MANX GRAND PRIX 2022
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
MANX GRAND PRIX 2022
[Image: MGPBlackLogo.jpg]

MANX GRAND PRIX 2022

he Manx Motor Cycle Club and Department for Enterprise have today confirmed plans for a ‘new look’ Manx Grand Prix in 2022.

It follows a review undertaken by both organisations earlier this year, working closely with other stakeholders critical to the delivery of the event including the TT Marshals Association, Manx Road Racing Medical Services and ACU Events Ltd.

The review was designed to ensure the long-term sustainability of the Manx Grand Prix, which is set to celebrate its centenary in 2023. Factors considered as part of the review included:
  • Analysis of the delivery costs and the benefits to the local economy
  • The impact road closures required to stage the event had on residents and businesses
  • Safety risk management
  • The provision of sufficient marshalling cover for the full event duration
  • Fan, media and industry relevance, and the continuous need to attract new fans
The new look for the event will bring to an end the use of the Classic TT designation, with a five-race programme planned featuring a range of classes for modern and classic machinery all held under the Manx Grand Prix title.

The Manx Grand Prix Races for modern machinery will be more closely aligned to the Isle of Man TT Races, with the Senior and Junior Races, for Supersport and Supertwin machines respectively, operating to similar (but not identical) specifications as seen at the TT, giving riders the opportunity to achieve their goals on the TT course.

The Classic Manx Grand Prix Races will build on the Island’s reputation for high profile classic motorcycle racing, with the world’s best teams and many of the leading TT competitors expected to take part.

The duration of the event will reduce from fourteen days to nine in 2022, starting on Sunday 21st of August and culminating on Monday 29th of August (August Bank Holiday). This reduction will ensure sufficient marshalling cover can be provided for all qualifying sessions and races, whilst reducing the overall net cost of the event to the Isle of Man taxpayer and lessening the impact of road closures on local residents and businesses.

The Manx Grand Prix will also follow the Isle of Man TT Races by adopting the new Safety Management System being introduced for racing on the Mountain Course, which is aimed at driving safety performance across all areas of the events.

In a further development, the Manx Motor Cycle Club have also appointed ACU Events Ltd as race organiser, who have fulfilled the same role at the Isle of Man TT Races since 2008. The Manx Motor Cycle Club will retain ownership of the Manx Grand Prix brand and lead the administrative delivery of the event, whilst the Department for Enterprise will continue to provide the funding required to stage the event, provision of facilities, infrastructure and logistics, in addition to assuming responsibility for event marketing and promotion.

A spokesperson from the Manx Motor Cycle Club said:

'Having continually evolved since its inception in 1923, these latest set of developments announced today for the Manx Grand Prix mark an exciting, new chapter for the famous event.

Ensuring its long-term sustainability, we have acted not only to address the challenges that the event faces, but also to inject new energy into both the look of the event, to which we believe will lead us to a successful future that stretches long beyond the centenary event in 2023.'

Rob Callister, Political Member with responsibility for tourism and motorsport, commented:

‘Having played an important role in our visitor economy for almost 100 years, I greatly welcome the developments announced today with regards to the Manx Grand Prix.

‘This key event contributes a significant £7.1m to the wider Manx economy and, when combined with the Isle of Man TT Races, accounts for £44m of visitor spending, which could be supporting up to 815 jobs in the island’s economy. It was therefore crucial that, together with the Manx Motorcycle Club, we undertook this review to identify ways that can help us to ensure the long-term sustainability of the event ahead of its centenary in 2023.

‘As the event enters a new and exciting phase, working alongside all key delivery partners, we are committed to ensuring its future success, supporting the Manx Motor Cycle Club and the other organisations involved for many years to come.’
A brief F.A.Q (frequently-asked-questions) response sheet follows, with the intent to answer as many of the most immediate questions likely to be raised.

2022 MANX GRAND PRIX FAQS

WHY IS THE FORMAT OF THE CLASSIC TT AND MANX GRAND PRIX BEING CHANGED?

The Manx Motor Cycle Club and the Isle of Man Government Department for Enterprise undertook a review of the event earlier this year, working closely with other organisations critical to the delivery of the event including the TT Marshals’ Association, the Manx Road Racing Medical Services, and ACU Events Ltd.

The review was undertaken to ensure the long-term sustainability of the Manx Grand Prix ahead of its centenary in 2023.

WHY HAS THE CLASSIC TT BEEN DISCONTINUED?

The decision to assimilate classic racing back into the Manx Grand Prix and to end the use of the Classic TT designation has been made to promote a single event. With all racing at the event now sitting under the Manx Grand Prix title  the event will be more clearly marketed as the Manx Grand Prix.

The revised Manx Grand Prix will continue to build on the Island’s reputation for high profile classic motorcycle racing, with the world’s best teams and many of the leading TT riders expected to take part.

WHY HAS THE EVENT BEEN SHORTENED? / WHY HAS THE RACE SCHEDULE CHANGED?

The review included the costs of staging the event and the benefits to the local economy, the impact on residents and businesses, safety risk management of the event, the provision of sufficient marshalling cover for the event’s duration, and the relevance of the event for the motorcycle industry, the media, its existing and future fanbase.

The reduction in the event’s duration from fourteen days to nine days will ensure sufficient marshalling cover can be provided for all qualifying sessions and races, whilst reducing the overall net cost of the event to the Isle of Man taxpayer and lessening the impact of road closures on local residents and businesses.

HOW WILL THE EVENT BE ORGANISED AND MANAGED?

The Manx Motor Cycle Club will contract ACU Events Ltd as the race organisers. Gary Thompson MBE, BEM will be the Clerk of the Course.

The Manx Motor Cycle Club retains the IP and trademark for the Manx Grand Prix and will continue to provide the administrative delivery of the event, managing entries and acting as the point of contact for competitors.

The Department for Enterprise will continue to provide the funding to stage the event, the provision of facilities, infrastructure and logistics, and will assume responsibility for overall event marketing and promotion.

WHAT RACES WILL BE HELD?

The 2022 Manx Grand Prix will feature the following five races, with the schedule and official Technical Regulations released in due course:
  • Senior Manx Grand Prix - Supersport machines
  • Junior Manx Grand Prix - Supertwin machines
  • Lightweight Manx Grand Prix - 2 stroke GP machines/ Moto3 machines
  • Senior Classic Manx Grand Prix - Classic machines up to 500cc
  • Superbike Classic Manx Grand Prix - Superbike Classic machines
WHY HAS THE NEWCOMERS’ RACE BEEN DISCONTINUED?

The review considered included the safety risk management of the event and a decision has been made to remove a Newcomers’ Race from the event schedule. Newcomers will continue to race on the TT Course and will be eligible to enter all of the Manx Grand Prix races.

The Department is working with the Manx Motor Cycle Club and race organiser ACU Events Ltd to ensure that riders taking on the challenge of the Mountain Course for the first time are introduced into the racing programme on the Isle of Man in the safest manner possible and to align this with the approach taken for TT.

This already includes comprehensive training and induction programmes with qualified, experienced rider liaison officers.  Also as part of the Safety Management System we have put in place for motorcycle racing on the Mountain Course, we are working pro-actively on a new safety initiative to assist new riders in learning the course and for more experienced riders to be able to refresh their circuit knowledge before going back out on track.

WHAT IS THE SCHEDULE OF RACING (CURRENTLY) FOR MGP 2022?

Manx Grand Prix 2022 schedule*

Qualifying

Sunday 21 August: Afternoon - Qualifying
Monday 22, Tuesday 23, Wednesday 24, Thursday 25 August: Evening - Qualifying
Friday 26 August: Morning - Qualifying

Racing

Friday 26 August:  Afternoon - Race 1
Saturday 27 August: Morning - Race 2 / Afternoon - Race 3
Monday 29 August: Morning - Race 4 / Afternoon - Race 5

*Full schedule and road closure times to be confirmed in January 2022 following Department of Infrastructure and COMIN approval.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO EXISTING FERRY BOOKINGS FOR THE 2022 CLASSIC TT AND MANX GRAND PRIX?

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company has requested that customers and competitors wait until the Department has released the full schedule for the 2022 Manx Grand Prix before contacting them to discuss options.

Amendment fees will be waived for any bookings during the period to allow passengers to transfer to the dates that they require.

New bookings or amendments for the 2022 MGP will now be possible from <to be announced shortly>.

OR

WHAT ARE THE OPTIONS FOR PEOPLE WITH EXISTING FERRY BOOKING FOR THE ORIGINAL TWO WEEK SCHEDULE?

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company has confirmed that any customers with sailings for the 2022 Manx Grand Prix will be able to amend their booking to an alternative date and crossing subject to availability. Customers are advised to contact the Reservations Team on 08722 992 992 or IOM.Reservations@steam-packet.com.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN ABOUT EXISTING TRAVEL OR ACCOMMODATION BOOKINGS FOR THE 2022 CLASSIC TT RACES?

The Department can confirm that there will be a full race programme due to take place over the late August bank holiday weekend, including races featuring Classic bikes.

Customers are also encouraged to refer to the booking terms and conditions for the booking agent, travel, accommodation or activity provider.

WHAT HAPPENS WITH EXISTING TICKETS FOR OFFICIAL EXPERIENCES FOR THE 2022 CLASSIC TT RACES?

No official tickets have been sold for the 2022 Classic TT Races but if someone has committed money to a third party operator as an advance on ticket sales, they should contact the third party to discuss your options.

The Department for Enterprise will shortly be launching tickets for the full race schedule for the Manx Grand Prix, including the Classic race schedule.

If you have any queries about Official Ticketed Experiences for the 2022 Manx Grand Prix please contact iomttraces@gov.im.
19-01-2022, 07:22 PM
Website Find Reply
Multirider Offline

Threads: 1
MANX GRAND PRIX 2022
Since 2005 I visit the MGP every year. My oppinion to the changes:

Ist a step in the right direction to breathe new life into the MGP, which has been weak for years. This had already been attempted in 2013 with the introduction of the Classic TT. Unfortunately without success. Well-known MGP riders like Alan Bud Jackson, Bill Swallow or Maria Costello switched to the Classic TT and the MGP became even less interesting. The fans came to the Classic TT in droves, enjoyed the show and returned home on monday after the races. Only a few were interested in the MGP races. Many marshals also left early and the royal army even had to be used to secure the course.

The gap between MGP and Classic TT was already noticeable when buying the program package. No common racing calendar but separate booklets. A member oft he V.M.C.C. who was involved in earlier years into planning talks between the V.M.C.C., Government and MMCC described discussions with the MMCC as „difficult“.

Therefore i'm full of hope that the new concept will be successful.

Rudi
Don´t dream your life, live your dreams!

22-02-2022, 10:28 PM
Website Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
RE: MANX GRAND PRIX 2022
This 'reorganisation' strikes me as a classic example of reinventing the wheel. In fact the 'new' format is almost identical to my first MGP in 1993, albeit there was a lot more practice time for competitors then!
22-02-2022, 11:29 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
Is Tuesday the 30th of August a contingency day for racing if weather bad?

=======================================================================
See you on the island
18-06-2022, 06:16 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 124
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
18-06-2022, 07:43 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

(18-06-2022, 07:43 PM)Chris_Sav Wrote: https://manxgrandprix.org/mgp-calendar/

Does not appear to be

Yeah, i read the same. So, if Mondays weather is bad, that's it for the 2022 manx.

Does nobody care about the people that make the effort to come to the manx and support the meeting.

All this reorganization to suit the tv/online market is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

2023 TT marshals get only two days off in nearly a fortnight, that's the same marshals that get zilch reward for giving up time and fuel to marshal and make the event happen.

I fear what will eventually kill racing on the mountain course won't be the health &safety brigade, it won't be the residents, it won't be the riders, the team's or the fans..... It will be the greedy organisers that prioritise a fat cheque over the well being of the event.

Sitting back in your laurels is a dangerous thing.

See you on the island
18-06-2022, 08:06 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Only get one day clear of marshalling out of nine in the Manx GP this year with the new schedule and that's a Sunday contingency day as well.

I'll give it a whirl this year as I was already booked, see how it goes, but having thoughts on next year.
18-06-2022, 10:50 PM
Find Reply
civ Offline

Threads: 3
(18-06-2022, 08:06 PM)H2pots Wrote: All this reorganization to suit the tv/online market is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I haven't seen any announcement of TV/online coverage for the Manx - can you share some details please?

(18-06-2022, 08:06 PM)H2pots Wrote: 2023 TT marshals get only two days off in nearly a fortnight

Remember that the marshals are volunteers, they get exactly the days off they want as they only put in for the sessions they choose to cover. If they choose to work every day plus contingency days, then they've chosen to let the weather decide their days off Icon_mrgreen
20-06-2022, 03:14 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

(20-06-2022, 03:14 PM)civ Wrote: Remember that the marshals are volunteers, they get exactly the days off they want as they only put in for the sessions they choose to cover. If they choose to work every day plus contingency days, then they've chosen to let the weather decide their days off  Icon_mrgreen

it's also called teamwork!

if you opt out of a day as a regular then you feel you are letting your friends down .
20-06-2022, 06:42 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
I have said before the Marshalls need some reward for what they do. At the very least free travel to the island. If they give that I still wouldn't Marshall so fair play to them that do.
And those on the mountain deserve a bloody medal.
20-06-2022, 07:06 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

On my way Tuesday morning just 300 miles to Liverpool. Might just make last orders at the Creek!

Two unavoidable dropouts in my party unfortunately so empty seats on the boat and a light load on the van!.

Anyone know if there's an Italian Bike Night at Port Erin this year? Bike day at Peel next Thursday.
(This post was last modified: 14-08-2022, 09:39 PM by Chris_Sav.)
14-08-2022, 09:27 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
I'm over later today until 28th on plane ... after booking plane I managed to buy an enduro bike on the island which I could do with getting back to UK at some point so if anyone has space for a DRZ400 and fancies earning a sizeable drink / boat contribution please let me know - I can collect in UK at a convenient time ...... safe journey all MGP travellers.
16-08-2022, 09:26 AM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

I'm going out on what would have been Friday of practice week but is now the first day of racing, if all goes well I should see the first race, straight off the boat, straight up to st ninians and try to get a spot.

Roll on though, I'm looking forward to being back on the island. These days, i think I prefer the manx to the TT, much much more relaxed, much less traffic, much better riding but I just can't get the TT bug out of my veins.

If the manx stays at this schedule, next year i might go out on the middle of practice week and have a few more days there.

See you at the manx all

See you on the island
(This post was last modified: 16-08-2022, 10:19 PM by H2pots.)
16-08-2022, 10:18 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
I booked my normal Saturday to Saturday 2 week trip in 2019

Whilst I had the opportunity to change my booking and come back earlier (for free) when the event schedule was changed, I decided to stay for the original 2 weeks

So, as well as taking my recently completed TZ/RD Yamaha, I'll bring my stand up paddle board, Paraglider, unicycle and skateboard for the additional stay - my original plan was to have 2 motorcycles with me (Yam & Gixer thou R) but a bout of post TT covid scuppered that plan

The main issue I have had with the changes is that since 2013, I tell people I'm off to the Classic TT and they immediately work out that it's the TT for old bikes. If I say I'm off to the Manx Grand Prix,  people have no clue what I'm talking about! (This despite the MGP being in existence for nearly 100 years) - I feel the organisers have some work to do there.....

I thought the TT commentary this year, after a nervous start, ended up the best for years - I hope the MGP commentary is also improved over 2019's efforts. Personally I  don't care whether it's a person or a camera at Ramsey hairpin providing the commentary is good

Having been a visitor since 1976, I  can't wait to be back on the Island and hoping for an incident free event, with great racing, great company and a lot of smiles (and maybe a few beers)

Have a great Classic TT.....err I mean Manx Grand Prix everyone!!
(This post was last modified: 17-08-2022, 07:54 AM by Nasher.)
17-08-2022, 07:50 AM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 364
I'm out on the "Redeye special", 02.15 on 25th August, (one week tonight!!  Party2 ) back on the Tuesday evening, cheapest option I could find!
No bikes this time, foot soldiering.
17-08-2022, 11:01 AM
Website Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
I can't make it this year there's nobody to look after the dog my misses would sooner put me in the kennels rather than him anyway everybody have a great time.
17-08-2022, 01:35 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
I only found out on the 10th that I could make it over. I arrived last night! Have to go back on the 28th though unless I can change it. Awesome light coming out of Liverpool so I'll put some 'departure' shots on the Stickypix 2022 thread.
19-08-2022, 08:19 AM
Website Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Beer's good!

Lots of fresh tarred and gravelled roads with 20 signs off the main drag.
20-08-2022, 09:04 AM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
Got here around 16:00 this afternoon - very wet, but managed to get moho set up in a short dry spell

Already bumped into lots of old friends and am definitely gonna have a great time in the next 2 weeks - bring it on !
20-08-2022, 07:40 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Appealing for marshalls to sign on this morning to get the first session underway
(This post was last modified: 21-08-2022, 09:06 AM by Chris_Sav.)
21-08-2022, 09:04 AM
Find Reply