Manx/Classic TT photos
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
Manx/Classic TT photos
Is it me or are the photos getting boring same old places, just the easy ones to get to when you have 37.75 miles to find more interesting places.
09-09-2017, 01:28 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
RE: Manx/Classic TT photos
As an accredited photographer for the races perhaps I can answer this one!

It's all governed by light.  You need to be where it works for you, not against you.  During practice the light falls off sharply towards the end of the session, so you need to try and find a place where it stays with you as long as possible.  On very sunny days the light can be very contrasty so I tend to avoid places where deep shadows might be cast. 

You may also want to move between races, so you need somewhere you can escape from.  Professional camera gear can be very heavy too so that can limit where you can get if you have a lot of equipment to lug about.

Agreed, some people go to favourite spots each year - I'm guilty of that from time to time - but when you've got an editor depending on you to get results, you've got to make sure you have publishable shots to present.  Experimenting is all well and good if you have no pressure on you but if you try something a bit off piste and it doesn't work then the day's a bust.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2017, 03:04 PM by sticky.)
09-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Website Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people really like what others think mundane.

Accredited photographers have much more scope than amateur/hobbyists who have to find our spots like everyone else. Maybe you are seeing shots by people limited in this way.

As Sticky says the accredited guys will be shooting what and where it puts food on the table. What gets into the main media is not necessarily what all of their output is like, nor necessarily what they would prefer.

If you are looking for a front wheel in the air shot there are certain locations to go to to get one, despite the length of the course perhaps not as many as you might think. That's why many of these type shots are in similar locations.

As a hobbyist myself I love to get pin sharp close up shots of riders doing their thing, but actually what I regard as my favourites are often landscapes with a rider within it - such is the beauty of the IoM and the iconic locations these really appeal to me.

As I said at the start - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
11-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
I have just returned from the Festival with 1800 photos to sort through, but if they are considered boring, maybe I will just keep them to myself. I have never known practice week evenings to be so dull, and I did not get a single half decent shot, although I did try some different places. I was pushing the ISO up to 1200, but the pictures still looked like they were taken at night.  We had some lovely days, but as soon as practice started, the sun dissapeared and darkness fell. One evening, the sun came out again as I got back to my lodgings, just to rub it in.  With all the restrictions there is nothing like 37.75 miles to choose from and new locations are difficult to find.  I agree with Sticky, that the direction of the sun and not wanting to be stuck in one place all day, all add to the problems. Also, some of us are not as young as we were, and long treks across the countryside are out of the question for me.
12-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Find Reply