Laverty rolls up for Swan Yamaha to complete winning combination
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Laverty rolls up for Swan Yamaha to complete winning combination
[Image: swanyamahahdr.gif]

Shaun Muir Racing (SMR) has confirmed today (Wednesday) their completed line up for the 2011 MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship as Michael Laverty joins Tommy Hill as the team target a maiden BSB title.

Laverty moves to the team after finishing fourth in this year's BSB championship standings and the former British Supersport champion is now determined to make an impact on the Yamaha in a bid to secure a maiden title in the Superbike class. Swan, manufacturer of the UK's number one best selling filter and rolling papers, remains as title sponsor for a second season.

[Image: lavertyswan1.jpg]

Laverty said:

"I am really excited about the season ahead and joining the Swan Yamaha team alongside Tommy and I know we can definitely push each other all the way for the championship. I have had a good year and now I believe that I can take another step forward and fight for the 2011 BSB title with the support that the team have in place for next season. I am also in a unique situation where my brother Eugene is riding for the factory Yamaha team in the World Superbike Championship so the aim is for us both to end the year with success for them in our respective championships. We have already been planning ahead and the team are working on a strong testing programme to begin at the start of next year, which will be the foundations we need to be ready for the opening round at Brands Hatch. I am really looking forward to the Easter weekend now and I think winter will go a lot faster knowing that I am going to be riding for one of the strongest teams in the BSB paddock."

Team Manager Shaun Muir said:

"It is an exiting time for the whole team and the prospect of Michael joining Tommy in the Swan Yamaha garage next season shows that we intend to come back even stronger next year. We truly believe that we have signed two of the brightest prospects in BSB who will both be ready to come out fighting for the championship. The combination of their desire to win, which has been evident from both riders this season, and the switch to Yamaha machinery should make for a winning combination at Swan Yamaha."

Swan Marketing Manager Mark Alldred concluded:

"We are thrilled to confirm the full team line up for the 2011 BSB season and welcome Michael to the team. We feel it is a great rider pairing at Swan Yamaha having signed the two leading British riders from this year's championship for 2011."
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
24-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Laverty rolls up for Swan Yamaha to complete winning combination
As reported in the Belfast Telegraph

Michael Laverty is the latest British Superbike star to opt for pastures new in 2011, taking up the offer of a factory-supported contract with Shaun Muir’s all-new Swan Yamaha team alongside Englishman Tommy Hill.

The 29-year-old Toomebridge lad, now residing in Wales, finished fourth in this season’s BSB series with Relentless Suzuki, but the lure of riding Yamahas, with direct information coming from his brother Eugene’s Sterilgarda Yamaha World Superbike team, was, as Laverty explained, 'too good an opportunity to turn down."

“What swung the deal, was being guaranteed the bikes will be built by Eugene’s WSB team in Italy,” he enthused.

“We will have all the same parts as them and we will also get the chance to share their data. Obviously not after every round, but it’s as close to a full factory team as you will get in British Superbikes.”

This season the official Yamaha British Superbike effort was headed up by former Grand Prix rider, Rob McElnea's Motorpoint Yamaha team, albeit with little success.

Having gone through a number of top riders such as Andrew Pitt and local man Ian Lowry — Laverty insists that leaving what, from the outside at least, appeared to be a safe seat at Suzuki, is not a risk.

“People have said to me, ‘it’s not the bike to be on,’ but with factory support the bikes will be as good as the ones GSE ran under the Airwaves Yamaha banner in 2009 and no one could touch them,” he said.

“Eugene was also really impressed when he rode the bike for the first time at Magny Cours and once I got assurances we’d be using the same bikes, including engines, suspension and electronics — I knew, on paper, this would be the best team in BSB.”

Laverty fought out this season’s BSB championship with Hill on different sides of the Suzuki divide, with the Crescent Worx and Relentless by TAS teams.

Now team-mates at Yamaha, former British Supersport champion Laverty is relishing the prospect of riding alongside his former rival.

“I have been guaranteed there will be no number one in the team,” said Laverty.

“Tommy was also adamant he didn’t want that. We are both pretty much at the same level in experience and ability and will push each other all the way.

“After that, it’s down to the best man on the day. Shaun has also told us the bikes will be identical and if new parts become available, the team will wait until both riders can use them; I can’t ask for much more than that.”

The decision to leave Hector and Philip Neill’s set-up was a difficult one for Laverty having finished the season so strongly, but he has nothing but praise for his former employers.

“TAS did an excellent job for me this season and I have nothing but praise for them, but the Yamaha deal with factory support and Eugene’s potential input swung it for me,” he said.

“Also, this opportunity could lead to a World Superbike ride, which is still my ultimate goal. I’m getting stronger every year and I think given the opportunity, I could have four or five good years on the World scene.”

Laverty and his mechanics will travel to Italy in the coming weeks to meet the Sterilgarda Yamaha team who are currently testing at Phillip Island in Australia; then it’s off to Spain in the New Year for tests on the team’s YZF-R1, before commencing official BSB tests that kick-start the 2011 season.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
24-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Website Find Reply