Rutter wants Macau success
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Rutter wants Macau success
[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]

North West 200 favourite Michael Rutter is bidding to win the prestigious Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix in the Far East for a record seventh time this month.

Rutter won his first race at Macau in 1998 and chalked up his last victory in 2005 but looks to have a superb opportunity to eclipse Ron Haslam’s tally of six wins on Saturday, November 19 in the absence of Scotsman Stuart Easton, who has won the race for the past three years in succession.

Easton will miss the event as he continues to recuperate following his high-speed crash at the North West 200 in May.

A year ago, Rutter claimed the runner-up spot behind the diminutive Scot and the veteran racer will be quietly confident he can return to the top step on the Pacific Island on his British Superbike Ducati.

Rutter, who has been linked with a ride in the Honda TT Legends World Endurance team in 2012 alongside John McGuinness and Cameron Donald, revealed he is fully fit following a crash in the BSB series at Cadwell Park at the end of August.

“It’s a unique race and you never know till you get out on track, there are some good riders competing but I hope to do well and winning would be a bonus,” Rutter said.

“I am now totally recovered from the injuries acquired at Cadwell Park earlier in the BSB season and am 100% fighting fit and ready to go.”

[Image: rutterkneedown.jpg]

Rutter will be joined by his British Superbike team-mate Martin Jessopp, who impressed in the Superbike class during practice for the North West 200 this year.

And Jessopp hopes to continue his progress on the roads after underlining his potential as a strong contender at the Ulster road race.

“It is something you have definitely got to prepare well for you reach more than 200mph down the straights there so it is definitely somewhere you have got to treat with a lot of respect,” he said.

“The British are always strong over there so it is a big race and we stand to possibly have a good result.

“With a good North West 200 this year I have shown I am a serious contender on the roads and I think we could surprise a few people with a good team result,”
he added.

“At the same time you need to have a safe result and not stuff it in the barrier.”

The 45th running of the Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix will be held over 15 laps of the 3.8-mile Guia street course.

Northern Ireland’s William and Michael Dunlop are set to make their debuts at the event, while Crumlin’s Stephen Thompson will make his annual trip to the former Portuguese colony, joining TT legend McGuinness in the SMT Honda colours.

Gary Johnson will ride the Relentless TAS Suzuki, with Conor Cummins and Jeremy Toye on Paul Bird’s World Superbike Kawasaki machines.

Bruce Anstey (Padgetts Honda) is also among the entries, while Ian Hutchinson is set to make his comeback from injury on the Swan Yamaha.

03-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Website Find Reply