Aitchison undergoes surgery to hand after Cadwell Crash
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Aitchison undergoes surgery to hand after Cadwell Crash
[Image: splitlathredmondlogo.jpg]

SPLITLATH Redmond’s Mark Aitchison was today due to undergo surgery after damaging two fingers on his right hand in a crash at Cadwell Park.

The Aussie had been running in sixth spot in Bank Holiday Monday’s first race at the famous Lincolnshire track when he crashed out on Lap Three.
It had been the best track position the team has had this season, and followed a strong qualifying on Sunday when Aitchison set the ninth quickest lap and grabbed himself a front row start.

After damaging two fingers in the crash he headed straight to hospital. Doctors were today due to assess the extent of the damage and then operate.

“I’m still unsure of how bad it is, but I’m hoping we can get this sorted out quickly so I can be back in time for Donington Park in a fortnight,” he said.

“My hand was a bit of a mess yesterday but I’m hopeful that we can get it fixed up as soon as possible. It’s a shame because it was going so well. I’d got a good start off the line and was up to sixth almost straight away but then I just lost it at Charlie’s. I was gutted because we were on course for our best result of the year.”

[Image: markaitchison.jpg]

It was also a difficult day for team-mate John Laverty, who pulled into retirement in Race One with a painful shoulder while running in 23rd position.

After resting for a few hours both Laverty and the team decided to withdraw from the second race because of concerns about the nature of the track making the problem worse.

Team Manager John Dimbylow said it had been a weekend of extreme highs mixed with similar lows.

“It’s been a fantastic weekend in many ways, but also very difficult in others. Before Mark crashed he was absolutely flying. He was up in the top six and running with the leading pack, proving what both he and the bike are capable of. Unfortunately he tipped off and damaged his hand and will have surgery today. We hope he will be fit for Donington.

“As for John, he pulled his shoulder in Race One and because of the nature of the track we decided it was best to withdraw from the second.”

28-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Website Find Reply