Michael Dunlop set to race in sidecar class at IOM TT
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Michael Dunlop set to race in sidecar class at IOM TT
[Image: bbcsport.gif]

Michael Dunlop is set to make a sensational debut in the sidecar class at next year's Isle of Man TT races.

The Ballymoney man undertook a successful test in a sidecar machine at the Jurby race circuit on the Isle of Man on Wednesday.

Dunlop had experienced Manx sidecar competitor Dan Sayle as his passenger and set a series of fast times.

Dunlop has won two TT solo races but this will be his first foray into three-wheel motorsport competition.

The younger of the Dunlop racing brothers won a Supersport TT race in 2009 and followed that up with a victory in the Superstock class this year.

He has yet to confirm his plans for solo racing next year, but news that he will compete in the two sidecar races at the biggest road racing event of the year will come as a major surprise.

[Image: mickydanddan1.jpg]

Sayle is a seven-times TT winner and is likely to passenger Dunlop on the Mountain Course.

Dunlop is aiming to become the first winner at the TT on both two and three wheels since Freddie Dixon in 1923.

The 22-year-old tested a Nick-Crowe built Honda outfit alongside former world sidecar champion Tim Reeves and finished with the fastest lap of the day.

"That was awesome, really, really enjoyable," said Dunlop after the test.

"Before the start I thought it was going to be hard work, hard to drive, but it wasn't at all.

"I would love to win a Superbike TT in the afternoon and then go out and win a sidecar race in the evening - that would be really cool," said this year's Ulster Grand Prix hat-trick star.

"Michael has been torturing me all year about getting a go in a sidecar and when he sorted this ride Nick asked me to sit with him," explained Sayle.

"He is smooth and I think he could race on the TT course."

Sayle finished by stating that he would be happy to passenger Dunlop on the roads next year.

"Michael took to it like a duck to water," added team boss Crowe, another former multiple TT winner.

10-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: Michael Dunlop set to race in sidecar class at IOM TT
[Image: manxradiomain.gif]
Direct copy from Manx Radio website

Dunlop: no sidecar decision yet

Michael Dunlop says he hasn't yet decided whether to attempt to compete in both the sidecars and solos at TT 2012.

The 22-year-old from Ballymoney in Northern Ireland tested with seven-time TT winning sidecar passenger Dan Sayle, in wet conditions at Jurby on Wednesday.

Dunlop says he throughly enjoyed the experience but has a great deal to think about before launching a three-wheel bid for success around the mountain course:

Listen To The Related Audio Clip HERE

10-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Website Find Reply
Kev Brown Offline

Threads: 11
Does the solo license cover sidecars too or will Mr Dunlop have to do qualifiying races?
Good luck to them anyway.
11-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Yes one licence covers both solo and sidecar driver/pilot requirements.

A Sidecar Passenger requires a licence for that designation.

And of course to race at the TT, a Mountain Course licence is required by all particpants.
11-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Website Find Reply
Lee Offline

Threads: 11
Class, I could not believe this story when I was told.

You got to love them Dunlops!

So would any of you guys jump in along side him?

I'd have to pull a sickie that day lol.

13-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Find Reply