WINNING PERFORMANCE FROM SWAN YAMAHA AS HAGA SCORES PODIUM FINISH
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
WINNING PERFORMANCE FROM SWAN YAMAHA AS HAGA SCORES PODIUM FINISH
[Image: swanyamahahdr2012.jpg]

The Swan Yamaha team got the third round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship at Oulton Park underway today with a winning performance from champion Tommy Hill as Noriyuki Haga scored a maiden podium finish in second.

Hill and Haga had a strong qualifying performance for tomorrow’s second race with Hill taking pole position with Haga completing the front row in fourth.

In the postponed Brands Hatch race the pair started from the fifth row but a determined, gritty ride from both riders saw them inside the top five by the time the race was red flagged on the ninth lap. Haga took the lead on the second lap of the restarted race and held the position until Hill stole the advantage with two laps remaining. Hill now heads the overall standings by two points from Josh Brookes with Haga lying eighth following his second place.

Hill said:

"I went into the race with an open mind as I knew it would be a big fight from the fifth row, even in two parts. The Swan Yamaha was working really well and I know everyone talks about last year's final race of the season, but for me that is one of the best races of my entire career - from 15th to the race win. Everyone wanted that win hard but I suppose I just wanted it the most. I am really happy, now I need to do the same in the two races tomorrow."

[Image: tommyhillatoulton2012.jpg]

Haga said:

“It is awesome for me and Swan Yamaha to be on the podium. I was enjoying the first part of the race as we had a good battle and I felt really positive, maybe if the race had not been stopped then it could have been different but I know that Tommy has done a lot more laps here than me! I think tomorrow we have a magic setting that might put us closer to Tommy Hill. I think today I can say ‘welcome back to Nori!”

Team manager Gary Ekerold concluded:

“After qualifying and both riders securing a front row start for tomorrow’s race we knew we had the pace to run at the front. However with both riders on the fifth row we were not sure how easy it would be to get through the field. The safety car and the red flag perhaps helped our cause but to have both riders on the podium has rounded off a fantastic day for the team. Noriyuki has shown that he is a force to be reckoned with after today; he came back with a ‘boom’ and proved what we all know he is capable of. Tommy showed his true champion class and that is quite ominous for his opposition.”

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2012, 08:35 PM by Malcolm.)
06-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Website Find Reply