Transponders
Anonymous
Unregistered

Transponders
I see New Era are selling transponders. Will these work with other clubs??? What are the logistics behind the transponder set up each time we go to a different club/circuit. Will they work at the TT. Will we be able to use the infamous New Era credit notes against the purchase of a transponder. Is it a fact that all clubs will soon be using these thingys
27-12-2002, 09:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Transponders-I vote YES !
These are the way forward and we must accept them as part of future racing.....They will give us accurate lap speeds and times..

At the TT they will bring in timings from assorted sites round the course which will give us on-going leaderboard positions...

The scoreboard at the start will become obsolete and will be replaced with a computerised system (it's gotta happen soon) and this will make the racing so much more definable.

However in my HUMBLE opinion I believe that the rider has enough expense without having to invest in multiple transponders..
However if he can invest only once and perhaps on the drip, if he could have one which would do the job for his season (purchased through the ACU when he gets that years licence) instead of buying one per race or race series, it would be more acceptable..

However if we have a transponder salesperson come to see us who can sell this transponder system as the be-all and end-all, then I feel riders will accept what good a transponder can do..

Until then.........lets think about the consequences !!!

I was fortunate to spend some time up on the top of the tower seeing how the transponder system worked at 2002 TT and saw only positives--couldn't find a single reason to turn it down !!
29-12-2002, 02:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm quite sure you only need one transponder, and the majority of mainland clubs are usuing them now. If you want to know more, send an email to the Kirkcaldy Club <A HREF="http://www.kdmc.co.uk">www.kdmc.co.uk</A>, and ask for Wardie's word on it. Hugh Ward can give you all the lowdown.
Just think back to the days when we said two-strokes would never catch on....damn things just seize all the time...
Need I go on
29-12-2002, 04:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey folks.
I suppose the transponders are going to be ok if they can be used as other posting mentioned "In conjunction with another series"
Up in scotland the only problem we had was a dispute over who actually won a race.
The reason being the guy who actually won was credited with 2nd place and vice versa!
The reason for this??
His transponder was fitted to the rear sub frame whereas the other had his on the fork leg!! So although his bike crossed the finish line first his transponder didnt!
What was the outcome?????
He had his First and only win of the year taken off him as "The computer does not lie"
Iron out such problems and for sure its the way to go!
Good luck to all in 2003
29-12-2002, 07:41 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Transponders-easy to get here.
<A HREF="http://www.mst-group.co.uk/newtesthomepage.asp">http://www.mst-group.co.uk/newtesthomepage.asp</A>

click on this, it's all you need.

Harvey T.
30-12-2002, 02:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have felt sorry for riders having another expense added to their racing budget. I also believe that the transponder system is the way to go. Unfortunately with mixed practices in the T.T. it will be necessary for riders to have one transponder per machine, so that the computer can identify which machine rather than the rider or the organisers have to run specific practice sessions for one class only when the transponder will only need to identify the rider - I wonder how the riders would feel about this.

As to the remark about the first rider across the line being awarded second place due to the positioning of his/her transponder this is possible and more importantly the finish line will have to be painted across the first line of the undersurface pick-up cable. I have seen a meeting where the pick-up cable was apart from the finish line and a rider slowing up at the finish line and chequered flag was awarded second place.

After my words may I take the oportunity to wish all a Happy, Prosperous and Peaceful New Year.

Best wishes,

Big D.
30-12-2002, 06:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having done TT s/board,i think a lot of thought should go into any change.One lap of TT,is totally different than anywhere else. If transponders fail on or of
the bike,where is the backup.S/BRD is not only for times ect,it also tells pit crews and loved ones how their people are progresing.So before any change at TT,stop and take stock.CHEERS BARNSIE,HAPPY NEWYEAR.

30-12-2002, 06:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

30-12-2002, 11:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep. That auld Scots motto..."Use the noddle" applies, doesn't it Harvey?
31-12-2002, 12:32 AM