Dissapointed.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dissapointed.
Does anyone else feel that the various prints of Joey Dunlop that are being offered for sale are of ordinary quality. Are the likenesses accurate? Admittedly we have only seen photos of the statue, but is this Joey? What do other people think?
It all seems a bit sad, perhaps the artists have the best intentions but dosen't the great man really deserves better than this.
11-06-2002, 02:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Dissapointed.
I do share some of your concern. There are anumber of printed images of the great man that are not at all good.
As for the statue? Well, the bike, helmet and clothing are excelent. The face is not quite so good. But, I think the overall effect is superb. Also, the position could not be better. he seems to be looking witfully up towards Brandywell.
We went to look at it on the Saturday (8th)
The atmosphere was quite amazing. Sombre, respectful and lots more. How to keep a dry eye was the problem.
Oh, by the way. If you take a bike up there, be careful on the lose gravel.
11-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too like the statue. And I too was moved on Saturday morning during my visit (Wonder if I saw you?) It probably doesn't have an excellent likeness but it's still damn good.

I also think some of the prints are poor, particularly the one advertised in the flyer which came with the program. I can't remember the artist.
11-06-2002, 10:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good news about the statue placement, would love to visit it next year.
The artist on the flyer with the program is Harry Miller an American, he has a website.
<A HREF="http://www.motographics.com">www.motographics.com</A>
Also Jim Bradley did the work on page 89 of the program,some of the proceeds of which go to support the Joey Dunlop injured riders club.
There is certainly no disrespect to these and other artists but I just wondered if other people felt the same let-down feeling. You know when you see pictures on plates in gift shops that look nothing like their subject.
Perhaps the image of the man is just too hard to capture. However we are lucky to have all those wonderful photographs to remember him with. The Joey at the TT calendar is a case in point.

12-06-2002, 12:30 AM