Question of the Month
Anonymous
Unregistered

Question of the Month
Ok, this may be easy for the experts, but it will remind us of an outstanding rider of the past who mirrors the young talent we see in todays GP scene.
He competed in 15 TTs, won 5, of which his last was his only win on the mountain course. In that event he set a lap and race record. In 1960 he had won more world championships than anyone else and yet with all this success he never rode a 500.
If anyone could share any personal memories of him on the Island I would be appreciative as I believe not enough has been said of this man.
29-10-2002, 02:03 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Question of the Month
Carlo Ubbiali? The Valentino Rossi of his day! I, too am very interested in his career and those of his compatriots, Tarquinio Provini, and that lovely gentleman Luigi Taveri.
Also that total genius of the grands prix, Angel Nieto.
Doing some research recently,I visited some German, French and Italian sites to read their stories.
I had such fun with the automatic translations... "fishing rod" Nieto.... The Isle of "one"..... Just the thing for the long , raceless winter nights.
29-10-2002, 02:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Hellen, yes, isn't Italy a rich and fertile field for young and unbelievably talented riders. I have been interested in Carlo Ubbiali for a number of years and the purpose of the question was to see if anyone out there who saw him compete at the TT could add anything to the picture.
He came from Bergamo and started racing at 20 in 1949, rode Mondial for 3 years and won his first World Championship for them in 1951. Then untill 1960 rode MV. He was only slight of stature and this suited the 125 and 250 machines that he exclusively rode. Aparently he was not served up all his victories on a plate as there was stern opposition from NSU and MZ. Ubbiali was from all accounts a thinking rider and was sensitive to his machinery. Unfortunatly I have never seen him on film and hope someone could describe his riding style. I treasure a photo of him standing before the start of a race with and umbrella in his hand (no dolly birds then) and cloth taped over his mouth, eyeing the weather seriously and wearing a battered MV helmet. How times have changed!
30-10-2002, 10:57 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do not forgetta Romolo Ferri--Now, who was he ??

Gileraman !!!
30-10-2002, 03:12 PM