BURROWS UPBEAT ON ROADS PLANS
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
BURROWS UPBEAT ON ROADS PLANS
[Image: johnburrowshdr.jpg]

John Burrows has no intention of relinquishing his status as one of road racing’s usual suspects in 2012.

The consistent Dungannon man has become a permanent fixture at the national meetings and remains one of the key threats to the established top three of Ryan Farquhar and Michael and William Dunlop on the domestic front.

And although he has flirted with the notion of retirement in recent years, Burrows has committed to another full schedule of racing this season, including the North West 200, Isle of Man TT, Ulster Grand Prix and the Irish national events.

He has recently purchased the TAS Racing Suzuki on which Bruce Anstey set the outright lap record at Dundrod on his way to winning the second Superbike race at the UGP in 2010.

“Basically the bike is the same specification as Guy Martin’s, except that it doesn’t have any of the fancy electronics,” Burrows said.

“Bruce Anstey set the lap record on it at Dundrod and it’s been sitting around, so I had the chance to buy it from TAS.

“The big bike is the main one for me and it’s the bike I enjoy riding most; I’m kind of putting all my eggs in one basket with it this year and hopefully I can get a few decent results.

“I surprised myself last season to be honest because I was right in the battle with Michael and William Dunlop at Athea and finished third in the Grand Final.

“Then at Killalane I finished as the runner-up to Ryan Farquhar in the Open race by just 0.8 seconds and I think that was as hard a race as I’ve ever given Ryan, so it was nice to know I could still run at that pace because I thought those days were over if I’m honest,”
he added.

“I also finished third in the Grand Final at Killalane behind Michael and Ryan and lapped faster than Ryan did, so Killalane was a good meeting for me at the end of the season.”

[Image: jburrows1.jpg]

Burrows’ focus may be on the Superbike class this year but he will continue to ride in the 650 Supertwins series as he bids to win the Irish title for the third year in succession.

He also has the offer of a Supersport machine but is mulling over the option before making a final commitment.

“I’ve the chance to ride a 600 for a group of guys and I think the ride is mine to turn down, but if you’re going to ride a bike for someone else you always need to think it through carefully beforehand and I’ll make a decision on it soon,” he said.

“I’ll ride the wee twin again and although I’ve won the Irish title twice it was never really a class I set out to win in and the big bike is my main priority.

“The Supertwins will now have a race at the North West 200 and TT this year and I suppose it gives guys like myself a chance to get a decent finish and some prize money, because I doubt if the likes of John McGuinness and Bruce Anstey and the other top names will ride in those races.

“At the TT I’ll be riding in the electric race again for Lightning Motorcycles and I’m due to go over to the USA at the end of February or beginning or March to test the bike for Richard Hatfield.

“The bike was badly under-developed last year but apparently it’s had a lot of work done to it since and it will be nice to have the chance to go to America for three days of testing to see how much it’s improved.”

Burrows rarely misses a national road race and he intends to compete at most of the smaller meetings this year, although the Isle of Man TT is the event that takes top billing on his fixture list.

“The TT is always the big one for me and I can’t wait to go back there again,” he said.

“Last year wasn’t a great year for me because the weather wasn’t great during practice week and I had a few mechanical problems in the races.

“When I started out in road racing it was never about money, it was always to enjoy myself and that’s still why I do it; if I get some prize money along the way then it’s a bonus.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

04-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Website Find Reply