Classic future for MGP ??
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Classic future for MGP ??
From Manx Radio

[Image: mmccgif.gif]

Classic racing should form the basis of the Manx Grand Prix in the future.

Editor of Classic Racer Malc Wheeler was speaking after the recent review of the MGP and as consideration is given to the future of the event.

The Department of Economic Development Study says the event has potential for growth, but it will need to change.

Mr Wheeler thinks making it a Classic Racing festival is the way to go . .

Listen to the Audio clip - HERE

30-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Classic future for MGP ??
I heartily disagree.

The present format does not need change - it ain't broke, so don't fix it.

The rider of current machinery needs a format wherein he/she can learn the circuit without, as a Newcomer, undergoing pressure to lap at 115mph plus, as would be the case in the TT.

As regards making it a "Classic Racing Festival", let us not forget that Mr Wheeler is not entirely disinterested in all this !!
30-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
(30-03-2012, 10:27 PM)larryd Wrote: I heartily disagree.

The present format does not need change - it ain't broke, so don't fix it.

The rider of current machinery needs a format wherein he/she can learn the circuit without, as a Newcomer, undergoing pressure to lap at 115mph plus, as would be the case in the TT.

As regards making it a "Classic Racing Festival", let us not forget that Mr Wheeler is not entirely disinterested in all this !!
I have to agree 100% with larryd.
Just inform the motorcycling public that such an event as the MGP exists!

30-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
OK, it should not be that difficult... So, yesterday was the big (for us Yanks) All British Motorcycle Show here in Northern California... it is sort of a ritual for getting people out and ready for the riding season, etc. We get people from all over the world (not many but some).. This was the largest crowd ever... a full house. (we gave away a nice BSA Gold Star this year).

So, this was my first outing this year since... and I had my normal booth, but due to me not being up to 100%, I only brought a few items to sell, and mostly this is a social function for me anyway... but I did bring some IOM - MGP stuff to display.. Several guys asked me about going to the races, both TT and MGP, but mostly the MGP... Of course I helped them out....

But, I had NOTHING to give these guys.. What is needed is a one page flyer...(leaflet).. with the basic info... dates, classes, WEB sites, especially the Accomodation info... IT does not have to be fancy...!! Amd if the powers that be just have the flyer made in a PDF format, then I could print some off and hand them out... (put some in local bike shops, etc) simple eh..?? Cheap too...!!! I can easily afford to print out 100 copies or so as needed. And if a bunch of you did the same, well there you go...!! That will bring in both visitors and maybe a few racers... This is NOT rocket science..!!

I can create my own flyer, but do not know what logo's I would be allowed to use, etc... and really having a nice professionally laid out flyer would be best anyway... again not very expensive.... Or maybe TWO flyers, one aimed towards visitors, and one towards racers (Newcomers).. For racers, I could post a few flyers at the races I attend... Not everyone gets on the WEB and knows where this WEB site is...

Cheers..!!!

Ron
01-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Such a simple thing that could do so much good yet the politicians that seem bent on ruining the event seem more intent on spending public money on fact finding exercises rather than just getting their heads together and knocking out a few decent ideas. Ron, I'm not sure whether the DED (Dept of Economic Development - IOM govt) or the Manx Motorcycle Club is the best place to ask about a PDF flyer, so maybe pitch it to both of them?

Like you say, it would be cheap and once the idea is embedded in people's heads word of mouth will spread it further, especially once a few people have visited or raced.
01-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
(01-04-2012, 08:43 PM)sticky Wrote: Such a simple thing that could do so much good yet the politicians that seem bent on ruining the event seem more intent on spending public money on fact finding exercises rather than just getting their heads together and knocking out a few decent ideas. Ron, I'm not sure whether the DED (Dept of Economic Development - IOM govt) or the Manx Motorcycle Club is the best place to ask about a PDF flyer, so maybe pitch it to both of them?

Like you say, it would be cheap and once the idea is embedded in people's heads word of mouth will spread it further, especially once a few people have visited or raced.

View of a former MGP competitor:

Surely the Manx Motor Cycle Club would be the best organisation to carry out this exercise?

Assuming, that is, that they wish their event to continue?
02-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Well, I am pleased that I have already received a flyer for the MGP for the racer side..!! Talk about FAST...!!! And there is a big Vintage race near me (AHRMA) here in California very soon... I will print some out and post them and hand some out to guys I think may be interested....

Then later in the year is the Moto GP.. I live about 20 minutes from the track.. I will put flyers up in the local bike shops and near by businesses...

So, if this gimpy OLDE guy can do it... how about some of you doing the same...??? After all, we ALL have some responsibility to make sure we have the Manx around for a long time...

Now, if someone can point me as to how to contact the Tourism (or..?) folks.. if they have a similar Visitor flyer, I will post them as well.. We need both racers and visitors to keep the nay sayers at bay..!!!

As a side note... I am working (a little) on my racer... I may get there this summer... I will try for sure..!!!

Cheers..!!

Ron - Long live the TT and MGP...
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2012, 06:20 PM by Gstarron.)
02-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Here's the Flyer in A4 pdf format for you to download and distribute wherever you go.

Click on the poster displayed to download the pdf file

[Image: mgpflyer.jpg]

04-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

OK.. I have to do this.. just have to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NAi6feAM...re=related

Ah.... now I feel better... hope you do too..!!!

Cheers..!!

Ron - yes George is one of my heros..!
07-04-2012, 05:48 AM
Find Reply