Peter Hickman breaks Philip McCallen's record with seven Ulster Grand Prix victories
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Peter Hickman breaks Philip McCallen's record with seven Ulster Grand Prix victories
[Image: Hicky7wins.jpg]
Peter Hickman celebrates his third success of the week.

Peter Hickman has broken Philip McCallen's 1996 record by claiming seven wins at this year's Ulster Grand Prix.

The 32-year-old won both of Thursday's Superbike and Supersport races, winning back the 'Fastest Road Race in the World' title for the Dundrod track in the process.

And he broke the record by adding two Superbike, Superstock and two Supersport wins on Saturday.

After a two-hour delay, Hickman led the opening Superstock from the off and comfortably eased to victory ahead of Davey Todd and Conor Cummins, who rounded off the podium.

"It was absolutely brilliant and the bike was awesome," he told BBC. "I got away cleanly and had no problems. I kept my tyres cool and Davey kept me honest for a few laps before I put my head down. I'm really happy for myself and the team."

Dean Harrison, who had finished second in Thursday's Superbike outing, retired.

The following Supersport race also suffered delays and was shortened from six laps to five.

But when it eventually got going, there were to be no surprises.

Davey Todd may have led at the off but Hickman soon hit the front, where he was, rather inevitably, to remain. Lee Johnston came in second with Todd taking third.

Then came Saturday's Superbike success as he won well clear of Dean Harrison and Conor Cummins. Michael Dunlop had pulled out ahead of the race.

"The conditions were not ideal - all three races had different conditions and this was the hardest of all," he said. "The bike is working really well, it's been set up perfectly for me and I'm delighted."

Hickman clinched the record in the final Supersport race besting Lee Johnston to make history.

"That was a really good race and it's great to race against someone of Lee's calibre," he said.

"The fuel cap came off on the first lap and I was covered in fuel. It's fantastic - the bike was awesome through corners."

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
11-08-2019, 09:16 AM
Website Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Peter Hickman breaks Philip McCallen's record with seven Ulster Grand Prix victories
I watched the action on Saturday on the BBC live stream and I have to agree with the commentator who said it's an absolute privilege to watch Peter Hickman in action. He's just a wonderful rider whether its on the roads or closed circuits.

I always say he reminds me of David Jefferies, blisteringly fast and a real nice guy too.
12-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Find Reply