IofM Government Dep't of ED Publishes Proposals for new Classic TT Races
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
IofM Government Dep't of ED Publishes Proposals for new Classic TT Races
[Image: dedmmccheader.jpg]

Isle of Man Government Department of Economic Development Publishes Proposals for new Classic TT Races

Following the announcement that the Manx Motor Cycle Club and the Department of Economic Development (DED) had reached an agreement on the future direction of the Manx Grand Prix Festival, the Department has published its outline proposals for the newly introduced Classic TT Races which will form a key part of the new festival.

The proposal features three Classic TT Races taking place over the traditional middle weekend of racing and the August Bank Holiday Monday. The Manx Grand Prix Races are scheduled to run on the following Wednesday and Friday with practice and qualifying for both series of races taking place during the previous week.

Early plans include the potential for a four-day festival of motorcycling nostalgia to support the Classic TT Races. The festival will feature period events, exhibitions of exotic classic racing motorcycles, chat shows and autograph sessions with legendary riders, parade laps, air displays, Vintage Motorcycle Club Events and family entertainment.

The proposals also include a revamped race programme and race regulations with races for the traditional MGP 500cc and 350cc class, rebranded as Classic TT Races, along with new Formula 1 and Formula 2 Classic TT Races.

The plans would see the Formula 1 and Formula 2 Races run concurrently and would represent the original FIM World Championship classes of the same title from the late 1980’s and early 1990’s. These new classes would open the Classic TT to a new generation of machinery including iconic machines such as the Honda RC30, Kawasaki ZXR 750, Yamaha OW01, Suzuki GSX-R 750 and Ducati 888.

A number of sub classes are also being proposed to ensure competitors of all abilities and experience, and machinery of varying specifications, can compete in the Classic TT Races in an environment that promotes equality and sportsmanship.

All competitors in the Classic TT would be given a classification as either a GP Rider or Clubman Rider depending on their previous results and experience, with further sub-divisions relating to the specification of the machinery they are competing on.

Whilst there would only be one podium presentation per race, based on the overall race result, the sub classes would be used to determine qualification times, the awarding of replicas and other trophies and would be clearly identified in the official results and recognized as sub-class winners in the official post race press reports.

The Department is inviting comments from interested parties via e-mail at iomtt@gov.im by Monday 24th September 2012.

Colin Kniveton, Chief Executive, Department of Economic Development commented:

“We have had a remarkable response to the idea of a Classic TT from the international classic motorcycle movement, which confirms our research that our motorsport heritage is unrivalled anywhere in the world. We have spoken to people from all corners of the globe including existing and potential competitors, machine owners, parade participants and race fans and all are keen to be a part of this new event.”

“We have also had a very encouraging response to our plans for the race regulations from existing MGP classic competitors and machine owners, teams and riders who have competed at the MGP in the past who are keen to return and also potential new participants.

“We now have a huge amount of work to do to develop our plans alongside our key stakeholders including the Manx Motor Cycle Club, the TT Marshals Association, the Vintage Motor Cycle Club and our commercial partners. We intend to release the regulations for the event by the end of September to allow people the maximum possible time to prepare for the inaugural event. We then plan to release details of some of the riders and machines expected to compete along with further details of the supporting festival events, ticket options and travel packages at the Motorcycle Live event at the Birmingham NEC in November.”

2013 Race Programme

Saturday 24 August
Race 1 The 500cc Classic TT Race

Monday 26 August
Race 2 The 350cc Classic TT Race
Race 3 The Formula 1 Classic TT Race / The Formula 2 TT Classic TT Race
(2 races ran concurrently)

Machine Eligibility

The 500cc Classic TT Race
- 301cc–500cc Machines as per MGP Regulations

The 350cc Classic TT Race
- 175cc - 350cc Machines as per MGP Regulations

The Formula 1 Classic TT Race
- Up to 1000cc 4 stroke Machines Pre 1975
- Up to 1300cc 4 stroke Machines Pre 1986
- Up to 750cc 4 stroke, 4 cylinder Machines Pre 1993
- Up to 1000cc 4 stroke, 2 cylinder Machines Pre 1993
- 351cc - 750cc 2 stroke Machines

The Formula 2 Classic TT Race
- Up to 750cc 4 stroke, 2 cylinder Machines Pre 1986
- Up to 600cc 4 stroke, 4 cylinder Machines Pre 1986
- 126cc -350cc 2 Stroke Machines Pre 1993

Race Sub Classes

500cc Classic TT Race

Class GP1 301cc–500cc Single Cylinder and Push Rod Twin Cylinder Machines ridden by GP status Riders
Class C1 301cc–500cc Single Cylinder and Push Rod Twin Cylinder Machines ridden by Clubman status Riders
Class GP2 301cc–500cc Multiple Cylinder Machines ridden by GP status Riders
Class C2 301cc–500cc Multiple Cylinder Machines ridden by Clubman status Riders

350cc Classic TT Race

Class GP1 300cc - 350cc Single Cylinder Machines ridden by GP status Riders
Class C1 300cc - 350cc Single Cylinder Machines ridden by Clubman status Riders
Class GP2 300cc - 350cc Multiple Cylinder Machines ridden by GP status Riders
Class C2 300cc - 350cc Multiple Cylinder Machines ridden by Clubman status Riders
Class GP3 175cc - 250cc Two Stroke Machines ridden by GP status Riders
Class C3 175cc - 250cc Two Stroke Machines ridden by Clubman status Riders
Class GP4 175cc - 250cc Four Stroke Machines ridden by GP status Riders
Class C4 175cc - 250cc Four Stroke Machines ridden by Clubman status Riders

Formula 1 TT Race

Class GP1 Pre 1975 Machines ridden by GP status Riders
Class C1 Pre 1975 Machines ridden by Clubman status Riders
Class GP2 Pre 1985 Machines ridden by GP status Riders
Class C2 Pre 1985 Machines ridden by Clubman status Riders
Class GP3 Pre 1993 Machines ridden by GP status Riders
Class C3 Pre 1993 Machines ridden by Clubman status Riders

Formula 2 TT Race

Class GP1 Pre 1986 2 Stroke Machines ridden by GP status Riders
Class C1 Pre 1986 2 Stroke Machines ridden by Clubman status Riders
Class GP2 Pre 1993 2 Stroke Machines ridden by GP status Riders
Class C2 Pre 1993 2 Stroke Machines ridden by Clubman status Riders
Class GP3 Pre 1986 4 stroke, 2 cylinder Machines ridden by GP status Riders
Class C3 Pre 1986 4 stroke, 2 cylinder Machines by Clubman status Riders
Class GP4 Pre 1986 4 stroke, 4 cylinder Machines ridden by GP status Riders
Class C4 Pre 1986 4 stroke, 4 cylinder Machines by Clubman status Riders

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM by Malcolm.)
05-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: IofM Government Dep't of ED Publishes Proposals for new Classic TT Races
I note that the latest idea from the DED and the illustrious Mr Kniveton is to have so many classes and sub-classes that everybody will win a prize.

Honestly, if these people had any amount of brains at all they'd be seriously dangerous.

Confused
05-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Larry you're dead right! Just imagine the commentators task ahead of them! Doesn't bear thinking about. Then you have the signaller out on the course listening to the radio. Unless the rider was a so called "" TT star", they're unlikely to get a mention, such will be the degree of difficulty in following each race.

Absolute cobblers!
05-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23
Totally bewildering,and how exactly is a rider of GP status defined.I presume it means the likes of Crutchlow,McWilliams and even Rossi.! What an absolute can of pigs ears.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2012, 06:37 PM by beepee.)
05-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Find Reply
ammo Offline

Threads: 3
(05-09-2012, 06:36 PM)beepee Wrote: Totally bewildering,and how exactly is a rider of GP status defined.I presume it means the likes of Crutchlow,McWilliams and even Rossi.! What an absolute can of pigs ears.

C'mon Larry, Nick and beepee, surely you dont think that these people havent sat down and thought about minor details like these. Surely they would have to do this sort of thing and work out every last detail of their plans and be totally competent to run such an event, otherwise they wouldn't be in the (presumably highly paid) positions that they are in at the moment would they, well would they? Icon_eek Icon_lol

ammo
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2012, 08:39 PM by ammo.)
06-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Find Reply
rc30alfie Offline

Threads: 0
(05-09-2012, 06:36 PM)beepee Wrote: Totally bewildering,and how exactly is a rider of GP status defined.I presume it means the likes of Crutchlow,McWilliams and even Rossi.! What an absolute can of pigs ears.

If you took the time to read through the proposals you would probably see this..........
"As an initial guide, a rider regularly finishing on the podium in the 500cc, 350cc, Classic Superbike or Junior Post Classic, MGP Classic Races or a current TT competitor who regularly finishes inside the top 10 at the TT will likely be graded as a GP Rider. All other riders will likely be graded as a Clubman Rider."
07-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Find Reply
ammo Offline

Threads: 3
(07-09-2012, 08:13 AM)rc30alfie Wrote:

If you took the time to read through the proposals you would probably see this..........
"As an initial guide, a rider regularly finishing on the podium in the 500cc, 350cc, Classic Superbike or Junior Post Classic, MGP Classic Races or a current TT competitor who regularly finishes inside the top 10 at the TT will likely be graded as a GP Rider. All other riders will likely be graded as a Clubman Rider."

Well, unless Ive gone totally blind, I cant see anywhere in the above statement where it says that so perhaps you would like to point out where this is, or have you seen something that we havent ? So, whats it all about, Alfie ?

ammo

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2012, 08:38 PM by ammo.)
07-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23
Yes ,I have just re read the proposals as posted by Malcom and the only mention of status would appear to be based on experience,no mention of what that experience might be.
I like conspiracy theories and I have just read on another TT forum that there will be free entries and prize money for the Classic TT but not for the MGP.The theory goes that the MGP will be tagged on to the end of 'classic weekend'but with little promotion thereby letting it die a slow death and the DED will be shown to be correct that the event could only survive as a long weekend jaunt.

I have not been able to verify the forgoing but it is food for thought.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2012, 10:11 PM by beepee.)
07-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
(07-09-2012, 09:53 PM)beepee Wrote: Yes ,I have just re read the proposals as posted by Malcom and the only mention of status would appear to be based on experience,no mention of what that experience might be.

Have the ded evan thought how or who is going to police all these new classes because they dont know their a+se from their elbo and as i believe from next year the manx motor cycle club will be running the modern bikes and all the classics are under the control of the ded
07-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
Just to many classes, and awards, they will become meaningless. I can understand why the DED have done this, but at the end of the day, the only person who is remembered is the man who WON the race!
I can see a few people being upset if the Classic TT riders get free entries, and the 'modern' riders have to pay for their entries.
Another 'awkward' point could be the Paddock?Will the 'top' Classic teams be put in the 'A' and 'B' Paddock'?
I am not anti Classic, but ...................
07-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Hmmm am I blind.. or when I read the above, there is NO mention of a NEWCOMERS RACE..????? Pure Rubbish...!!!! Even a blind man knows we need a Newcomers Race, and it should be the FIRST race.... The Manx Government is clueless.... come on guys... time to speak up..!!! A lot of TT racers started out in the MGP as a Newcomer....

Now, when are the Manx elections..??? Residents need to make your voices heard.. vote those that are anti MGP out...

08-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

OK, it is clear that some people do not understand Classic Bikes and Classic bike racing... One merely has to look at how many Classic bikes fail to finish, year after year. So with the proposed rules, we go from a Friday practice to a Saturday race (Classic 500).. This is not a good plan, as in the past I (we) have used Sunday as a final preparation day... This typically includes an engine teardown, and more... not just a tire change. This takes a lot of time. With the new schedule, would have to burn the Midnight Oil on Friday to get ready for Saturday... OR skip the Friday practice... this is NOT a good idea... especially for the racers that have to work on their own bikes... You do not just push a button on a Classic race bike... they take a lot more effort... which pays off for those that finish with huge smiles..!
Ron
13-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Threads: 4
Ron, i see where you are coming from , and as a entrant of a classic bike i can see the problems,BUT,it seems that any proposal made is now jumped on and frowned upon, more so on the other forum,but still on here by dedicated persons,entrants,riders and the like. Is it not time to cut the promoters a bit of slack, OR offer a set of proposals for further consideration. No way will any format suit everyone, but i respect your point. Only time will tell whatworks and what doesn,t. I personnaly think the new proposals are good and might just give the Manx a lift to another level. What would you propose?
13-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Whilst on the subject, what would you guys propose, there,s bound to be someone high up look in and give consideration to your thoughts, now,s the time to talk.
13-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
If you have any suggestions contact Paul Philips, he seems open to ideas. I and others, pushed for the 250 race to be counted as a race and not just a sub catagory, and to his credit he is going to give it a try.
13-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Well done, that,s the way.
14-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Time to revive this thread... I am still wondering about the accounting of it all.. As a foreigner, I seek knowledge... The method of counting attendence is by the number of bikes on the Ferry boats during the two week period.. I do not see how this could be accurate... I just don't...

We know a few things... in no special order...

1. Some Manx residents do leave the Island during race periods..
2. The racers and crews (and bikes) often arrive days or weeks before hand.. and never get counted..
3. Lots of bikes come over inside of a van or in a container and are never counted.
4. Air passengers are not counted (is this correct..??)
5. Both the Steam Packet and the Air Lines KNOW not only how many people come and go during this period, but they know the country of origin..!

So, looking at number 5 above... why not use the most accurate data..? And how will the numbers look next year if the inaccuracies continue..?? I would bet that the real numbers (for this year at least) are still in the Steam Packet and Air Lines data base.. I can wonder how far back they could go...

Just me... dreaming of what is to come next year...

Ron
(This post was last modified: 30-10-2012, 05:12 PM by Gstarron.)
30-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Find Reply