Rea ‘ready’ for Misano mission
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Rea ‘ready’ for Misano mission
[Image: repsolhondahdr.jpg]

Northern Ireland’s MotoGP recruit Jonathan Rea couldn’t be making his race debut in motorcycling’s blue riband class at a better circuit than Misano in Italy this weekend.

The 25-year-old claimed his maiden triumph in World Superbikes at Misano in 2009 and finished fifth and second in both WSBK races there earlier this season.

Rea is preparing for the biggest moment in his career to date as he replaces reigning world champion Casey Stoner in the full factory Honda at the San Marino round, joining title challenger Dani Pedrosa in the iconic Repsol livery.

Aussie Stoner is recovering following ankle surgery and Rea, who enhanced his status with Honda after becoming the first British rider in history to win the prestigious Suzuka 8-Hours World Endurance race in Japan in the summer, has been granted a dream opportunity to showcase his talent at the pinnacle of the sport.

Rea has been thrown in at the deep end and won’t be expecting miracles with limited track time on the fire-breathing 1000cc RC213V Honda.

The Ulster star tested the bike in the post-race shakedown at Brno in the Czech Republic last month and also participated in a private two-day test at Aragon, where Rea is also expected to deputise again for Stoner when the MotoGP series visits the Spanish venue on September 30.

Rea has made steady progress since his first outing on the Repsol Honda at Brno, where he was 3.1s off the pace.

By the time he ended the second day of the Aragon shakedown, the Ten Kate Honda World Superbike rider had reduced the deficit to the top to 1.8s, achieving his fastest time on the final lap of the test.

Looking ahead to what could prove a watershed moment in his career this weekend, Rea said: “For me it’s a big dream come true just to race in MotoGP; it’s been very unfortunate for Casey to sustain such an injury when he was having a very strong season and my best wishes go to him while he recovers.

“Now, my job is to replace him and I will try to do the best I can. I love Misano, I’ve already raced there this year and I finished second. It’s also where I had my first ever Superbike win in 2009 and I enjoy the circuit and the Italian fans - they are always very enthusiastic.

“I take this opportunity like a great gift from Honda; in the few days I’ve spent with the team I have felt very good, they understand it will take me some time to push with this bike but I’m learning every time I get on it,” he added.

“It’s been great to have these three days testing on the bike to prepare myself and for sure Friday morning will be less chaotic. We already have the riding position set, the base set-up is set and I understand the electronics a little more.

“I know it’s going to be busy, but I’m ready.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
13-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Website Find Reply