Redding back on the podium at rain-lashed Le Mans
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Redding back on the podium at rain-lashed Le Mans
[Image: marcvdshdr.jpg]

The Marc VDS Racing Team's Scott Redding made a stunning return to the podium in today's rain-lashed French Moto2 race at Le Mans, the British rider mastering treacherous conditions to finish in third position.

Redding made an aggressive start from the second row of the grid and quickly assessed grip levels to put his Kalex machine inside the top three for the opening 12 laps. Redding's new smooth riding style that he started using in France to help conserve his Dunlop tyres over a race distance was also a huge benefit in the wet conditions and the 19-year-old kept himself in contention for the podium, despite slipping back to fourth on lap 13.

In conditions that demanded immense skill and concentration, Redding was promoted back into third on lap 22 when hard charging French rider Johann Zarco crashed out of second place. Redding then rode a faultless final five laps to secure his first podium since the 2010 Australian Grand Prix at Phillip Island, a result made even more special coming in the home race for the Marc VDS Racing Team's technical sponsor Elf.

Scott Redding

"I am really happy because it feels like a long time since I was on the podium and this is a great result for me and the Marc VDS Team. We have been threatening to get a result like this all season and it feels great because last year was a bit of a disaster and we made a big gamble to change the chassis to Kalex. Right from the start of testing it made a big difference to my confidence. Apart from the result, the positive is that I felt confident in the rain. I had a great feeling with the bike and to be on the podium in the rain is a special feeling. It was tough at the start because each time I touched the throttle I'd lose the rear, so I just calmed down and tried to be smooth and attacked when I felt comfortable. Once I got back into third I just kept my concentration because it was easy to make a mistake and now we can move forward with a lot of confidence that I'm competitive in both wet and dry."

22-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Website Find Reply