Glamping security and power
paully21 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 4
Glamping security and power
My friend and I are TT newbies. We are attending the practice week and "glamping" through Regency Travel at the "Evolution Glamping - Douglas, Dhsob Fc, Blackberry Lane, Douglas" (<- that's what our ticket says) site.

I have tried to get answers on two fronts from them, but no results...

1. We are coming from the U.S. and we will have some minor valuables with us (a laptop, camera, iPad, etc.). I'm concerned about leaving these items in the glamping tent. Does anyone have any experience with glamping item security? We just don't want to have to lug these items around all the time. Are there any "lockers" anywhere available for hire to store our items?

2. How can we recharge our batteries for phones, laptop and camera? We can bring several powerpack batteries (they are heavy to carry), but we don't want to do that if we don't have to. It would be tragically hilarious if we lugged a bunch of extra batteries only to find a well-equipped charging station on every corner.

Thanks!
19-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Glamping security and power
Never been to Blackberry lane but have camped at several sites on the Island and they all have charging facilities and blackberry lane have previously said they had on their website.  Don't worry about it, just ask in pubs/cafes etc and they will usually let you plug in, I think the Sure shop in the grandstand let my mate charge up there once.
The valuables are a bit more difficult, I've always just left my stuff in the tent and never had any bother but there have been growing reports of petty thefts from campsites so I would be a bit cautious, the only lockers I know about are in the ferry terminal which at least is open about 20 hours a day but it isn't ideal.

Look the rule on the Island is this - if you have a problem, any problem just tell a manxie,  in a pub, a shop in the street, in a taxi anywhere, sooner or later one of them will sort you out its just the manx way.

In my youth in the days before we had cash points four of us walked into the little cafe which used to be in the entrance to the shopping centre up near the archibald knox ordered breakfast and then discovered it was a bank holiday so our trip to the bank to cash a cheque was off and we were skint, the lady owner lent us £20 which we returned after the bank reopened, mind you it was 1978 and beer was 28p a pint (half the price 'across') and fish and chips in onchan was about 60p!! 
The reason you probably won't get much response from Regency is that they are gradually winding up the business, would have thought the glamping company would help you looking at their prices!
(This post was last modified: 19-05-2017, 09:10 PM by Malcolm.)
19-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
I no at the sure shop behind the grandstand they have lockers were u can charge your devices in a locker so u can just come back a few hours later.
19-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Find Reply
paully21 Offline
Just Getting Started

That's all great to hear. Thanks so much for the replies! We can't wait.
19-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Find Reply
iomfireblade Offline

Threads: 2
im sure that the club house at the campsite will be open, for you to charge your phones etc.
(This post was last modified: 23-05-2017, 07:43 PM by Malcolm.)
23-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
Most pubs will let you plugin a charger if you ask nicely and buy a few beers while its charging
23-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

(19-05-2017, 05:44 PM)badlyoverdrawnboy Wrote: The reason you probably won't get much response from Regency is that they are gradually winding up the business, would have thought the glamping company would help you looking at their prices!
There is an interesting story behind why the business is being 'wound up'.
23-05-2017, 07:54 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Lockers at the sea terminal.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

23-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Who's taking over Home stay if Regency are being wound up?
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

23-05-2017, 08:23 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
(23-05-2017, 07:54 PM)Stroller Wrote: There is an interesting story behind why the business is being 'wound up'.

How could the DED make Regency an ' Official TT partner' without doing due diligence?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
23-05-2017, 08:34 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 364
They certainly got a lot of stick on the old TT forum, something that i thought could have been instrumental in it being closed down.
23-05-2017, 09:09 PM
Website Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
What's the story stroller?
23-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

The main criticism was that it was putting another snout in the trough when it was not needed especially when the old system worked perfectly
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
23-05-2017, 09:46 PM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

(23-05-2017, 09:45 PM)Chrisp955 Wrote: What's the story stroller?

Basically - the guy running Regency had a few other companies and was involved in VAT fraud. Fuller details are in the link on my earlier post
24-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Find Reply
RedlineRick Offline
Cotton Top

Threads: 1
Rolleyes  RE: Glamping security and power
What the heck is Glamping?

oh wait google brought me to glamping dot com... nevermind
"A few yrs ago they screwed up a perfectly good working website just because they want to be 'modern' and now we have a sluggish ugly problematic and feature lacking website. but hey, its modern..., old sites are always better".
24-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Bell  RE: Glamping security and power
(23-05-2017, 09:09 PM)captainsparkledotcom Wrote: They certainly got a lot of stick on the old TT forum, something that i thought could have been instrumental in it being closed down.

I'm told it was a factor but not a decisive one. The senior staff at DED were basically fed up with the untruths and half truths being spouted when people got all (understandably) emotive about their favourite sport. If a genie gets out of the bottle its very difficult to get it back in - even if it isn't a genie!!
There was so much rumour and innuendo that it became impossible to manage so they simply pulled the plug and made it someone else's problem. Hi Malcolm!! Icon_lol

I thought that there was loads of genuine customer feedback which if harnessed correctly would provide great advice for driving change and that it was worth putting up with the drivel to get this feedback. Clearly someone else didn't share my view.
26-05-2017, 01:44 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

(23-05-2017, 08:34 PM)c iom tt Wrote: How could the DED make Regency an ' Official TT partner' without doing due diligence?

I'm not sure that a criminal VAT fraud would've shown up in any due diligence checks. Icon_mrgreen
26-05-2017, 01:45 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Not for us normal mortals, but the DED is a Government Dept it would have been easy to have checked if there were any investigations being carried out.
Its all academic now.

(This post was last modified: 26-05-2017, 04:27 PM by Malcolm.)
26-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Find Reply