Hutchinson facing uphill struggle
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Hutchinson facing uphill struggle
Luckless Ian Hutchinson’s hopes of competing at the Relentless International North West 200 in May hang in the balance after the Swan Yamaha rider broke his left leg during a stunt show rehearsal on Wednesday.

The 32-year-old had only just returned to fitness following a long battle to overcome the devastating injuries he suffered in a freak end of season crash at Silverstone in 2010, when he was struck by another competitor on the opening lap of a British Supersport race.

On that occasion the eight-times Isle of Man TT winner was left writhing in agony with a shattered left leg.

Such was the extent of the damage there were fears initially that doctors would be forced to amputate.

However, he triumphed in the face of adversity, harnessing the sheer will and determination that formed the basis of his historic five wins in a week romp at the TT three months previously to return to motorcycle racing in quite remarkable style at last November’s Macau Grand Prix, where he finished on the rostrum in third.

But in a crushing setback, Hutchinson has it all to do again after breaking the same leg he almost lost as a result of his initial crash at Silverstone some 14 months ago.

Reports suggest he appeared to twist his leg while riding an off-road bike during a rehearsal for a mini stunt event at the Carole Nash MCN Motorcycle Show in London, which opened on Thursday.

He was taken to see his surgeon in Coventry after the incident and it was later reported that the fractures he sustained did not occur in the same area as the original breaks.

Hutchinson underwent surgery on Wednesday evening and now has an external cage fitted to his damaged limb to speed up the recovery process.

Under normal circumstances, a fractured tibia and fibula takes between 12-16 weeks to heal and Swan Yamaha team boss Shaun Muir said ‘Hutchy’ was facing a recovery period of three months, resulting in a return date of early May if all goes according to plan.

But with North West 200 practice getting under way on Tuesday, May 15, it will be touch and go for the gutsy Bingley man in terms of his participation in the event.

Hutchinson, though, hasn’t given up hope of competing at the TT, stressing on his official Twitter account that he is still aiming to race at the event in June.

Team owner Muir is already looking for a replacement rider for the opening rounds of the British Superbike Championship, although no names have yet been linked with the vacant Yamaha seat.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
04-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Website Find Reply
tripod Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Hutchinson facing uphill struggle
I have just sent in my application for my Mountain Course Licence with proof of my race finishes.
How does Ian expect to complete his race finishes to qualify when he has another 5 to complete before 31st of March.Bye
05-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Find Reply