Seeley a ‘genuine title hope’
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Seeley a ‘genuine title hope’
Alastair Seeley has a “genuine chance” of lifting this year’s MCE British Superbike Championship.

[Image: seeleybeeny.jpg]

That is the view of Tyco Suzuki team principal Philip Neill, who says the Ulster rider’s debut season in the class in 2010 was underestimated.

“It’s better timing for Alastair Seeley this time round,” said Neill.

“It was a massive ask for Alastair in 2010 because not only was he relatively new to the British championship, he was completely new to British Superbikes of that type of specification - Superbikes with 16.5 inch wheels and full electronics and all the whistles and bells.

“It was a major ask for someone at that stage of their career, but what he actually achieved that year was a bit underestimated in British championship terms, not here at home, but it was underestimated in England.

“The lad won a race and had several podiums plus some fastest laps and finished in fifth place in the championship - that is no mean feat in your first year,”
he added.

“Obviously Alastair automatically hoped he would get a second term in BSB out of that but we needed to do a job in British Supersport and I convinced him that that was the right way to go for his career.

“I know it was a close run thing at the end, but I was convinced from day one that he could win the British Supersport championship and I knew it would do his career the power of good.

“We had an inkling all along that there was going to be a change in Superbike spec anyway for 2012 and obviously that has happened now. To be honest it’s so much better for Alastair because he’s now on a Superbike that will be much more familiar to him having spent most of his career on Superstock-spec bikes.”

On Seeley’s chances this year, Neill expects the Carrick rider to be winning races and challenging for the title.

“We’ve really got high hopes for Alastair this year and we’re really optimistic about his chances.

“You look at Alastair now and he is a realistic, genuine British Superbike championship contender.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

10-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Website Find Reply