Farquhar hails tough guy Amor
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Farquhar hails tough guy Amor
[Image: ryanfarquharcheers.jpg]

Ryan Farquhar has paid tribute to Scotsman Keith Amor following his shock retirement from the sport.

The News Letter revealed on Wednesday that the 39-year-old North West 200 and Ulster Grand Prix winner had called time on his career due to a shoulder injury he sustained in a crash at the Isle of Man TT last year.

And KMR Kawasaki rider Farquhar, who was involved in some memorable races with Amor on the national scene here in Northern Ireland in recent seasons, has hailed the Falkirk man as the toughest competitor he ever competed against.

Farquhar, currently in Australia to compete in the Island Classic meeting at Phillip Island this weekend, told News Letter Sport: “I’m sorry to hear Keith is calling it a day but under the circumstances he is doing the right thing.

“In all the years that I’ve been racing I had my toughest battles and best races against Keith.

“Off the track we got on really well and on it neither of us gave an inch,”
added Farquhar.

“I know I said he was like a digestive biscuit one time, because he crumbled when you put pressure on him, but that was just a bit of fun.

“The hardest race I remember with Keith was probably at Armoy a couple of years back when we had a coming together at the last road end.

“That one is a race I’ll never forget but the list goes on and on,”
added Farquhar.

“You never know, maybe somewhere down the line if his injuries heal up and he wants another go I could get him out on a SuperTwin.

“Either way, he’ll be missed and the sport is all the poorer without him. I’d like to wish him all the best.”

[Image: keithamorheadshot.jpg]

Amor achieved his maiden international race win at the North West 200 in 2010 in the Superstock race and yesterday the event’s technical director, Mervyn Whyte, said the former Honda TT Legends rider’s enforced retirement was a “loss to motorcycle racing”.

“Keith was a strong competitor and he is a loss to motorcycling,” said Whyte.

“He was brilliant on the roads and could adapt very well to the roads courses. He was a happy character and Keith was good to work with - he was a top runner and had a win at the North West in 2010.

“I’ve no doubt that if he had been back at the event this year he would have been a winner on the right bike.”

Amor’s last race in Northern Ireland was at the Ulster Grand Prix last August and clerk of course Noel Johnston said he was saddened by the announcement.

“Keith will be missed. He was a good ambassador for motorcycling but obviously he’s been forced out because of injury and I wish him all the best for the future.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

27-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Website Find Reply
pykey08 Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Farquhar hails tough guy Amor
.Thanks for the memories keith especally armoy 2010 truly awsome.
29-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Find Reply