TT Regulars Plus Plenty More Brits at Phillip Island Next Week-End
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TT Regulars Plus Plenty More Brits at Phillip Island Next Week-End
[Image: philipislandlogo.jpg]

Ready for a major dose of motorcycle nostalgia?? Head to Phillip Island next weekend (January 27-29) for the annual pilgrimage for historic bike lovers - the 19th AMCN International Island Classic – the largest meeting of historic bikes in the southern hemisphere.

Over 350 machines will compete in a whopping 44 races on Saturday and Sunday, and with kids 15 and under free - at both the gate and for camping - a record crowd in excess of 20 000 is expected.

Attention will be focussed on the headline act, the Tahbilk International Challenge – a four race square off between teams from Australia, the UK and a 'World 13' entry. (entry list attached)

The field is packed with blue-chip talent, led by former 500GP and 250GP star, the UK's Jeremy McWilliams and 2009 world endurance champion, Australia's Steve Martin – the duo being the highest individual point-scorers over the last two years.

A quick glance over the entry list upholds the axiom that 'once a racer always a racer,' with illustrious names of the past such as Shawn Giles (the very recent past, as he only retired from Aussie Superbike racing at the end of 2011), Rob Phillis, Malcolm Campbell, Barry Ditchburn and John Pace all set to compete, alongside modern day flyers such as Cameron Donald and Irishman Ryan Farquhar

Full UK Rider Listing

[Image: PIRiderUKList.jpg]

McWilliams, who started the 2000 and 2002 MotoGP races at Phillip Island from pole position, was the leading individual point-scorer in the 2011 International Challenge, just pipping Donald after four colossal scraps – and at a searing pace which also saw Martin lower the historic lap record to a phenomenal 1min38.964secs.

But the team's crown was again Australia's, with the locals victorious for the fourth successive year to maintain an unbeaten record against the United Kingdom and the World 13.

Martin enjoys the team element of the International Challenge, added to his very pure motive for competing: he just loves 1980s Superbikes.

"I guess the first bikes I ever saw racing were these 80 model Superbikes, and I still remember the first time I ever saw a Katana I pretty much wet myself," said Martin.

"To be able to race these bikes is one reason but also to be able to be part of a team racing to battle against the Kiwis, Poms and the rest of the world, well it's something to be proud of.

"As for beating my heroes: mixed emotions. As an example I remember 'Wally' (Malcolm Campbell) racing, I remember Robbie (Phillis) back when they were the best and believe me they were world class. They have nothing to prove to anybody and I secretly hope if anybody can beat me it's them."

[Image: piclassicpic1.jpg]

Joining Martin (Suzuki Katana) in the Australian team -- to be captained by Rex Wolfenden, --for the International Challenge feature races are Campbell on the Honda CB1100R, former world Superbike No. 3 Phillis (Katana), Donald (Suzuki XR69), former Australian Superstock 1000 champion Beau Beaton (Irving Vincent), three-time Australian Superbike champion Shawn Giles (Katana) and multiple Castrol 6-Hour runner-up John Pace (Katana).

The international challengers are headed by McWilliams, Farquhar (both Harris F1) and Barry Ditchburn, who will all ride for the UK.

Riding captain of the UK team, Aussie-based expatriate Keith Higgs, believes his team is cherry ripe for a sizzling performance.

"This is the strongest UK team we've ever had," said Higgs, who continued tongue in cheek. "And our team spends a lot of time and effort getting their bikes ready, while more often than not the Aussies race between themselves and end up breaking down – after all, you have to treat historic bikes with respect and show some real mechanical sympathy.

"I reckon it will be a race between McWilliams and Martin for the individual spoils, and I can't wait to be a part of it."

In 2011, the UK team produced its best ever International Challenge performance, finishing 347pts behind the Australians.

The final team, the World 13, is an amalgam of riders from Australia, New Zealand, France and America. The captain will be Kevin Grey, who says his job has the "potential to be a bit like herding cats".

"However, we are all linked by that common thread that seems to run through all bike racers worldwide: we love to eat sleep, talk and think bikes," continued Grey, who will ride his Suzuki McIntosh in the International Challenge.

Included in the World 13 squad are US riders of calibre Ed Haazer (Suzuki Katana) from California and Nevada's James McKay (Suzuki GS1000S) and from France, previous Island Classic competitor, Paul Remaud aboard a Suzuki GSX 1100.

Visit the International Island Classic Website HERE

(This post was last modified: 19-01-2012, 12:34 PM by Malcolm.)
19-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Website Find Reply