Splashdown returns
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Splashdown returns
Ok, I have made a brief appearance as NickJ, but Malcolm has kindly changed my user name back to Splashdown, (thank you Malcolm).
To be honest, to some degree, I have to thank many of the forum users, (both here and t'other side), for energising me into going back into racing. I was a lost cause to the world of golf, (which I still really enjoy,), and I never had any thoughts about riding the TT course again until some of you guys and girls started to encourage me.
Well, I have had two years both short circuits and Classic TT/Manx, and quite honestly, it has been the best thing I have done for years.
If a 62 year old can have this much fun riding round the TT course, then you all ought to be having a go. Yes, even after 40 years, it genuinely is that good.
I did wonder if anyone my age had been round faster than I had. I can't think of anyone over 60 doing more than 114.8, who was the forum member with all the stats?
Could anyone put me in the right direction for a decent photo please on the Kawasaki in the SuperTwins Manx? I need to give a photo to a super sponsor.
Well, next years it will be 40 years since I first raced there, (Norton Commando in the 10 lap Production race). I had Guy Martin's father Ian as my co-rider until he crashed at Sarah's, then it was Dick Pipes.
I'm keen to have another go next year, even though the short circuit qualifying drives me mad. I just need some encouragement please!!

ps. It's terrific that we have ,in the main, all re-grouped over here.
I received an explanatory e-mail from an MHK today, which is confidential, it explains their thinking behind the removal of the forum. As I have said before, I think they are missing a trick, but, well obviously they know best.
24-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: Splashdown returns
Get yourself back out there Nick, good to see you and everybody old and new on here, very jealous about your return but I do have 15 years on you to squeeze back into some leathers, got a garage full of bikes mind.
(This post was last modified: 24-11-2014, 09:59 PM by Alfie Noakes.)
24-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Find Reply
iomfireblade Offline

Threads: 2
It was a pleasure to see you back on the mountain course ,watched you practice nights at greeba bridge as usual fast and smooth ,well done .get your leathers back on for next year Nick .
24-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Find Reply
Ken37.73 Offline

Threads: 1
+1. It would be great to see you back in 2015.
24-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
nick if you want to do it and feel fit enough and of coarse the wife is ok with it
then do it
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
24-11-2014, 11:57 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
Ye great to have you back , but oh I hate that ( I know but I am not telling ) that's sleeping with foot in both camps ,
25-11-2014, 12:00 AM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
Hats of to you splashdown your an inspiration to us all and that's a mega time, in the words of mr Guy Martin "None to shabby between't hedges" 👮
25-11-2014, 12:58 AM
Find Reply
b5070 Offline

Glad to see you back as Splashdown Nick. You are definitely an inspiration for us old farts to get out again. I'm a long way from getting back on the Island, but just recently did a track day on a 300 Ninja, (after 6 years away)  and just fettled a Kawi 636 which I'll be riding once we get a steering damper fitted. Sure - I too don't like the short circuit stuff, but -- it's all we have here in Texas -- and at least I'm on track. Get back out please, and make us owd folks proud
Cheers,
Brid.
25-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
Welcome to the other side Nick. Go on get out there I do hope you have sorted all your licence issues that was the main stumbling block last year.
 If you cannot remember any of the course maybe you should watch " On bike 1"  its by some lad but with good commentry it comes highly recommended  Blush  
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
25-11-2014, 09:37 AM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Very good Kursaal Flyer! Very funny. Mark my words, that video is 21 years old, and still works!
I have no problems remembering the course, I just have problems having the time to qualify.
Anyway, moving on, I have had a bike offered today for next year. Very exciting!
Thank you forum members, thank you for your words of encouragement. This is the time of year when you need them.
25-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
whats the family got to say about it nick
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
25-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Some keen, some not so keen.
Classic trials in an option at the moment. I have to have an operation on my right hand in a few weeks. If I make a good recovery, I should be OK. It's not been easy grabbing hold of the front brake these last two years!
Oh yes, by the way Scaramanga, I haven't got a wife, so no issues there. I have a girlfriend who is very keen, (on racing!).
Two lovely daughters who both ride.
25-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Threads: 6
Nick it was great seeing you on a bike on the Island racing in the MGP..... one of the highlights - interesting to see how people talked each lap you rode past when I was watching. You only live once, you have to do what makes you happy while you can.
Hope that gives you a little encouragement.
25-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Find Reply
David Linsdell Offline

Hi Nick - Good to see you back out there and going so well the last couple of years. Dad is very jealous, even though he's only been stopped a couple of years!

On the 60+ fastest lap, the only one that springs to mind is possibly Chris McGahan in the Supersport TT... unsure how old he is exactly, but he's posted a few 113 and 114mph race averages in recent years. Good luck for 2015!

David
25-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 7
[Image: 8fedaf08-f1d7-4f71-b99d-09a43b36cb37_zps6f38e35d.jpg]
Hi Nick,I've got this photo if it's any good to you.
25-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Find Reply
serowmaster Offline

Threads: 4
Mick grant now does classic trials Nick and enjoys every minute of it

GETTING OLD IS MANDATORY FEELING OLD IS OPTIONAL smilie
25-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
I could see your happy smile through the visor when you came back up the road into the paddock. 4th place was it?
26-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Jan, yes I was probably smiling, sadly, it wasn't 4th, it was 7th on the Kawasaki. 12th on the RC30 after incurring a one minute penalty for speeding in the pit lane. You must come and say "hallo" next time I wander past you.
David. The idea IS to make your Dad jealous. We need him out there!!
Eric. It's a smashing photo, and it would be ideal. How do I go about getting hold of a copy?
It's no big deal with the over 60 fastest lap, I was just curious as to who had done what. My mate Tony Moss of Wem in Shropshire reckons he did 112 on an R1 in the TT around 2005. Yes probably Chris Mcgahan would be up there.
If Dave Madsden Mygdal continues doing the TT then he will easily be the fastest when he turns 60. He's a star isn't he, and an inspiration?
Thanks for all your words of support, it is appreciated.
26-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 7
HI Nick,I've sent a copy of the photo by P.M.It's my first attempt at sending one,so hopefully you'll receive it o.k.
26-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Threads: 10
Nick,
Like yourself,
I have moved from the other site, which i never posted on,
But have been following your return last year,
Have got to say a BIG WELL DONE !
You looked like you hadnt been away from the circuit at all, more so on the RC30,
Just need to get the glitches sorted out that you suffered with it ?

Well done,
Chances are i might be picking your brains soon,,

Benjies dad, Icon_biggrin
03-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Find Reply