And in the Beginning
Shooie Offline

Threads: 1
RE: And in the Beginning
Dommyman.
You liked the "thump thump" sound of the AJS 250.. Really?? And, to be honest, so did I Smile
Your next bike looks great... a BSA "what" ? In 1962 I was still at school sooooo .. lol
A Rocket maybe?
After my Royal Oilfield I upgraded to a Triumph Tiger 100. Whacked a big fibreglass tank on it, racing seat, 1/2 fairing, clip-ons, modified (botched) exhaust system and... zooooom..
First bike I took to the IoM somewhere around 1971/2...
Never forget my first lap. Had my best buddy as pillion..
Mad Sunday...Sat on the start line, my buddy looking at his watch and when he punched my shoulder we were off..
And amazingly we both lived to tell the tale.. wow.. Triumph Tiger front forks don't work well when filled with emulsified oil Sad
I remember being behind a guy, coming out of Quarterbridge, who was wearing old biker gear on an old-ish bike and thinking.... I will follow him to get an idea of the lines to take... And try as hard as I did he blew me away.. Left me for dead.
01-02-2015, 01:27 AM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
(01-02-2015, 01:27 AM)Shooie Wrote: Dommyman.  
You liked the "thump thump" sound of the AJS 250..  Really??  And, to be honest, so did I Smile  
Your next bike looks great... a BSA "what" ?  In 1962 I was still at school sooooo .. lol
A Rocket maybe?
After my Royal Oilfield I upgraded to a Triumph Tiger 100.  Whacked a big fibreglass tank on it, racing seat, 1/2 fairing, clip-ons, modified (botched) exhaust system and... zooooom..  
First bike I took to the IoM somewhere around 1971/2...
Never forget my first lap. Had my best buddy as pillion..
Mad Sunday...Sat on the start line, my buddy looking at his watch and when he punched my shoulder we were off..  
And amazingly we both lived to tell the tale.. wow..  Triumph Tiger front forks don't work well when filled with emulsified oil Sad  
I remember being behind a guy, coming out of Quarterbridge,  who was wearing old biker gear on an old-ish bike and thinking.... I will follow him to get an idea of the lines to take... And try as hard as I did he blew me away.. Left me for dead.

I liked the sound because I had only ridden rattly two strokes up until then, and I remember thinking "This sounds like a real bike" albeit a pretty gutless one.  The BSA was one of the first unit construction A65 models and it looked great in Flamboyant Red. After my trip to the Island I had to saw a chunk off the centre stand as my mates on Nortons left me for dead on Marine Drive, which was fully intact back then.  The stand hit the deck too easily on left handers, and was a lot better when reduced in size.
01-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Find Reply
Shooie Offline

Threads: 1
Dommyman.
Had to saw chunks off the centre stand coz the Norton's were leaving you for dead on the left-handers on the Marine Drive!!!!
I rode the Marine Drive once or twice or thrice and my anal muscle tightened a few times on the left-handers... Nothing to do with Norton's... as I was on one !!!! lol
02-02-2015, 11:55 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
Surprising who you can meet down  

[Image: 7d3b6fcb-5a6a-4b9d-88aa-b19b260af956.jpg]
testing their bikes while staying down there in the Bugilow Mr Anstey  Lougher Miss Costelo and many more

[Image: a73c7c6a-bf5d-4049-9e8c-78fef43befd3.jpg]
03-02-2015, 10:09 PM
Find Reply