Should bikes race in the wet ?
George Offline

Threads: 50
RE: Should bikes race in the wet ?
(09-09-2011, 05:29 PM)tripod Wrote:
(09-09-2011, 03:26 PM)George Wrote: The MGP is run on Public roads and as such oil, petrol diesel etc get dumped on the road, in the dry its not always possible to spot it if its soaked in and dried. When it rains, the water will losen any contaminates in the road surface and no tyre could take care of this problem. Area of new tarmak have been laid on the TT track just a week before the races started and this two can omit oils if it rains.

Who remembers the 1999 production race at the TT and how many riders come to grief, is was so bad the local hospital ran out of Beds (fact) and its not very nice spending 2 days in a fecking ward chair.

Still waiting for the answer why no racing in the rain at the TT

Because the bloody superstars don't want to DIE in the wet!!!!!!

Entertaining you all for free.
09-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Find Reply
ade! Offline

Threads: 30
you know tripod; i'm starting to like you :-) that's just supposing i don't know you already of course. you remind me of a wild young thing that used to post on all the forums. he rode fast, he drove fast, he talked fast and he wound boring old geriatrics up fast as well with his passionate and no nonsense postings. and looking back through some of his old postings it seems he was pretty damned right on a lot of [so called] iffy topics. like superstars pulling out of every ugp race a few years ago with 'electrical problems' - or as he saw it every time the clouds opened. can't remember the bloke's name at the moment [the poster, not the rider], but i know he used to live 50 yards away from geoff barry and about 200 from ivan rhodes - and about 300 from john kirkham, who lives in the first house in ockbrook - just across brian clough way from borrowash :-)
ade!
roll on scarborough. yeeha!
ACU? why not add "nt" to the end, you'll get the idea!
09-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
[/size]
(09-09-2011, 08:21 PM)ade! Wrote: you know tripod; i'm starting to like you :-) that's just supposing i don't know you already of course. you remind me of a wild young thing that used to post on all the forums. he rode fast, he drove fast, he talked fast and he wound boring old geriatrics up fast as well with his passionate and no nonsense postings. and looking back through some of his old postings it seems he was pretty damned right on a lot of [so called] iffy topics. like superstars pulling out of every ugp race a few years ago with 'electrical problems' - or as he saw it every time the clouds opened. can't remember the bloke's name at the moment [the poster, not the rider], but i know he used to live 50 yards away from geoff barry and about 200 from ivan rhodes - and about 300 from john kirkham, who lives in the first house in ockbrook - just across brian clough way from borrowash :-)
ade!

Nice to see you're still going, Ade - you know a hell of a lot more than certain painters & decorators round this site !

My final word, in answer to the basic question in this topic's heading -

YES

As to your mystery poster, wouldn't have been Garry D would it??
09-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

(09-09-2011, 11:30 PM)larryd Wrote: [/size]
(09-09-2011, 08:21 PM)ade! Wrote: you know tripod; i'm starting to like you :-) that's just supposing i don't know you already of course. you remind me of a wild young thing that used to post on all the forums. he rode fast, he drove fast, he talked fast and he wound boring old geriatrics up fast as well with his passionate and no nonsense postings. and looking back through some of his old postings it seems he was pretty damned right on a lot of [so called] iffy topics. like superstars pulling out of every ugp race a few years ago with 'electrical problems' - or as he saw it every time the clouds opened. can't remember the bloke's name at the moment [the poster, not the rider], but i know he used to live 50 yards away from geoff barry and about 200 from ivan rhodes - and about 300 from john kirkham, who lives in the first house in ockbrook - just across brian clough way from borrowash :-)
ade!

Nice to see you're still going, Ade - you know a hell of a lot more than certain painters & decorators round this site !

My final word, in answer to the basic question in this topic's heading -

YES

As to your mystery poster, wouldn't have been Garry D would it??

See your wrong again, getting me mixed up with someone else, must be all that racing in the dry on full wets thats done itIcon_lol
10-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(09-09-2011, 05:29 PM)tripod Wrote:
(09-09-2011, 03:26 PM)George Wrote: The MGP is run on Public roads and as such oil, petrol diesel etc get dumped on the road, in the dry its not always possible to spot it if its soaked in and dried. When it rains, the water will losen any contaminates in the road surface and no tyre could take care of this problem. Area of new tarmak have been laid on the TT track just a week before the races started and this two can omit oils if it rains.

Who remembers the 1999 production race at the TT and how many riders come to grief, is was so bad the local hospital ran out of Beds (fact) and its not very nice spending 2 days in a fecking ward chair.

Still waiting for the answer why no racing in the rain at the TT

Because the bloody superstars don't want to ride in the wet!!!!!!

That is the best comment I have heard, so far.!,
10-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Find Reply
Ben the Plumber Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
George if you are going to quote someone don't change the words in the quote
10-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
(10-09-2011, 02:24 PM)Ben the Plumber Wrote: George if you are going to quote someone don't change the words in the quote

Give it up, Ben - if he can't read, then he certainly can't quote accurately ExclamationExclamation

Hehe
10-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

I have no problem with racing in the rain as long as we can use tyres that can do the job, but certanly not on the Isle of Man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4WozgcDq6g example, and we have not had one dry race meeting all year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ0cKfIKT...re=related
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM by George.)
10-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Unlesss the comments in the postings within this thread remain sensible and non-personal, I will have no alternative but to close it and dis-allow any further postings.

Keep to the topic and do not wander off into territories that evoke further comments that have next to nothing to do with the subject matter.

OK, let's be sensible and debate like adults.

[Image: boxing_8.gif]

Malcolm
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM by Malcolm.)
11-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Website Find Reply
ade! Offline

oh don't spoil it malcolm. it's ages since the knitting circle got heated and ruffled a few feathers. besides, if there hadn't been a slanging match sub-plot to this thread would we have had so many viewings? i don't think so. if the boys wanna fight you better let 'em [phil lynnot]. if it degenerates to actual slander or defamation of character then by all means close it, but this is good, healthy debate. larry, the bloke from borrowash was me :-) garry's from doncaster area.
ade!
ps. yes, racing should take place in the wet.
11-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Find Reply
George Offline

(11-09-2011, 10:29 AM)ade! Wrote: oh don't spoil it malcolm. it's ages since the knitting circle got heated and ruffled a few feathers. besides, if there hadn't been a slanging match sub-plot to this thread would we have had so many viewings? i don't think so. if the boys wanna fight you better let 'em [phil lynnot]. if it degenerates to actual slander or defamation of character then by all means close it, but this is good, healthy debate. larry, the bloke from borrowash was me :-) garry's from doncaster area.
ade!

Would you do it
MGP/TT in the Pizzing rain for 4/6 laps
11-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Find Reply
tripod Offline

Threads: 0
(11-09-2011, 02:20 PM)George Wrote:
(11-09-2011, 10:29 AM)ade! Wrote: oh don't spoil it malcolm. it's ages since the knitting circle got heated and ruffled a few feathers. besides, if there hadn't been a slanging match sub-plot to this thread would we have had so many viewings? i don't think so. if the boys wanna fight you better let 'em [phil lynnot]. if it degenerates to actual slander or defamation of character then by all means close it, but this is good, healthy debate. larry, the bloke from borrowash was me :-) garry's from doncaster area.
ade!

Would you do it

Yes I would if I was allowed to but no one has to if they don't want toBye
11-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

(11-09-2011, 02:50 PM)tripod Wrote:
(11-09-2011, 02:20 PM)George Wrote:
ade!

Would you do it

Yes I would if I was allowed to but no one has to if they don't want toBye

When you say if allowed to, are you refering to the TT or MGP, because I cant find the answer why not allowed to race at the TT in the Rain
11-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
If I am correct, Tripod has raced the TT course in the wet. Have you, George?
12-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

(12-09-2011, 12:48 PM)Jo Rowe Wrote: If I am correct, Tripod has raced the TT course in the wet. Have you, George?

Have you ever lost a leg and spent 2 years in hospital after racing in the rain at the TT, or lost your team mate in a wet TT, but while your asking questions please answer why no racing in the Rain at the TT please.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2011, 05:04 PM by George.)
12-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

I've lost a housemate in the dry. And many friends in wet and dry conditions. Mostly dry though, in all honesty.

I can't answer why there's no racing in the rain at the TT. I think the Clerk of the Course is in a very difficult position and I wouldn't wish for his job for anything.

My own personal view is that if the helicopters can fly and there isn't standing/running water, then go for it. It won't be long before we have a TT or Manx with no racing at all if we have to avoid rain.

My favourite TT race of all time was held in the rain. I also have happy memories of a rain soaked Manx race with the added 'interest' of when we should pit as we knew the race was likely to be shortened.
12-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Find Reply
tripod Offline

Threads: 0
(12-09-2011, 05:00 PM)George Wrote:
(12-09-2011, 12:48 PM)Jo Rowe Wrote: If I am correct, Tripod has raced the TT course in the wet. Have you, George?

Have you ever lost a leg and spent 2 years in hospital after racing in the rain at the TT, or lost your team mate in a wet TT, but while your asking questions please answer why no racing in the Rain at the TT please.

As I stated earlier in the thread, the reason we do not race in the rain is because the superstars/big teams do not want to, so the rest of us must do as we are told. We go back to our tents/caravans and sit out another day.
The super teams are only interested in racing if lap records are being broken or at least if breaking the lap record is possible. The fact that racing in the wet is more skillful is not taken into account, not very good advertising in MCN if you win at only 100 and a little bit mph.
12-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Tripod, you have a PM.
12-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

Just to clarify things, this thread is not intended to slag off the COC, Technical crew, medics or Marshall's plus the many more people behind the scenes who in all weathers turn out and do a fine job.smilie
12-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Find Reply
ade! Offline

doing a fine job of covering your back george and turning the debate round. perhaps with your full knowledge of the tt and it's spin-offs you could tell us the ratio of riders injured in the wet to riders injured in the dry? i'm sure it makes interesting reading. i'm not trying to slag anybody off. i admire and respect every racer and their decision to race or not is fine by me, i just said don't BAN it, just because of rain. wtf is the point in having treaded tyres? might just as well send everybody out on slicks, till some poor old frozen marshall up on the mountain spots a wee cloud and the red flags come out. this is my last post in this thread, it's getting boring now.
ade!
p.s. i broke my 26 bones and lost 5 pints of blood on a hot, DRY, cloudless, july afternoon.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2011, 10:08 PM by ade!.)
12-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Find Reply