Tech3 duo ready to kick start second half of season at the Brickyard
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Tech3 duo ready to kick start second half of season at the Brickyard
[Image: tech3greenhdr.jpg]

Monster Yamaha Tech3 Team riders Pol Espargaro and Bradley Smith will recommence their 2014 MotoGP World Championship campaigns at the Indianapolis Grand Prix this weekend after the mid point break for the 10thrace of the season.

The second round to be held in America will be undertaken at one of the most significant motorsport tracks on the planet, the Indianapolis circuit in Indiana, which has hosted the MotoGP round since 2008. With ten left corners and six right, the elite circuit also consists of using the renowned Indianapolis 872 metre straight which is part of the famous oval race track. Modifications have been made ahead of the MotoGP carnival’s visit for the 27 lap sprint, which includes new asphalt on the infield section of the track as well as increasing the angles of turns 2-4, 7-9 and 15-16 to improve the safety and enhance overtaking opportunities for the racing spectacle on Sunday.

Rookie Pol Espargaro will intend to build on his noticeable start to the first half of the season, which saw him finish in 7th in the world championship standings before the break and continue to bridge the gap to the leading MotoGP bikes. On the other side of the garage, Britain’s Bradley Smith will confidently aim to turn a somewhat tricky opening half of the season around and battle for a competitive and confidence boosting result this weekend.

Pol Espargaro

"With the first half of the season completed, there was time to analyse how I had performed so far this year, but now after the summer break I already can't wait to get back on track to continue to climb higher. My performance in the opening 9 rounds was generally positive even if luck wasn't on our side especially during the last couple of races and I hope we can show our real potential here in Indianapolis, which will see us closer to the front as I know I have more to offer. As for the Indy track itself, it is a really famous one that I am really proud to ride along with the other riders due to its rich, amazing history. There have been some revisions to the circuit which will be positive for everyone but especially for me as I have ridden well here in the past. I won my first race in the 125cc class in 2009 as well as claiming my first podium in Moto2 in 2011, so this track will always have a special place in my heart which inspires me to really go for it this weekend as well as for the rest of the year."

Bradley Smith

"After an enjoyable summer break where I was able to fully recharge my batteries, I am ready for action this weekend at Indy and am determined to get a really strong result for myself as well as the Monster Yamaha Tech3 team to get us back on target in the championship. It’s easy to see that it has been tricky for me so far this year. Yet, my finger injury has cleared plus I am highly motivated to try my hardest to clinch a position inside the top 5 this weekend, which is where I know I need to be every race. It will be interesting to see how the modifications of the circuit affect the pace and the overtaking opportunities but for sure the changes will be positive. Now, it’s up to me. I just can’t wait to get back on the Yamaha YZR-M1, bounce back and go hard for the second half of the season."

Hervé Poncharal - Team Manager :

"Now that the summer break is over, it’s time to get back to the racing and show the GP paddock what we can do. I am surethat both Pol and Brad have refreshed themselves and are now ready to carry on doing their best. At the just beyond the half way point of the season we know where we are at and I still think that we have not yet shown our true potential. Pol had a good run in the opening 9 rounds, although he also had some ill luck,but with every turn of the wheel of his Yamaha YZR-M1 he is gaining experience. His progress has been very good, so now we hope he can carry on pushing and closing in on the factory bikes. As for Brad, who has been unlucky as well, it’s time for him to get back on the bike and go for it. The break will have done him good so we know he will have a strong second half of the season and get back into the top 5 which is where he is aiming for,plusneeds to be. Therefore both riders have been down on luck at times and there is a margin to improve, but a strong second half of the year should be in front of us starting this weekend. It is great to come back here every year and Indy is a race that we all look forward to. It’s simply fantastic for the GP bikes to be running on the brickyard straight which is part of the world famous oval circuit, so this weekend we will be back and ready to go for glory once again."

06-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Website Find Reply