Steam Packet van lengths?
JAT Offline

Threads: 5
Steam Packet van lengths?
Hello, I have got my booking confirmation through the post and it states the permitted van dimensions are 4.9m L 2m W and 2.1 H, the van we used to come over on was a medium Sprinter van which was just about right. We now have a 10 plate medium Sprinter but the length is 5.4m, I have phoned SP but there is no room to change the booking to the longer size! Is it possible they could deny us our sailing, I must say I have never seen vehicles measured but there is always a first time! I have use of another van but it means only bringing 1 bike. Any info greatly appreciated. Cheers JAT
20-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Steam Packet van lengths?
I took a van across for tt 14 and they paid no attention to it at all, I asked if they wanted to measure it up but they said they don't bother during tt as there is that many vans they just want to get you checked in and loaded. I wouldn't bother, just turn up.

=======================================================================
See you on the island
20-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
I guess it might be more of a problem if you're loaded near the end of loading time so get there early I say. Another thing is they probably want an idea of vehicle types per load to plan the loading strategy.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

20-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
Jat .I hope you are not covered by the RAC for breakdown and recovery i had a problem which the break down man could not solve and he took great delight in telling me my long wheel based van was to long and would have to be recovered as a commercial vehicle, from the M25 near the m11 to Southend cost almost nearly £300. The nice breakdown man even had a list so he knew which van he could take a those he would charge , mine was 11" to long for thier service they had moved the goal posts while i was a member but like most people never read the small print I got during the renewal. So everybody check if you are covered in your long wheel based vans . I am now with the AA who do have upper size limits but they are huge much bigger than long wheel based vans !!

I complained to the RAC about what occured and the cost's involved but got told they were a bussiness and the fact that they had made best part of £200 from my breakdown was irrelivant , I had chatted with the driver about what he and his company got for the pick up so it was easy to work out the profit .. Icon_mad
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
20-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Website Find Reply
desmophile Offline

Threads: 1
In the 'old days' it was height that was the main problem.

We sailed from Liverpool in an old merc 307 and had to let every last bit of air out of the tyres to get on, the additional weight of the err 'extra' passengers in the back helped somewhat 😀
23-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
I think for Campervan/motorhomes they have up to 5.5 up to 6.5 then up to 7.5 , then above that you have to contact them ,

You won't have that problem at Liverpool next year Des no motorhomes/campervans from Liverpool now they have put in the new deck to take more bikes

24-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Find Reply
desmophile Offline

Threads: 1
I know Ed, great shame really.

I always used to prefer Liverpool to Heysham, apart from the fact that it's 70 miles closer, Heysham always seems such a godforsaken soulless place
24-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
a standard car booking is upto 5.5 mtrs isnt it so cant see why van should be shorter
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
24-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Find Reply

Could it be that a van goes as freight and they are at different rates to normal car and campervan rates Scara??

24-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
(24-12-2014, 11:03 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: Could it be that a  van goes as freight and they are at different rates to normal car and campervan rates Scara??

anythings possible with the steam packet but just how many vans carrying freight are smaller than a standard car
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
25-12-2014, 12:03 AM
Find Reply

I have no idea, it's just that I know that a campervan rates are in the price list, but for vans you used to have to contact the freight boys not sure if that still applies as it's five years since. I first got a campervan and was told the campervan had to meet certain criteria windows bed and what ever can't remember exactly, but was stopped at Heysham and checked to confirm it was a camper two years on the trot but have not been checked. In the following three years so not sure if something has changed or they are just slacking a bit, and never checked at the Pool,

25-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Find Reply