Like Bees to a homey pot
N11NJA Offline

Threads: 2
Like Bees to a homey pot
I have been to IoM 3 times now, including 2013 and 2014.
I know that we all come for the TT and truly enjoy every moment of it.
But I think there's more to it than that.
I wasn't going to come over for 2015 TT although I did put a deposit on ferry crossings, (wrong week) ha ha.
But, I find myself missing the place already, at this early stage I am pining for the island.
The scenic views coming over the hills from Peel to Port Erin.
The early morning walk along the beach at Port Erin.
Ice cream parlour at Peel.
The friendly people from all corners of the world..

The point is...
What is it that draws us to the island like bees to a honey pot??? coz I think there's more to it than bikes..

Colin T
30-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
RE: Like Bees to a homey pot
Its the fairy dust , that gives it it's magic ness

some thing the ded can not touch thank god and it is good for the average lifetime
30-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Find Reply
dave1400 Offline
Banned

Threads: 1
The smell of the kippers wafting across from Peel ? Icon_mrgreen
30-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Find Reply
N11NJA Offline

(30-11-2014, 09:20 PM)Hey!!! just remembered my first time there.The smell of wild garlic on the road past Fairy Bridge... loved it.. dave1400 Wrote: The smell of the kippers wafting across from Peel ? Icon_mrgreen
30-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

Always thought it was great for younger kids. When mine were young brought them over and did loads of things. No ancient stone left unseen, visited all the museums, went for walks, got on the steam train, a ride in the horse trams, when the youngest turned 14 did quad riding, they'd been carting what have you. Funny though, one May holiday queueing at Schiphol airport got talking to a lady with two young girls. She was going to IOM cause she'd met a new boy friend and he lived over there, but, the island rather dull, nothing there for the children, once they'd land they'd fly on to Greece, he would treat them to a holiday. This was a Dutch lady, now my children speak English, fed with the bottle and language incorporated, but I thought... ow.. the island rather dull.. right... I thought it a matter of intelligence, but certainly did not say this out loud. It shows there's different approaches to everything.
01-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Find Reply
N11NJA Offline

(01-12-2014, 10:10 AM)Amsterdam Wrote: Always thought it was great for younger kids. When mine were young brought them over and did loads of things. No ancient stone left unseen, visited all the museums, went for walks, got on the steam train, a ride in the horse trams, when the youngest turned 14 did quad riding, they'd been carting what have you. Funny though, one May holiday queueing at Schiphol airport got talking to a lady with two young girls. She was going to IOM cause she'd met a new boy friend and he lived over there, but, the island rather dull, nothing there for the children, once they'd land they'd fly on to Greece, he would treat them to a holiday. This was a Dutch lady, now my children speak English, fed with the bottle and language incorporated, but I thought... ow.. the island rather dull.. right... I thought it a matter of intelligence, but certainly did not say this out loud. It shows there's different approaches to everything.

I think kids nowadays are only interested in the hard hitting adrenaline pumping fair ground rides. They don't seem to like the simple things in life or the culture and history that has brought us to where we are. If it isn't on their iphone it's not worth looking at... shame coz they're missing out on so much. 
01-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
(01-12-2014, 01:02 PM)N11NJA Wrote:
(01-12-2014, 10:10 AM)Amsterdam Wrote: Always thought it was great for younger kids. When mine were young brought them over and did loads of things. No ancient stone left unseen, visited all the museums, went for walks, got on the steam train, a ride in the horse trams, when the youngest turned 14 did quad riding, they'd been carting what have you. Funny though, one May holiday queueing at Schiphol airport got talking to a lady with two young girls. She was going to IOM cause she'd met a new boy friend and he lived over there, but, the island rather dull, nothing there for the children, once they'd land they'd fly on to Greece, he would treat them to a holiday. This was a Dutch lady, now my children speak English, fed with the bottle and language incorporated, but I thought... ow.. the island rather dull.. right... I thought it a matter of intelligence, but certainly did not say this out loud. It shows there's different approaches to everything.

I think kids nowadays are only interested in the hard hitting adrenaline pumping fair ground rides. They don't seem to like the simple things in life or the culture and history that has brought us to where we are. If it isn't on their iphone it's not worth looking at... shame coz they're missing out on so much. 

I am with Amsterdam, kids will only succomb to the virtual world if you allow them. I had my 4 year old cycling up the access road and round the NSC yesterday. We walked up Snaefell on Saturday. there is so much to do outdoors on this Isle if you want to get off your backside to do it.
01-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

Can sympathize with you both. My children were little some years back and now students. I must say that during a flight to Australia (that's posh enough, not all of us do travel down under certainly not with the intensity we did back than, but husband worked with the airline) Remember a lady flight attendant taking little Liam, aged 3 with her into the gally to read stories to. She commented: these children are not spoiled and that's what you hardly see nowadays. Nowadays being 16 years ago. The Aus. rello's thought our daughter was spoiled, she wore Nikes on her feet!  whereas she had difficult feet and we were happy to have found a pair of shoes she could wear... So it's all in perspective.
Think it helps when parents are active and doing outdoor stuff encourageing the kids. My son loved climbing Snaefell and it kept being an attraction to him every year we visited. Electronic gadgets fine, gaming fine, but NOT just full stop and I talk to parents sometimes, with younger children who do have to make an effort to ban these items. As for my son, studies, plays in a band and is gaming heaps, but during summer holidays when golf surfing is on, gaming is forgotten.
I think I visited IOM 6 or 7 years consecutively. Last time 2013 to see TT... next time... not sure, off the dole first, see what 2015 will bring job wise. Would love to visit for TT 2015 and when I do will still climb Sneafell!
01-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
(30-11-2014, 07:49 PM)N11NJA Wrote: I have been to IoM 3 times now, including 2013 and 2014.
I know that we all come for the TT and truly enjoy every moment of it.
But I think there's more to it than that.
I wasn't going to come over for 2015 TT although I did put a deposit on ferry crossings, (wrong week) ha ha.
But, I find myself missing the place already, at this early stage I am pining for the island.
The scenic views coming over the hills from Peel to Port Erin.
The early morning walk along the beach at Port Erin.
Ice cream parlour at Peel.
The friendly people from all corners of the world..

The point is...
What is it that draws us to the island like bees to a honey pot??? coz I think there's more to it than bikes..

Colin T
Don't know what it is N11NJA, but I have been going since 1962 and still cannot get enough of the place.
01-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

Quote:N11NJA

Been thinking about this one. Did you see bbc news item last week, about a British winter wonderland park, -partly designed by L. S. Bowen- which opened but was not up to scratch. A mum complaining, well she did get her money back but the children were so disappointed! As if it was a crime. I thought good for them! Out here 1100 young children receive treatment because they cannot handle disappointment. Can you believe it?!

Women's weekly said: how do you like your boss? Many women complained. One really stood out. Working in a store, one afternoon she spots two children who are trying to spit on the lady at the till some floors down. She tells them to stop. Their mum complains to the store manager and her boss tells her to apologize to this mum!!! I would have told boss in no uncertain terms to do it himself and not forget to hand over some flowers! (well... I am out of job from time to time  :-) But there's certain things, you just don't take them. Makes me glad I've raised the kids and am not raising them now. Would it be so that peer behaviour turns them all into total nit wits?!
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2014, 10:58 AM by Malcolm.)
02-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
for me there are good and bad in all colours and creeds , we have to take the rough with the smooth ,
for every dozen like Malcolm you are bound to get one like me , ha ha ha cant win em all
02-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
It does not really matter what it is as long as you all keep coming back, they are the best 2 weeks in the year for many. long may it last.
02-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Find Reply