New Partner Sought for Scarborough Bike Racing
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
New Partner Sought for Scarborough Bike Racing
[Image: scarboroughgeneral.jpg]
11:48am 13th June 2018

Scarborough council has announced it's looking for new partners to run motorbike racing at Oliver's Mount.

It's after the cancellation of recent events because of unresolved safety issues.

The council says:

"On several occasions in the last few months we have made known to the club our concerns about the issues at Oliver’s Mount, particularly regarding safety. We have tried to work closely with the club to try to resolve its outstanding issues, but despite our continued efforts to help, very frustratingly these have not been met with a suitable, responsible commitment from the club. We have offered assistance (including financial), but the club has been unable or unwilling to provide us with suitable business proposals and plans that would give us the confidence and ability to progress such matters.

The Auto-Cycle Union’s (ACU) refusal earlier this year to grant a licence for racing at the venue confirmed our fears that the club had not dealt with the safety requirements required and expected of them. The safety of riders and spectators is of paramount importance to us and combined with subsequent issues at the recent hill climb event, including late cancellation of advertised events and the ongoing negative impact on the venue's reputation, we have been left with no other choice but to reach the regrettable decision to terminate the club's licence to operate at the venue.

The high profile, international reputation of the Oliver's Mount circuit and its value to Scarborough is extremely important to us and we are committed to ensuring that its reputation and racing at the circuit is maintained. Continuing our relationship with the Auto 66 Club would not achieve this. We have therefore already begun discussions with interested parties, including the ACU, who have shown significant interest in helping us, to ensure high quality and safe racing continues to be delivered at the important and historic venue."

[Image: yorkshirecoastradiologo.jpg]
13-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Website Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
RE: New Partner Sought for Scarborough Bike Racing
I really do hope they find someone to get this iconic venue back on its feet again.

It's an amazing circuit, the only public roads venue in England, with history going back to 1946, and all the greats have been there, it would be a tragedy to lose the place.
14-06-2018, 11:07 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
What are these "safety issues" ?

I've not been to Scarborough for a long time now given the prices they're asking and none of the main names there anymore.
14-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
agree with the posts above
olivers mount is a great place
its a unforgiving place to get it wrong like most road events
im sure they would get more there if pricing was more realistic like it was years ago
but costs are increasing to run such events and maybe the top riders arnt as interested as they once were maybe again down to prize money being lower and costs higher
combined with the risks involved then they decide its no longer for them

it will be a big shame if this event is lost
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
14-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

(14-06-2018, 09:02 PM)AntG Wrote: What are these "safety issues"

In a nutshell 2 bikes went through the fence in separate incidents at last years Gold Cup meeting, both times injuring spectators, so the ACU have been forced to act, and as I understand it the club has been unable to meet the ACU requirements in relation to extra provision of recticel fencing and other conditions, so the circuit has had its permit withdrawn.
14-06-2018, 09:28 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
Looking at some of the posts on social media, it seems there's issues with the club, McGuinness posted on Twitter that they still owe him money and competitors and fans still haven't been refunded for entry fees/tickets for the Spring Cup.
15-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
Oliver's mount debacle
I notice that Oliver's mount is in some bother. The scarby council don't want the auto66, the auto66 seem very very sluggish with refunds for advanced bookings and race fees and meetings getting cancelled.

I hope there's a resolution in the future as olivers mount is my favorite mainland event and I intend to continue to go.

=======================================================================
See you on the island
16-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

RE: Oliver's mount debacle
(16-06-2018, 10:52 PM)H2pots Wrote: I notice that Oliver's mount is in some bother. The scarby council don't want the auto66, the auto66 seem very very sluggish with refunds for advanced bookings and race fees and meetings getting cancelled.

I hope there's a resolution in the future as olivers mount is my favorite mainland event and I intend to continue to go.

Thats not true =the the Council have always supported the races even against local resident complaints - if they didn't want the races they would have just not renewed the lease - its a private road and they close it when they want.

Anyone with any involvement with racing at Ollys knows what the problem is and that the organisers have a long history of advertising 'stars' who never turn up and exaggerating the quality of entrants, theres also many racers  who have struggled to get  appearance and prize money. The Auto 66 'club' is actually a Ltd company in the same ownership of the company who are contracted to provide all the services at the circuit and which owns all of the equipment - at the moment they are threatening to put that company into liiquidation if pressed - thereby killing the event off. Nobody is going to get any refunds for prepaid tickets even if a new company takes over they won't be able to afford to honour existing tickets.

Ticket and camping prices have way outstripped the quality of the offer and even when there were 'good' years little of the profit appears to have been saved for a rainy day.

Everyone who has ever dealt with the personalities in charge will understand why the Council has decided it no longer wants the involvement of these people in the running of one of the resorts jewels. Sadly the only way of saving the event is to have a completely new team with substantial financial backing running the event professionally- I'm only seven numbers away form having the cash!.
17-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

(17-06-2018, 10:30 AM)badlyoverdrawnboy Wrote: Thats not true =the the Council have always supported the races even against local resident complaints - if they didn't want the races they would have just not renewed the lease - its a private road and they close it when they want.

I didn't say the council don't want the races, I said the council don't want the auto66!

See you on the island
17-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

(17-06-2018, 01:38 PM)H2pots Wrote: I didn't say the council don't want the races, I said the council don't want the auto66!

Sorry H2pots - I'd also just read a shed load of posts on facebook -many of which were unfairly slating the Council (and I'm not one for defending Councils) - Apologies.
Theres also a lot of people who don't realise that Auto 66 is a private limited company and not a 'club' at all - genuine supporters marshalls etc have been defending themselves because they think they are being attacked - a lot of posters don't understand how its all been carved up
17-06-2018, 02:37 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

No probs badly

Fwiw.... I think Oliver's mount would benefit more WITHOUT the auto66.... Let's hope a new partner comes through quickly

See you on the island
17-06-2018, 04:19 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
Growing up Scarborough was our local circuit and we'd go as often as we could and I've seen some great days racing there. But the complaints about the club (from competitors) have been going on for years. I seem to recall regular conflict over the Irish stars getting paid appearance money (in contrast to the mainland based stars).

I know very little about the economics of running the events but I wouldn't envy anyone the task of trying to keep it afloat when a couple of weekends bad weather could just about send you broke. Hopefully it gets resolved soon and for the best.
Warning Level 0% since 2006
18-06-2018, 12:11 AM
Find Reply