COSTELLO TAKES POSITIVES FROM MIXED EMOTIONS TT
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
COSTELLO TAKES POSITIVES FROM MIXED EMOTIONS TT
[Image: MariaC-1.jpg]

Maria Costello MBE has vowed to take the positives from her Isle of Man TT experience despite having the misfortune of breaking down during the Lightweight race.

In a race that saw the Lightweight lap record broken twice in the first two laps, Northamptonshire racer Costello was forced to start from 44th place after a catalogue of electrical issues hampered practice to the point where she had to stop and make adjustments almost every lap of her five qualifying laps.

Costello said:

“After all the problems in practice, I really hoped we had found and solved the problem. I was initially bitterly disappointed to break down in the race. I’d already stopped twice on lap two to make adjustments, so I knew it wouldn’t be a good finish but I really wanted to see that chequered flag.

I did make it to the pit stop and it was a super slick, probably one of my fastest, special thanks to Liam Beckett for coming over especially to be my fuel man and to Stuart of RST for the Arai visor change, it’s a shame I couldn’t capitalise on it. I retired from the race on lap three at Glen Helen. Competing at the Isle of Man TT is a privilege and it means so much to me, but when things go wrong I can’t help but feel frustrated, but meeting up in the beer tent with friends who have experienced real tragedy this TT put that into perspective.”

Among the highlights of the event for Costello was meeting with Prince William at the start line for the race.

Costello, who received her MBE from William’s father, Prince Charles, was asked many questions by HRH including what she would be listening to before she set off.

“I was honoured to meet him, it helped with my pre-race nerves. I couldn’t help but mention that I’ve met his Dad and we talked about our music interests. I was even more blown away when I found out he’d waited for me to start the race.”

[Image: MariaC-2.jpg]

The race was won by Michael Dunlop but only after Ivan Lintin, from a standing start, went thought the Grandstand at 121.603mph.

Lintin led the race until the end of lap two, when Michael Dunlop took the lead and broke the record again with 122.257mph.

Lintin was forced to stop and Dunlop went on to win the race.

Maria would like to send special thanks to all her sponsors who made the event possible and to her team; Andy, Stephen, Richard and Sarah. Thanks also to Tony & Simon at CMS, Ryan Farqhaur & Chris, Landlady Hilary, Dave Madsen-Mygdal & team, Harry & Chris, Ian, Adam, the marshals at the 33rd and those at Glen Helen, the guys who gave me the lift back after the race and all those who gave their support including the organisers, medics, marshals, travelling marshals and all the volunteers.

Maria added:

"My thoughts, love and sincere condolences go out to the family & friends of both Dan Kneen & Adam Lyon and I'm sending all my thoughts and prayers to Steve Mercer, wishing him a full recovery from his incident."

Maria now turns her attention to three wheels in preparation for her sidecar debut at the Isle of Man Southern 100 in July.

For all of the latest news on Costello, including sponsorship opportunities, track days for women and other events, please visit her website at www.costelloracing.com.

[Image: mariaclogo.jpg]
14-06-2018, 02:42 PM
Website Find Reply