DED responds to criticism of Grand Prix changes
Malcolm Offline
Administrator
*******

Posts: 20,256
Threads: 18,076
Joined: Oct 2005
Reputation: 0
#1
DED responds to criticism of Grand Prix changes
[Image: DEDpromo1.jpg]

The Department of Economic Development has responded to criticisms of their plans for the future of the Manx Grand Prix.

Under the proposals the event would be re-branded under the TT banner, shortened to ten days and feature classic racing more heavily.

Chairman of the Manx Grand Prix Riders Association, John McBride, has been very critical of the move. He claims proposed grids for races will only accommodate 50 riders and there appears to be no schedule for running postponed races.

Chief Executive of DED Colin Kniveton says Mr McBrides comments are respected - but noted he is aware the event needs to change.

The Department says questionnaires on the changes were widely advertised and over 2300 were returned. Focus Groups did not contain racing enthusiasts because it was felt if individuals already directly involved in the event were asked for responses they might not be regarded as being impartial.

It's claimed talking to team owners will form the next part of the process.

With regard to criticisms over the size of the race grid, Mr Kniveton adds there are no decisions yet as to the size of grids for next year . . but they are licensed for up to 90 starters.

The new race programme will have opportunities to carry over racing from Friday to Saturday and from Monday to Tuesday.

Mr Kniveton ends by saying the Manx Motorcycle Club is the organising club for the MGP and there are no plans to change that situation.

[Image: manxradiomain.gif]


.
03-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Website Find Reply
FCM Offline
Member
***

Posts: 75
Threads: 17
Joined: Nov 2011
Reputation: 0
#2
RE: DED responds to criticism of Grand Prix changes
Can we have the truth please, at the time of your proposals you mooted that the maximum entry would be 40 to 50 starters
03-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator
*******

Posts: 20,256
Threads: 18,076
Joined: Oct 2005
Reputation: 0
#3
RE: DED responds to criticism of Grand Prix changes
MGP and TT figures clarified by DED

The Department of Economic Development have issued a statement clarifying the costs, visitor numbers and economic benefits generated by the Manx Grand Prix and the TT Races.

Treasury established that just over 8,900 visitors attended the MGP in 2009, with just over 30,000 people making the trip for TT 2010.

Last year saw the highest figure of bikes transported by the Steam Packet since 2002, carrying 10,886 machines in total.

It was revealed that the TT costs £3 million to stage, with the MGP significantly less given its scaled down nature, costing £1.1 million.

Using an on-line media monitoring service it was determined that the TT had an international TV viewing audience of 16 million.



[Image: 3fmlogo.jpg]

.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2012, 02:05 PM by Malcolm.)
08-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Website Find Reply
George Offline
Senior Member
****

Posts: 283
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2009
Reputation: 0
#4
RE: DED responds to criticism of Grand Prix changes
At tonight's MGP Meeting, using IOMPCs own calculations and figures it was worked out that the TT made a loss in 2011 of £1.2 million while the MGP made a profit. Now who's got the egg on the face.
Also next year MGPTT Classic meeting has a date clash with the Ulster.
09-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Find Reply




Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)