Burrows happy with girl power
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Burrows happy with girl power
[Image: johnburrowshdr.jpg]

Irish Supertwin champion John Burrows has done a deal with leading female road racer Maria Costello MBE to compete at selected road race meetings in the Cookstown/BE Racing livery in 2012.

Costello will ride a Yamaha R6 for Burrows at the Cookstown 100 next month, plus the Isle of Man TT and selected Irish national events in 2012.

Burrows, who will race the Moira Motorcycle Club’s Honda CBR600RR in the Supersport class this season, said he was thrilled to tie up an agreement with the popular Northamptonshire lady.

“After Maria found out my R6 was available she made contact with me and after discussions I was delighted to welcome her to the Cookstown/BE Racing team,” he said.

“Maria will ride the Yamaha at the Cookstown 100, the Isle of Man TT and selected other national events after the TT.

“She is a very professional and fast rider and I’m certain she will be an asset to the team. It would have been a shame if the R6 had to sit and gather dust this season and it will be great to see it in action,”
he added.

“I’m confident Maria will get some decent results on it and I’m sure her appearances on the bike will bring all my sponsors some extra exposure. It’s a win-win situation.”

Burrows is currently entering the second year of a deal with sausage producers Cookstown as the title sponsor of his team following a successful association in 2011.

Costello made a name for herself in road racing when she twice finished on the rostrum at the Manx Grand Prix.

The 38-year-old finished third in the 2005 Manx Ultra-Lightweight on an RVF400 Honda and was back on the rostrum last year, finishing third in the Manx Classic 250cc race on a Bob Jackson Suzuki.

She is the second fastest female competitor ever to lap the 37.73-mile Mountain Course with an average speed for the iconic road racing course of 114.73mph, with British Superbike rider Jenny Tinmouth holding the record after lapping at almost 120mph in 2010.

Costello, who will have the chance to test Burrows machine at Kirkistown before next month’s Cookstown 100, said: “Joining Cookstown/BE Racing is a great opportunity for me. It’s a team with a proven pedigree so I know I’ll have a very competitive R6 underneath me.

“I’d like to thank Steve Wheatman of Hol-Taj and the European Shoe Machinery Company for making the ride possible for me.”

Maria will be making her third appearance at the Cookstown 100, the opening Irish road race of the season.

Costello will also ride a Kawasaki ZX10R this year for the British Superbike Bournemouth Primo Kawasaki team plus a 650 Kawasaki ER6 Supertwin, a Team Classic Suzuki XR69 and the Jackson T20 Suzuki.

Burrows will ride a 1000cc Suzuki GSXR1000 Superbike, previously raced by Bruce Anstey in the TAS Racing colours, a KBM Kawasaki 650 and the Moira MRC Honda 600.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
23-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Website Find Reply