Success for Maria Costello in America on British bike
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: girlracerlogo.jpg]

Bering motorcycle clothing ambassador Maria Costello returned from a fortnight's racing in America this week with three wins and a second place finish to her name.

The Northamptonshire racer had been competing in the Historic Cup Road Racing Series organised by the American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association, in back-to-back events over two weekends: the first at Barber Motorsports in Alabama from October 8 to 9, and the second last weekend at the Daytona International Speedway in Florida.

Invited for the second year running by American bike collector & racer Jamie Waters, Maria had a slightly disappointing start to her American campaign at Barber when the Paul Dunstall Norton Lowboy on which she was due to compete on against one of her heroes, 1993 500cc world champion Kevin Schwantz, broke down. Maria’s consolation came on board a Seeley Norton 750 Commando, owned by Dan Rose, when she took a win and second place in the British, European and American Racing Series class.

And last weekend, racing at the iconic banked Daytona Speedway track for the first time, she claimed two more wins in the BEARS class onboard the Dan Rose Seeley Norton 750, claiming the Historic Cup Road Racing Series World Championship in the process.

[Image: mariacostellousa2011.jpg]
Maria on the Seeley Norton 750 (photo by Fred Sahms )

Costello added:

“Getting this opportunity to race in America for the second time was fantastic. I’d obviously done something right last year. Getting to spend time with my hero Kevin Schwantz was like icing on an already amazing cake. Sure I was disappointed I didn’t get to race him but getting to hang out at the track with him, he even asked for a copy of my book, and the advice he gave was far more rewarding especially as it led to two podiums.”

Costello also spoke of Daytona:

“This track has banking as steep as 31 degrees, as steep as a ski slope, so steep you can't walk up it. It was unreal to ride, like nothing I've ever done before and I’d like to thank racer Pat Mooney for helping get over my nerves and ride the banking. I loved it.”

“I can’t thank Jamie Waters enough for this unforgettable opportunity. He is doing great things for vintage racing in the U.S. He was influential in getting Kevin Schwantz and a huge team of Kiwi riders over to compete in this championship and it now looks like this could become an annual event. Thanks also to Nw York ased bike builder Kenny Cummings for his support and to AHRMA for the great racing and hospitality.”

29-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
RE: Success for Maria Costello in America on British bike
Congrats Maria....well done !!!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
01-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Website Find Reply