Kennedy on a high after retaining his British title
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Kennedy on a high after retaining his British title
[Image: Jack-Kennedy-Champ.jpg]
Hot stuff: Jack Kennedy clinched the title once again in style

Jack Kennedy retained his British Supersport Championship at Donington Park by winning Saturday's Sprint race by three seconds from his Appleyard McAdam Yamaha team-mate Brad Jones, and he doubled down yesterday with success in the feature race.

The 31-year-old Dubliner achieved his title with three races to spare and said: "Two-time British champion sounds good. I laid down the pace from the start, but Brad pegged me back and I had to put the hammer down again. I just went for it from the start and the title looked after itself. It's not my style to ride cautiously."

Kennedy cemented his dominance of the Championship in yesterday's 18-lap race.

Jones and Kennedy pulled away from the field with the former fending off a number of attacks until lap 15 when the Dubliner pounced and sliced his way past. With the fastest lap of the race, he took his 18th victory of the season.

Kennedy may now step up to the British Superbike Championship with Yamaha in 2020.

The Superbike Championship is now between three Ducati riders after Donington with double winner Scott Redding 28 points ahead of PBM Be Wiser team-mate Josh Brookes.

Tommy Bridewell is the outsider of the three, 65 points behind Redding with just the triple-header at Brands Hatch and 75 points remaining.

Two good rides by Andrew Irwin yesterday saw him finish fifth and seventh. He's now just one point behind Honda team-mate Xavi Fores in the chase for the Riders Cup.

The Superstock 600cc Championship will go down to the wire after Ben Luxton won yesterday's race from Storm Stacey with Aghadowey's Eunan McGlinchey in third, his fifth podium of the season.

Korie McGreevy went out on the third lap but still has a slender chance of the Championship, now 19 points adrift of Shane Richardson.

Scott Swann, sixth in Saturday's opening Motostar race, improved to finish third in the second outing, while Graeme Irwin was in the points in the Superstock 1000cc race after finishing in 12 position.

Meanwhile, Saturday's final round of the AJ Plumbing Ulster Superbike Championship at St Angelo Airfield came to a premature end after just five races of the scheduled 16 were completed.

There was a long delay after an incident when a rider crashed and his bike ended up too close for comfort to a spectator area. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

Heavy rain then hit the circuit and due to standing water on the track officials decided to abandon the meeting.

Before the early end, the opening and only Superbike race of the day took place with Alistair Kirk racing to a 21-second victory over Ryan Gibson and Carl Phillips. Third was enough for Phillips to clinch the AJ Plumbing Ulster Superbike Championship.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
Roy Harris
07-10-2019, 12:40 PM
Website Find Reply