IOM GREEN LANES
rollo Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
IOM GREEN LANES
Hi.Thinking of going to do a few lanes in late Feb early March and wandered if anybody knew if the lanes are closed for a certain period to allow for maintenance.Wouldnt want a wasted trip.Greatfull for any info.Cheers Beer2
28-12-2014, 02:08 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
RE: IOM GREEN LANES
Dont think so, but would not be 100% sure , but did read some where that there are moves a foot to make some of them one way, but again not sure

reading that back I have not been much use have I ?? don't know why I bothered , but then why change the habits of a life time , but I am sure you will have a great time , even if its only propping up the bar in one of the many watering holes telling the tales of how big that rock was, or how deep that rut was , I am all full of jealous even before you get set off

28-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
(28-12-2014, 02:08 PM)rollo Wrote: Hi.Thinking of going to do a few lanes in late Feb early March and wandered if anybody knew if the lanes are closed for a certain period to allow for maintenance.Wouldnt want a wasted trip.Greatfull for any info.Cheers Beer2

Not sure if there are any closures, but a list of Greenways is HERE if you (or anyone else) is interested.

Also.... "Many Greenlanes and Greenway Roads display a white 'speed limit' notice advising motorcyclists not to exceed 20mph. The usual advice is to slow down when passing pedestrians and horses. Motorcycling is prohibited on public footpaths."
(This post was last modified: 28-12-2014, 09:36 PM by Stroller.)
28-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Find Reply
serowmaster Offline

Threads: 4
(28-12-2014, 07:25 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: Dont think so, but would not be 100% sure , but did read some where that there are moves a foot to make some of them  one way, but again not sure

reading that back I have not been much use have I ?? don't know why I bothered , but then why change the habits of a life time , but I am sure you will have a great time , even if its only propping up the bar in one of the many watering holes telling the tales of how big that rock was, or how deep that rut was , I am all full of jealous even before you get set off

Rush out and buy that serow eddy and hit those green lanes Bike2

GETTING OLD IS MANDATORY FEELING OLD IS OPTIONAL smilie
29-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Find Reply

(29-12-2014, 04:57 PM)serowmaster Wrote:
(28-12-2014, 07:25 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: Dont think so, but would not be 100% sure , but did read some where that there are moves a foot to make some of them  one way, but again not sure

Rush out and buy that serow eddy and hit those green lanes Bike2
Have heard there is one out Preston way not getting used much , may have to go and give it some exercise before it seizes up   
31-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Find Reply
serowmaster Offline

Threads: 4
The battery is on charge as we speak hope to give it a run this week before I go back to work , I still have to say the little yam is probably one of the best all round bikes I have owned but don't tell everyone or they will all want one smilie

GETTING OLD IS MANDATORY FEELING OLD IS OPTIONAL smilie
01-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Find Reply

There is one thing we have in the IOM that I wish we had over here and would make life a lot easier , the signage saying what is a green lane and what is not , oh how I wish
04-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

(04-01-2015, 04:41 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: There is one thing we have in the IOM that I wish we had over here and would make life a lot easier , the signage saying what is a green lane and what is not , oh how I wish

So Ed, can you tell me what exactly i s a green lane...meant for biking, horse riding, mountainbiking and such? Out here lanes are Lanen and usually that's posh living, there will be houses, it will be green too, but has nothing much to do with nature and outdoors, which I believe is what it stands for on IOM...
04-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Find Reply

Oh dear I could get in to deep trouble here Amsterdam, for I forget some of the terminology, and over resent years with all the opposition against motor vehicle usage of the, so called green lanes it is a bit of a gray area over here, but as I used to understand it a Greenlane that you can take a motorized vehicle on was I think and do stand to be corrected on, was what they called an unkempt road, which was historically a public road that the council or authority of the time did not take over and tarmac and maintain as a public highway,

Why do I have the feeling I have either got this all wrong or missed out some vital information, HELP SOME ONE HELP
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2015, 09:09 PM by Steady the Edward.)
04-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
"A Greenlane is an unsurfaced road through the countryside for pedestrians, 4x4s, motorcycles, mountain bikes and horses. Some are 'Greenway Roads' which have restrictions. On Greenlanes, vehicle users should give way to pedestrians and horse riders, and be aware that farm animals may be in the road at any time."

SOURCE
05-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Find Reply
A10TT9 Offline

Threads: 0
The IOM has a better attitude towards users of green lanes than the English Local Authorities. Our lot seem to be intent on closing as many as possible to vehicles, stirred up by the Ramblers, no doubt.
05-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Find Reply

Thank s for that Stroller , in England I think it is slightly different in that I don't think we have the same category clarification you have on the Island , but as I said it is not some thing I am up on , I was never in to mud wrestling , untill I got a little XL 200 for on the back of the Bugilow , and decided to folks the classic trial at the Manx , and thought this is fun , mind I did wonder the time when machine showed no respect for
Its rider and dumped him in the middle of a river , what is it with bikers they are a strange breed the things they call fun ??
05-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Most of the green lanes go back hundreds and hundreds of years and are normally the shortest route from one town/village to another which was important when most of the travelling was done on foot.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
05-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Find Reply

Ye I remember reading some where that a lot of the green lanes were the old drove roads that they used to drive cattle down on their way to markets up and down the country ,but became unused when they started using trains to transport the cattle , wonder if they could use the trains to transport the ramblers and leave the trails to the MX riders to wreck
05-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

Thanks lads, gives me a fair idea. Out here some tracks would specify no motorbikes others are solely for horse riders, no combined lanes and not the kind and amount of footpaths UK and IOM have, with turnstyles etc.
05-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

We have Ordanance Survey maps ( official Goverment maps) that show specify various access paths/roads. We have Bridle ways ( horses and foot only) B.O.A.T.s (Byways open to all traffic which allows cars and motorbikes as well) Public Footpaths ( most of which cross over private land for foot only)
Some BOATs are closed from time to time to allow repairs, the danger of which is a lot do not get reopened as BOAT's but footpaths. The Ramblers who use the footpaths have a big sway in the UK and if they had there way, all BOATS would be reclassified
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2015, 04:35 PM by c iom tt.)
05-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Find Reply

Do you think we would have less argument with the ramblers if we had the signage over here that they do on the Island CiomTT, I have seen ramblers ranting at bikers for being on legit green lanes , but did not know what they were on about because they could not read a map , and like wise have seen bikers who didn't give a toss and thrashed MX bikes on foot paths not big enough for bikes , but two wrongs don't. Make a right and information could lighten the day , the problem would be no one would want to foot the bill

06-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Part of what is shutting the green lanes down is the behaviour of SOME of the motorbike riders using the lanes.
The problem with these users are they dont give two hoots if the BOATs are shut, they will carry on using them anyway giving more fuel to the fire for the Ramblers to use against us.
No amount of signs will change the Ramblers attitude to motorcyclists using any lane that they use.

06-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Find Reply

I am with you 100% on this CiomTT the MX brigade are the ones that just don't give a toss , along with the 4x4 boys who go out to get stuck just so they can play with their winches , ban Mx tyres on the Lanes make them use cats paws tyres and ride to TRF rules , but I still think that clear signage would help
09-01-2015, 12:00 AM
Find Reply