!
As for the starting order, it is time the Powers that Be came out of their huts and stood watching a race, (or at least receive advice from people they respect).
However, I must add that the best news over the Manx Grand Prix period, plus the Classic TT was that nobody's injuries were life threatening, and thus it COULD be argued that the new arrangement has made racing safer. It actually hasn't, but with that statistic to use as an argument, I cannot see any change in the near future.
08-09-2017, 12:06 AM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
The starting order, what a nightmare I was over for the Classic and quite honestly it was a waste of money buying the programme. Listening to the radio giving the revised starting order was a nightmare, it would have been easier doing a Rubix Cube but you always get these self important people who`s attitude is my way or no way. 

Splashdown watched you through Ginger Hall and for an old fogie you were good to watch, well done. Icon_eek Icon_biggrin
08-09-2017, 01:34 PM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
The whole idea about qualifying is dangerous. If for instance the only dry night of the week is say Monday and somebody does a flyer, then if the weather changes,you have to chase a time, of which you don't know what will be good enough, in the wet, to try and qualify. Likewise if you are borderline qualified on the last night and you didn't want to push the bike anymore, you feel have to go out, just in case you get piped in the last session and you don't have time to reply. The old fixed time system was safer.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2017, 04:57 PM by Malcolm.)
08-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Find Reply