Dunlop ready to spread wings
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Dunlop ready to spread wings
[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

Michael Dunlop could be poised to join Ryan Farquhar in the Supertwins 650 races at the North West 200 and Isle of Man TT next year.

The class has been added to the race schedule at both international events for the first time and is already catered for at the Ulster Grand Prix, with two races held at the world’s fastest road race in August.

The inclusion of a Supertwins race at the TT in particular could convince a larger number of road racing’s top riders to consider building a machine, with the lure of a coveted win on the Mountain Course plus a significant prize fund a massive incentive.

Farquhar has revealed that James Hiller and Dan Stewart are set to compete in the event at the TT and Dunlop – who won the Superstock race on the Island in June to secure his second TT victory – admits he too is open to the possibility.

“I wouldn’t rule it out and I’d say the likes of Paul Phillips at the TT will be pressing us to race in it because it’s a new class and they’ll want a decent entry.

“But at the same time it’s an extra bike that needs looked after so we’d need to be getting some kind of help from them because it’s more expense for us.

“I’d need a competitive bike as well and it would depend on how the rules are set up,”
he added.

“If the bike was good enough then I’d give anyone a good run around the TT and it would be nice to try and win another race that hasn’t been won before by my dad or Joey.

“I’ve won the Supersport race at the TT and the Superstock race too and that’s something no Dunlop ever managed before.

“But my priority is getting a good Superbike sorted first; if I’m going to ride a Supertwin next year it will be the last thing on the list to be built.”

Dunlop and his brother William will make their debuts at the Macau Grand Prix in the Far East in November and although the Ballymoney man is relishing the opportunity, he was disappointed to learn that he won’t be riding one of Paul Bird’s full factory World Superbikes.

“I assumed I’d be getting one for Macau but they’ve gone to Jeremy Toye and Conor Cummins instead,” he said.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen now. I’m still going, but I don’t know if it will be on the bike I rode this year or whether I’ll have something else from them, I’ll have to see what happens.

“I want a competitive bike because I’d like to give it a good go over there, but it might be asking too much because you don’t get a lot of practice time at Macau and it could take a while to learn the place.”

31-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Website Find Reply