Dunlop aiming to finalise deal
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Dunlop aiming to finalise deal
[Image: mickydunlophdr.jpg]

Michael Dunlop has yet to finalise his plans for 2012, but it appears the hard-riding Ballymoney lad will opt for a different manufacturer in the Superbike class.

The 22-year-old, who enjoyed a successful season with victory in the Superstock class at the Isle of Man TT plus an Ulster Grand Prix treble, feels he was let down when it mattered most by the PBM Kawasaki ZX-10 this year.

Last night he told News Letter Sport: “I’ve nothing in place at the minute but hopefully over the next few weeks I’ll have a better idea of what I’m doing.

“I need to sit down and talk with the lads and see how we are fixed.

“I’ve had talks with a few people but all the main teams already have their riders in place for next year and are doing their own thing,”
he added.

“The Kawasaki deal didn’t pan out the way we wanted it this year because the bike let me down. The bike was alright when it went, but the problem was it didn’t go often enough.

“We’ll see what happens but the main thing is to have a Superbike that’s going to last the distance.”

Dunlop rode a Honda Supersport machine for Simon Buckmaster’s PTR outfit at the Sunflower Trophy meeting at Bishopscourt in October and admits he is considering a switch to Honda power after several seasons on the Street Sweep Yamaha R6.

“Simon Buckmaster is another person I’ll talk to when I get home,” said Dunlop, who is currently on holiday.

“It’s a matter of sitting down with everyone and seeing who’s in or who’s out.

“Times are hard and I wouldn’t be shocked if some people had to kick things into touch.

“It will be a bad job if I can’t get something sorted - maybe I’ll just go and do a year in the Sidecar class instead,”
he joked.

The double TT winner is considering competing in the Sidecar races on the Mountain Course in June, with Dan Sayle already putting himself forward as a willing passenger after testing with Dunlop at Jurby on the Island before Christmas.

But a Superbike triumph at the TT remains his number one ambition and the Ulster prospect’s key priority when he returns to Northern Ireland is to secure a competitive ride in the blue riband class.

Most of the sport’s leading protagonists have already announced their plans for the new international road racing season, with William Dunlop signing for Wilson Craig’s Honda team, most likely with Cameron Donald remaining as his team-mate for another season.

Guy Martin will spend another term in the TAS Racing Tyco Suzuki team, with Ian Hutchinson riding in Shaun Muir’s Swan Yamaha colours.

Bruce Anstey has been retained by Clive Padgett, Ryan Farquhar will line-up on the KMR Kawasaki and John McGuinness will front the official Honda challenge, with possibly Gary Johnson as his team-mate, who has signed to ride for HM Plant Honda in the National Superstock 1000 Championship.

Manx rider Conor Cummins plus Keith Amor could also switch to pastures new in 2012, with Cummins linked to Tyco Suzuki, where he could join Martin for the international events.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

30-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Website Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141
RE: Dunlop aiming to finalise deal
me reckons, Hunts Honda superbike!
31-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Website Find Reply