Espargaro excited after positive first day in MotoGP
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Espargaro excited after positive first day in MotoGP
[Image: tech3greenhdr.jpg]

The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team welcomed Spanish rider Pol Espargaro into its ranks today, with the reigning Moto2 World Champion enjoying a positive start to preparations for his eagerly awaited new adventure in the MotoGP class.

With the track not open until midday, Espargaro took advantage of the late start to acquaint himself with his new crew, which will be led in 2014 by long-time Tech 3 telemetry expert Nicolas Goyon.

Espargaro spent 45 laps on track today, with warm and sunny conditions this afternoon giving him the ideal opportunity to adjust to the much heavier and more powerful 1000cc YZR-M1 machine.

He set a best time of 1.33.187 to finish 10th on the timesheets and impressively for a first day on the YZR-M1 and Bridgestone tyres, he was able to lap within two seconds of factory Yamaha duo Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi.

With a busy testing schedule lined up for Bradley Smith, which includes the opportunity to test the 2013 factory spec chassis, fuel tank and seat unit, the 22-year-old opted to take a rest day to be in the best physical and mental shape possible for riding tomorrow (Tuesday) and Wednesday.

Pol Espargaro 10th 1.33.187 – 45 laps:

“Today was a very special moment in my career and it was unbelievable to finally ride a MotoGP bike. I have been looking forward to working with the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team and immediately I could feel this is a very professional and high-level team with fantastic support from Yamaha. The YZR-M1 is incredible and today I just tried to learn as much as possible. The power of the engine is something you notice immediately and today I just did as many laps as I could with the aim to get a feel for the bike. We didn’t try any different settings or touch the electronics but the sensation to ride this bike is simply amazing. I am looking forward to gaining more experience on the bike in the remainder of the test and to show more of the potential of this bike.”

12-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Website Find Reply