Administrator

Threads: 18,390
House of Keys - Tuesday 8th May 2012 - MGP
H O U S E - O F - K E Y S
O F F I C I A L - R E P O R T

Douglas, Tuesday, 8th May 2012

ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT

Manx Grand Prix - DED support

The Hon. Member for Douglas North (Mr Houghton) to ask the Minister for Economic Development:-

Whether his Department will announce its unequivocal support for the Manx Grand Prix in the future?

The Speaker: We turn now to Question 11. Mr Houghton, please.

Mr Houghton: Thank you, Mr Speaker.

I beg leave to ask the Question standing in my name, sir.

The Speaker: I call on the Minister for Economic Development, Hon. Member, Mr Shimmin.

The Minister for Economic Development (Mr Shimmin): Thank you, Mr Speaker.

My Department’s recent announcement about the proposals for the future of the Manx Grand Prix Festival provides the detail of how we see the event developing in the future. My Department exists to build a strong and diverse economy on the Isle of Man, and tourism is one sector of the economy in which motorsport events play an important part. Our proposals for the Manx Grand Prix Festival are designed to eradicate the current deficit by maximising the commercial potential of the event, including growing the number of visitors. They are not designed to end the event. My Department wishes to see the event grow and to be sustainable in the longer term, and I believe, Mr Speaker, that the current proposals evidence the Department’s support for the event.

The Speaker: Mr Houghton.

Mr Houghton: Mr Speaker, taking note of the Minister’s comments this morning and the severe concern by interested parties throughout the Island and beyond the shores of this Island, is he not coming to really agree with me that the bases of these proposals are seriously flawed?

Mr Speaker, does the Minister not agree that disregarding the Manx Motorcycle Club and other interested parties and knowledgeable people is a recipe for absolute failure in this place?

Does he also agree that his Department has disregarded those major consultees although he did consult with them, they have been completely disregarded – and that is the reason why there is a petition, a very strong petition building up against these proposals and a major meeting happening at Mount Murray tonight on this very issue?

The Speaker: Minister to reply.

The Minister: Thank you, Mr Speaker.

I am disappointed with the tack the Hon. Member is taking, when the whole intent of this is to safeguard and grow an event which is important to the Isle of Man.

It is easy for the Hon. Member to be lobbied by certain individuals, but I would remind him that the proposals coming forward are just that: they are proposals which we believe, based on the evidence we have compiled from a range of areas and people involved in this event, rather than just those who have a vested interest with regard to the Manx Motorcycle Club, or indeed other parties who enjoy the festival as it is now.

My biggest concern, Mr Speaker, remains that we carry with us the support of the hundreds of volunteers required to make both the TT and the Manx Grand Prix such amazing festivals. The information that we have received indicates that there is a strong desire from those who support the event to see change and I think it would be just as easy for the Hon. Member to criticise us, if we did not take notice of all those other parties.

This is an uncomfortable stage for all concerned. It is only a week since the proposals came out and I am personally pleased that the Manx Motorcycle Club are having a meeting this evening, so that they will elicit their members’ views across the board. There are many things which we are agreed upon. There are some things in which we still differ, but this is a process we are going through and certainly, if the Hon. Member requires petitions to make his judgement, then I am sure somebody could start a petition with a contrary view and equally get large amounts of support for that.

My Department is all about the economy and we believe this event has a strong future and we want to work with all parties to achieve that.

Several Members: Hear, hear.

The Speaker: Mr Houghton.

Mr Houghton: Mr Speaker, Mr Shimmin’s Department [Inaudible] all about failure in this major issue. He mentions hundreds of volunteers in support, when marshals themselves are talking about going on strike this TT, or for the TT Senior Race, to show their strength and the support who want for a real event.

If I can move on, Mr Speaker, and ask the Minister how is he supporting, how is he changing the whole feel of the Manx Grand Prix by supporting classic races, which are serious decline, and killing off newcomers and the whole oxygenation of the Manx Grand Prix by not supporting the
Clubman’s events in the proper way that they should? That is a significant amount of practising, space for inclement racing days when the weather is inclement, as we say; and also killing off bed nights by reducing the event in the way it is, so really what it will be is just one long weekend.

The Speaker: Minister.

The Minister: Thank you, Mr Speaker.

I think the Hon. Member is rehearsing comments that will be made this evening. I am sure they are comments that I have heard in the not-too-distant past over the last seven days and I feel it disappointing that the Hon. Member is regurgitating one side of an argument, whereas my
Department is attempting to be balanced on this.

The reality is that he talks and often talks about failure, as if it is almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. I think the negativity by the Hon. Member is disappointing at a time when we are trying to grow and build relationships with all parties involved. The ideas that are being put forward are in many parts supported by many people, even those who are supporters and marshals within the TT and Manx Grand Prix events. We are aware of some who disagree strongly and their voices are being listened to. I do not believe the floor of this House is the best place for a regurgitation of a prejudiced one-sided view, when it is far better to try and get the balance out, which is to actually try and achieve economic growth so that we can actually provide some of the services that the Hon. Member and others have been talking about
earlier today, sir.

The Speaker: Mr Houghton, I will make this the last supplementary.

Mr Houghton: Mr Speaker, how can the Minister stand up and say what he is saying, where he is talking about growing and building relationships, when indeed his Department has gagged the Manx Motorcycle Club and put them in an extremely embarrassing situation where they wish to see a future in the Manx Grand Prix, yet they are unable to speak their minds? How can he say that?

The Minister: I am not aware that they have been gagged particularly over the last seven days, Mr Speaker, and certainly comments and supporters of the MMCC are quite successful in getting a message across which seems to be contrary to what the Department is proposing.

The Hon. Member again makes the mistake of prejudging the outcome of this event and is actually polarising views, when actually there is a lot of common ground. (A Member: Hear, hear.) If the Hon. Member would diffuse some of this, rather than the rhetoric of this morning, we may have a chance of working with all parties to actually find a way forward. There are some people who are strongly against; however, he knows that there are some people who are strongly in favour and also there are a lot more people who believe change is beneficial and are working with us to try and achieve that.

The Speaker: I feel this line of questioning has run its course for the morning.

Mr Houghton: Mr Speaker, I ask you –

The Speaker: Mr Houghton, you have a final supplementary?

Mr Houghton: I do have one final supplementary for the Minister. Taking into account what the Minister has said this morning, how confident can he really be when even members of staff at the Department which put all this together are beginning to distance themselves from the whole issue?

The Minister: Mr Speaker, I find, whenever anything gets difficult, some people run for cover. Certainly, I am not aware of any of the officers within the Department. I am aware of some disagreement in political terms within the Department, and those voices have been listened to and will continue to be listened to. The reality, Mr Speaker, is everybody in this House believes that we should do more to build tourism to benefit the Isle of Man. (Mr Houghton: Hear, hear.) We have two flagship events in the motorsport calendar. We have other motorsport events which are very successful and important, but the TT and the Manx Grand Prix are our flagship events and my Department is looking to grow that. I would look towards the support, or at least the patience of Members whilst we try and succeed in growing tourism, motorsports and the long-term future of the Manx Motorcycle’s ambition for the Grand Prix. (Interjection by Mr Houghton)

09-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Website Find Reply