IRISH SUPERBIKE CHAMPION DEREK SHIELS JOINS HORST SAIGER AT GREENALL RACING
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
IRISH SUPERBIKE CHAMPION DEREK SHIELS JOINS HORST SAIGER AT GREENALL RACING
[Image: classicTTredbanner.jpg]

IRISH SUPERBIKE CHAMPION DEREK SHIELS JOINS HORST SAIGER AT GREENALL RACING FOR ISLE OF MAN CLASSIC TT

Greenall Racing will return to this year’s Classic TT Races presented by Bennetts with Irish Superbike Champion Derek Shiels joining regular team member Horst Saiger in a two-pronged attack on the Motorsport Merchandise Superbike Classic TT Race.

The duo will ride identically prepared ZXR750 Kawasaki’s in the four-lap race which is scheduled to be held on Bank Holiday Monday, August 28th.

Austria’s Saiger has become a staunch supporter of the Classic TT event, adding the meeting to his Isle of Man TT Races schedule and having finished 13th in the 2015 race, he improved considerably in 2016, finishing sixth and lapping at an impressive 122.529mph.

However, like a number of other riders he fell foul to a technical infringement and was removed from the results. He did, however, finish in a fine 10th place in the Bennetts Senior Classic TT Race riding an immaculately prepared Egli-Vincent EVG500.

Sheils will be making his debut at the Classic TT and although he had a disappointing time on the Mountain Course in June at the TT, retiring from all four of his races, he did lap at 128.780mph to become the fastest rider from Southern Ireland around the 37.73-mile course.

The double Irish Superbike Champion has again been in imperious form at the Irish National road race meetings this year and his appearance at the Classic TT adds further intrigue to a high-quality line-up.

The team is well established within road racing circles as they were originally formed over 30 years ago and since then have had many successes on the Mountain Course and the Irish roads with riders such as Bill Ingham, Geoff Johnson, Steve Hazlett, Bob Jackson, Jim Hodson and Jim Moodie.

They also prepared the 926cc Ducati for the late Simon Beck, which he rode when finishing 3rd in the 1995 Formula 1 TT Race, splitting the 4 factory Honda’s as well as building the popular Lancastrian’s factory ZX7RR Kawasaki’s.

Commenting on his Classic TT debut, Derek Shiels said:

“I’m really looking forward to getting back to the Island for the Classic TT and hopefully I’ll have more luck than I did at the TT in June. The Classic TT has gone from strength to strength since it started so it is good to finally get involved. I’m excited about riding the Greenall Kawasaki’s which look to be amongst the best bikes out there, and I am hopeful of getting a good result for Angus (Greenall) and the team.”

[Image: dekshiels1.jpg]
Horst Saiger

[Image: dekshiels2.jpg]
Derek Shiels

Pics by Dave Kneen

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2017, 12:50 PM by Malcolm.)
07-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Website Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
IRISH SUPERBIKE CHAMPION DEREK SHIELS JOINS HORST SAIGER AT GREENALL RACING - by Malcolm - 07-08-2017, 12:45 PM