Newbie to this years TT
UKNorthy Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
Newbie to this years TT
Any advice on my first visit to the TT, I'm arriving late Sunday 4/6 and camping at Onchan, I'm coming on my own and have never visited the IOM previously. I would welcome any advice on best places to view races and entertainment. I do a bit of amateur photography so any advice on best places for shooting would be welcome. Also when do they open ferry bookings for 2013

Keith
15-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
RE: Newbie to this years TT
Hi Keith welcome to the TT Fraternity - I hope to see you while I am over.

The course is 37+ miles long so you'll have to keep coming back to see a few sites per year...After 65 years I haven't seen them all but I recommend the following

1/ Book a seat in the Grandstand at the start for One race - you will see how the TT works. The start, the progress, the pit stops, the retirements, how the race (Time Trial) developes, the finish and the celebrations and presentation.

Then.......In order......

2/ Get out to the Mitre Pub at Kirk Michael, a great place to watch from.
In the School entrance first then move to the pub carpark frontage.

3/ The Crosby Hotel...Barbecue and food and drink all day ! My personal favourite spot. I can rig up my computers and follow every riders progress from the pub.

4/ Go to the Swan Hotel in Ramsey and see Parliament Square and the start of the climb up the mountain.

5/ Get up just above Kates Cottage at Keppel Gate (you cabn see three miles of TT course from here) Another favourite spot.

6/ Governors Bridge entrance and exit (Slow niggly bend after a high speed run down) Stay on the outside of the course, you can walk back to the start. (or Onchan)

If you see these in your first year you will have seen all the good spots to give you experiences of speed, race lines and road surfaces and great opportunites for photography !!! (see http://www.ttfan3d.co.uk)

Then come back next year and try another six !!

You will enjoy the TT but beware, you will catch the TT BUG.... It is incurable...I got it BAD in 1947

You can book 2013 while you are over at the sea terminal, just pay a £20 deposit then pay the rest in February 2013. But book the days you want !!!

My name is Ian and I am known as "TTFan" see http://www.ttfan.co.uk - I will be up at the paddock and grandstand most days before and after the racing.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 15-03-2012, 11:38 PM by ian huntly.)
15-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Website Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141
yep, beware of the TT Bug!!, got it in 1970!!!
Keith you will enjoy the expirience
good luck with your photography
Baylon
19-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Website Find Reply
Lee Offline

Threads: 11
Get a lap of the track.

No video can describe the challenge of the mountain course.

Enjoy!
20-03-2012, 05:10 AM
Find Reply