NW BIRTHDAY BASH
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
NW BIRTHDAY BASH
[Image: nw200hdr2012.jpg]

They say life begins at 40 and that is a maxim that will be firmly put to the test at this year’s Relentless International North West 200 by two of the event’s favourite sons, John McGuinness and Michael Rutter.

The pair both turn 40 later this month, but they enthusiastically engaged in some light-hearted pre-birthday celebrations during last night’s latest NW200 press conference in Portstewart, where the pair were presented with a specially baked cake to mark the occasion.

McGuinness, whose birthday is on April 16, and Rutter – who is 40 two days later on April 18 – were joined by Australian rider Cameron Donald plus Ryan Farquhar, Alastair Seeley and John Burrows as the special guests at the launch, where Vauxhall was announced as the title sponsor of the new Supertwin 650 race, which will be held following daytime practice on Thursday evening, May 17.

Rutter, whose participation at the North West 200 was only secured last week, will ride for the MSS Bathams Kawasaki team in the Superbike and Superstock races, while McGuinness returns to Portstewart on the Honda TT Legends Fireblade next month after missing the North West last year.

The TT legend renews his long association with Clive Padgett in the Supersport and Superstock races as he aims to claim his sixth victory on the 8.9-mile ‘Triangle’ circuit.

One rider yet to stand on the top step at the North West is Aussie Cameron Donald, who remains with Wilson Craig’s Honda team in 2012.

Donald pushed Ulster’s Alastair Seeley all the way in a thrilling Supersport race, but was only just edged out by the TAS Suzuki rider on the Coast Road on the decisive final lap following a race-long tussle.

[Image: nw200openpromo12.jpg]
Coleraine Borough Council unveiled a new "Home of the North West 200' sign beside the grid
on the course at Portstewart today ahead of this year's May 19 event.
Alderman Maurice Bradley, Mayor of Coleraine unveiled the sign with race
Technical Director Mervyn Whyte and racers Alastair Seeley, John McGuinness,
Ryan Farquhar, Coyles Wright and Michael Rutter.
PICTURE BY STEPHEN DAVISON

Last night, Donald said he would love to add a North West success to his list of racing achievements.

“I’ve been coming since 2005 but I’ve yet to win one,” he said. “We will see what happens this year. I had a cracking race with Alastair last year, but I’ve just got to try and get that final chicane sorted and then I’ll have a better chance because I’ve led races at the North West before only to lose out on that last lap.

“It would be great to get a win – that’s the only reason why I’m here.”

Rutter, who is three wins shy of Ulster hero Robert Dunlop’s all-time record of 15 victories at the North West, said the experience of competing on the ultra-fast public roads circuit on the North Coast is unlike no other.

“When you’re blasting down that straight towards University, flat on the tank with the white lines on the road forming into one solid line, there’s nothing else like it,” said ‘The Blade’. I’m a bit off the pace on the Kawasaki at the minute but the bike is good and there is more to come from myself.”

April will be a busy month for McGuinness, who is competing in this weekend’s British Superbike meeting at Brands Hatch before travelling to Magny Cours in France for the 24-hour Bol d’or race, which is the opening round of the Endurance World Championship.

McGuinness will then attend the launch of the 2012 Isle of Man TT on April 18 before marrying long-term partner Becky on April 21.

Last night it was confirmed that CP Hire would continue to sponsor the Superstock class, while The McAvoy Group will back the NW200 Superbike race.

A new sign unveiled by Coleraine Borough Council at the launch, bearing the words ‘Home of the North West 200,’ will be permanently erected on the roadside at the start/finish area.

Roads will be closed for practice on Tuesday, May 15 from 9.30am-2.30pm and on Thursday, May 17 from 9.30am-2.30pm for practice and again from 5.30pm-9pm for the Superstock and Supertwin events.

On Saturday, May 19, roads close at 10am sharp for a five-race programme.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2012, 03:08 PM by Malcolm.)
03-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Website Find Reply