TT success is top priority for Dunlop
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TT success is top priority for Dunlop
[Image: wdunlophdr.jpg]

Wilson Craig Honda ace William Dunlop has high expectations for the 2012 international road racing season.

Dunlop, who will remain in Craig’s camp for a second season, made significant progress last year in the Superbike class particularly.

The 26-year-old was hugely impressed by Craig’s Honda machines and his compatibility with the bikes was reflected in his performances in the wet.

Previously a self-confessed wet weather slouch, Dunlop suddenly became competitive in damp conditions, a remarkable transformation he says is due entirely to his faith in the Honda chassis.

“I just felt so comfortable on Wilson’s bikes and I had the confidence to push in the wet,” said Dunlop, who led the opening Supersport race at the TT on the first lap last June before it was red-flagged due to the damp conditions at various sections of the Mountain Course.

“I can’t wait to get going again and I’ve been training hard during the winter. I’ve put on about a stone in weight because I’ve been bulking up to build up my strength for the big bikes.

“Fitness is a big thing now and especially at the TT it makes a difference when you’re in a six-lap Superbike race.

“I’ve had a full year now on Wilson’s bikes and we should be able to make a fast start this year, which will be a first for me.

“Hopefully at the North West 200 we’ll be right on the pace straight away.”

[Image: wdunlopfaceshot.jpg]

Dunlop showed enough last summer to suggest he will be right in contention at the TT this year, setting his fastest ever lap at 128mph in the Senior race before a broken steering damper on lap two slowed his progress.

He managed to nurse the bike home in eighth place and left the Isle of Man confident he could challenge for the podium in 2012.

“I just know I’ll be able to lap at 130mph this time,” said Dunlop, who finished fifth in the Superstock TT last year, which was won by his younger brother Michael on the Street Sweep Kawasaki.

“I lapped at 128mph from a standing start on Wilson’s Superbike before the steering damper broke and I know I can push on this year.

“I know where I’m going now at the TT and the bikes are first class, so I’m going to the TT to win.”

Dunlop narrowly missed out on rewarding Craig with international success at the Ulster Grand Prix at Dundrod, where he twice lost the lead of the Supersport races on the final lap at the hairpin to Michael.

And although he did manage a string of national wins, Dunlop’s primary aim this year is to seal an international triumph at the TT.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

16-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Website Find Reply