Amor quits road racing
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Amor quits road racing
[Image: keithamorlogo.jpg]

Leading road racer Keith Amor has sensationally quit the sport due to injury, News Letter Sport can reveal.

Amor damaged his right shoulder following two crashes at the Isle of Man TT last June, including a practice spill at Quarterbridge and a slip-off in the wet at Union Mills in the second Supersport race, which was abandoned soon afterwards.

Despite undergoing surgery for the injury, which he later aggravated further after a crash at Leathemstown at the Ulster Grand Prix, Amor has been forced to call time on his career.

He took the decision after visiting his surgeon on Wednesday.

Amor suffered a shoulder separation, also known as an AC (acromioclavicular) joint injury. He had major surgery in November, undergoing a complete shoulder reconstruction in an effort to return to the saddle in 2012.

However, the joint has gradually become weaker since he went under the knife and Amor, who has also injured his left shoulder to a lesser extent, has decided the time is right to hang up his leathers.

[Image: keithamoronbike2.jpg]

“Unfortunately, even though I have had the first round of operations, there is still damage that is resisting treatment.

“My right shoulder is proving difficult to keep under control,”
said the Scottish star.

“The left shoulder is less trouble but it’s painful and in need of more treatment. Because of my ongoing injury problems I’ve decided to retire completely.

“My decision has been a difficult one and one which I have agonised over for the past three months.

“I started my career in 2001 with an orange newcomers bib at Kirkcaldy as a novice and ended it as a member of Honda Europe’s TT Legends team.

“I’m a better man for my racing and it has kept me sharp, but I will leave it to the pack to chase the glory.

“I’ve had my wins and losses and I’ve a lot of terrific memories, but now it’s a case of cheerio and cheers – it’s been a pleasure.”

The 39-year-old, who landed a high-profile ride in the factory Honda TT Legends team in 2011 alongside John McGuinness, was a popular winner at the North West 200 in the Superstock race in 2010 – his maiden victory at the event.

Amor also tasted the victory champagne at the Ulster Grand Prix later that year, winning the second Supersport race.

Last year, he finished second overall in the prestigious TT Championship despite his injuries.

He had a huge following in Northern Ireland, earning the respect of fans when he rose to challenge home hero Ryan Farquhar at the national events in the 2008 and 2009 season in particular.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
26-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Website Find Reply