Rutter hopeful of North West 200 reprieve
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Rutter hopeful of North West 200 reprieve
[Image: rutter2012fornw200.jpg]

North West 200 favourite Michael Rutter is optimistic he will take his place on the grid in May after his participation at the famous international road race was placed in doubt.

The MSS Bathams Kawasaki rider is one of the mainstays of the motorcycle extravaganza, held annually against the breathtaking backdrop of the beautiful north coast, and a smash hit with the fans who flock to the event in their thousands each spring.

A North West 200 without ‘The Blade’ would be akin to an Isle of Man TT without Mad Sunday.

But last month the prospect of the British Superbike star being forced out of the event was a realistic possibility, with Rutter struggling to obtain the financial support required to enable him to challenge for his 13th victory on the ultra-fast 8.9-mile Triangle circuit.

The Midlands rider has secured a full-time ride in the MCE British Superbike Championship this year with Nick Morgan’s MSS Bathams Kawasaki outfit alongside Peter Hickman and also raised the funds necessary to compete at the Isle of Man TT races.

But sponsorship, or rather the lack of it, has so far proved an unwelcome sticking point as far as his NW200 aspirations in 2012 are concerned.

And although Rutter is not yet in a position to confirm his participation in this year’s seaside showdown, it would seem his chances of agreeing terms with the race organisers are looking altogether more rosy.

Rutter told News Letter Sport: “I still don’t have anything concrete at the moment. I’m still speaking to Mervyn [Whyte, technical director] and we’re trying to put something together and I’m hopeful that we can do something.

“Mervyn has been really good about the whole situation and is doing everything he can and obviously I want to be there on the Kawasakis because we have some good bikes this year.

“If I’m not riding there I’ll still be there watching, but hopefully it will all come good.

“We’ve just had a hard two days testing on the bikes at Brands Hatch and Snetterton and the bike is working well, although it has taken me a while to adapt to it from the Ducati.

“At the moment I would say that 20 percent of the problem in getting up to speed is down to me and there’s probably another 10 percent to get out of the bike,”
he added.

“I’ve had some good results on the Ducatis in the past but I’ve won more races on the four-cylinder machines than I have on twin-cylinder bikes.

“I think the Kawasaki has really good top speed and I think it would be the perfect bike for the North West.”

Rutter had been in the frame to ride in the new Supertwin race at the North West 200 for Ryan Farquhar’s KMR Kawasaki outfit, but the deal never came to fruition given his financial predicament.

He will, however, ride in the class in Farquhar’s livery at the TT in June.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

25-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Website Find Reply