COULTER HOPEFUL OF NW200 RETURN
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
COULTER HOPEFUL OF NW200 RETURN
[Image: coulteratnutts.jpg]

Former North West 200 star Woolsey Coulter could make a sensational return to the famous international road race in May.

The 48-year-old Portadown rider was a dominant force in the 250cc class at the event in the ’90s, amassing five victories around the 8.9-mile ‘Triangle’ course.

Coulter, who won the British 250cc title in 1998, last competed at the North West 200 in 2000, finishing sixth in the Superstock race.

He quit the sport in 2002 but is making a comeback this year in the one-make Ducati 848 Challenge Series, which will feature on the undercard at six rounds of the prestigious MCE British Superbike Championship in 2012.

The eight-round series also includes races at Misano and Assen.

Coulter, whose last success at the North West 200 was achieved in 1998 - the same year he was crowned British champion - hopes to tie up a deal to compete in the new Supertwin race, which will be held following daytime practice on Thursday evening, May 17.

The class has already attracted a host of top names including ex-Grand Prix rider Jeremy McWilliams, who joins Ryan Farquhar’s KMR Kawasaki team alongside Kirk Jamison and Jamie Hamilton, plus Michael Dunlop, Simon Andrews, Ian Lougher, Adrian Archibald and John Burrows.

Last night, Coulter - who took part in Saturday’s non-championship short circuit meeting at Nutts Corner - told News Letter Sport: “I’ve tried to make contact with Mervyn Whyte [technical director] but I’ve yet to get speaking to him.

“I have the offer of a good bike for the Supertwin race, which is the bike previously raced by young Wayne Hamilton.

“William Dunlop is due to ride it at the TT and I know the bike is competitive, so it’s now a matter of trying to work something out with the organisers.

“Ryan Farquhar has a whole procession of bikes in the race, so I’d like to try and go out there on Davy Hamilton’s bike and get in amongst them,”
he added.

“I’m going to Snetterton this weekend for some track time and I’ll be riding in the first round of the Ducati 848 Series at Brands Hatch at Easter, so I’m looking forward to it.”

Coulter, who is putting a significant amount of his own resources into his comeback this year, feels he still has plenty to offer to the sport.

“I’m not interested in going back to the North West just for a payday - if I go then I’ll be going with the aim of being competitive and providing entertainment for the fans,” he said.

“There is plenty of interest in the Supertwin race at the North West and make no mistake, Jeremy McWilliams will be very competitive even if it is his first time racing there.

“Hopefully I’ll be there to see if I can remember a lot of the things I’ve probably forgotten by now, but it’s down to the organisers - the ball is in their court.

“I’d hope to know by the end of this week and if it doesn’t happen then I’ll be able to put it behind me and move on because I’ve got the Ducati Challenge to focus on this year.”

An outstanding competitor in his day, Coulter won at European championship level when he beat former world champion Max Biaggi at Mondello Park in 1991.

The inclusion of a Supertwin race at the North West 200 and the TT for the first time this year has been met with scepticism in some quarters, but seemingly there is a wave of momentum behind the class at present and Coulter’s presence on the grid in Portstewart in May would further enhance the appeal of the inaugural race on the north coast.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
22-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Website Find Reply