The Island 1970
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
The Island 1970

It seems to me that the Tourist Trophy races are becoming no more than an added attraction, a supporting

feature if you like, to TT week in the Isle of Man. Whereas 20 years ago you went over for the racing and

hoped for a good week, you now go to experience the week and hope the racing will be good. I am not

saying this is necessarily a bad thing. As a one time every year regular from 1947 on, this was the first time

i have made the pilgrimage for ten years and i must say the whole experience left me with mixed feelings.

Some things good have not changed and some things not so good are no better. A brisk five-hour ride form

Surrey to Liverpool is still followed by an 11 hour drag before setting foot on the magic isle. The

between-deck ventilation of the new boats is no better than it was on the old tubs. The personnel of the

Steam Packet Co. are as pleasant and helpful as ever, but still seem to be caught with their trousers down

every June. The soggy chips still reigns unchallenged throughout the island.

On the other hand, from any half-mile outside, Douglas, the place is miraculously un-spoiled. It is possible

to go on spec. and find excellent digs at knock-out prices. It is even possible to track down best bitter at 1

shilling eight pence a pint. If you have made the pilgrimage, you need no explanation of the tremendous

attraction; if you haven`t, then you need no explanation it is impossible.

For me it`s the little incidentals which tend to linger in the mind so pleasantly. Chatting with old men who

knew Walter Handley. Long arguments into the small hours with unperceptive types who reckon that Geoff

Duke was overrated. Hilarious antidotes from in-people about what are mighty industry`s latest offerings are

really like. Best of all, really, the constant bumping into old acquaintances from younger days, most of them

moaning about how it’s all gone to potbut all of them back there just the same. And they`ll be there again

next year, too. For the vintage brigade it is a most cosy occasion and there was certainly some very choice

property on view this year. Perhaps it is plain envy that makes me think that as the years pass and the bikes

get more valuable, so the owners get more precious.

Even so, for old bikes, new bikes and beautiful specials, it is the greatest show on earth, with the unique

advantage that you can watch them working. Where else would you be likely to mention to a fellow with a

nimbus, the Danish in-line four, that in all the years his was the first one you had ever seen, receive the

rejoinder that he has lots of them at home and next time you see him, he is chatting to another bloke on a

nimbus. Whiling away the time in the queue at Liverpool I noted six Honda fours, eight of the latest BMWs,

tree Guzzi 750 twins and two Laverdas. Compared with what was on daily view in Douglas that was just for

starters. So if its all so marvellous why the mixed feelings? well to start with there is the downright antisocial behaviour of a not so small minority who, whether you or I like it or no are motorcyclists. The constant belting along the promenadealways with maximum revs in low gear and usually without silencerswas

stupid exhibitionism at its most moronic. What the hell do they think they are proving? More to the point

what right have they to wreak such damage, to bring into such disrepute this pleasant pursuit I have

followed for 30 at no inconvenience to others and at risk only to myself? It is probable that to them,

motorcycling is only a passing phase. I sincerely hope so. The sooner they pass on to the four kids, council

flat and the clapped Cortina the better, but I bitterly resent the inevitable restrictions they will bring down on

us all in their passing.

Kilbil Icon_frown

15-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
RE: The Island 1970
Apart from the readily available digs at knock-down prices, it's all pretty much still the same! Especially the soggy chips!
15-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Website Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
I think one of the biggest changes is that Douglas is not the hub it used to be with the demise of all the seafront Hotels therefore not getting the spectacle of hundreds of bikes parked from one end of the prom to the other , it has just lost that wow factor , but what Douglas has lost other towns have gained , Peel being one in particular that has changed dramatically I feel ,

As for the clientele that now attend ( the yuppy bikers as the wife calls them , all show and no go brigade ( her words not mine ) I can't say I feel they will be the regulars of tomorrow ,

I often think when you look at the changes since I first set foot on the Island 50 years ago to what it is now I wonder what it will look like in another 50 years ?? will it still exist even ?? I so look forward to finding out

(This post was last modified: 15-01-2015, 11:26 PM by Steady the Edward.)
15-01-2015, 11:18 PM
Find Reply
windyman Offline

Threads: 0
(15-01-2015, 09:25 PM)kilbil Wrote:   

It seems to me that the Tourist Trophy races are becoming no more than an added attraction, a supporting

feature if you like, to TT week in the Isle of Man. Whereas 20 years ago you went over for the racing and

hoped for a good week, you now go to experience the week and hope the racing will be good. I am not

saying this is necessarily a bad thing. As a one time every year regular from 1947 on, this was the first time

i have made the pilgrimage for ten years and i must say the whole experience left me with mixed feelings.

Some things good have not changed and some things not so good are no better. A brisk five-hour ride form

Surrey to Liverpool is still followed by an 11 hour drag before setting foot on the magic isle. The

between-deck ventilation of the new boats is no better than it was on the old tubs. The personnel of the

Steam Packet Co. are as pleasant and helpful as ever, but still seem to be caught with their trousers down

every June. The soggy chips still reigns unchallenged throughout the island.

On the other hand, from any half-mile outside, Douglas, the place is miraculously un-spoiled. It is possible

to go on spec. and find excellent digs at knock-out prices. It is even possible to track down best bitter at 1

shilling eight pence a pint. If you have made the pilgrimage, you need no explanation of the tremendous

attraction; if you haven`t, then you need no explanation it is impossible.

For me it`s the little incidentals which tend to linger in the mind so pleasantly. Chatting with old men who

knew Walter Handley. Long arguments into the small hours with unperceptive types who reckon that Geoff

Duke was overrated. Hilarious antidotes from in-people about what are mighty industry`s latest offerings are

really like. Best of all, really, the constant bumping into old acquaintances from younger days, most of them

moaning about how it’s all gone to potbut all of them back there just the same. And they`ll be there again

next year, too. For the vintage brigade it is a most cosy occasion and there was certainly some very choice

property on view this year. Perhaps it is plain envy that makes me think that as the years pass and the bikes

get more valuable, so the owners get more precious.

Even so, for old bikes, new bikes and beautiful specials, it is the greatest show on earth, with the unique

advantage that you can watch them working. Where else would you be likely to mention to a fellow with a

nimbus, the Danish in-line four, that in all the years his was the first one you had ever seen, receive the

rejoinder that he has lots of them at home and next time you see him, he is chatting to another bloke on a

nimbus. Whiling away the time in the queue at Liverpool I noted six Honda fours, eight of the latest BMWs,

tree Guzzi 750 twins and two Laverdas. Compared with what was on daily view in Douglas that was just for

starters. So if its all so marvellous why the mixed feelings? well to start with there is the downright antisocial behaviour of a not so small minority who, whether you or I like it or no are motorcyclists. The constant belting along the promenadealways with maximum revs in low gear and usually without silencerswas

stupid exhibitionism at its most moronic. What the hell do they think they are proving? More to the point

what right have they to wreak such damage, to bring into such disrepute this pleasant pursuit I have

followed for 30 at no inconvenience to others and at risk only to myself? It is probable that to them,

motorcycling is only a passing phase. I sincerely hope so. The sooner they pass on to the four kids, council

flat and the clapped Cortina the better, but I bitterly resent the inevitable restrictions they will bring down on

us all in their passing.

Kilbil Icon_frown

15-01-2015, 11:42 PM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
(15-01-2015, 10:02 PM)sticky Wrote: Apart from the readily available digs at knock-down prices, it's all pretty much still the same!  Especially the soggy chips!

This is just a small part of the report. I thought the attitude of the author was so funny and mirrors the time perfectly.

Kilbil 
16-01-2015, 01:44 AM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
(15-01-2015, 11:18 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: I think one of the biggest changes is that Douglas is not the hub it used to be with the demise of all the seafront Hotels therefore not getting the spectacle of hundreds of bikes parked from one end of the prom to the other , it has just lost that wow factor , but what Douglas has lost other towns have gained , Peel being one in particular that has changed dramatically I feel ,  

As for the clientele that now attend ( the yuppy bikers as the wife calls them , all show and no go brigade ( her words not mine ) I can't say I feel they will be the regulars of tomorrow ,

I often think when you look at the changes since I first set foot on the Island 50 years ago to what it is now I wonder what it will look like in another 50 years ??  will it still exist even ?? I so look forward to finding out

You're right S t E, Douglas was the centre of the action for spectators. Not now though. That said I believe racing over the TT course is the thing that repeatedly draws most of us over. It's 52 years since I first watched the TT races, I've watched regularly since and it still excites me as much now as it did then. Who knows whether the spectators drawn over by TV coverage of the TT races will keep coming? I'm just grateful these ever fascinating and dangerous races still exist in today's risk averse world.
16-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
As you say the TT has some magical aura about it, every time I`ve been be it TT or Manx as the boat is pulling into Douglas harbour I get this feeling of excitement, it truly is a magical place.
16-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
its a difficult one 60s and the 70s i think there were more spectators there then but i might be wrong ,Douglas was the place to go to in the evening with the various pubs and clubs especialy the dogs home pub, but TT week is what you make of it anyway if your into roadracing, its not like football or cricket i personaly have never seen a poor TT race in my life but i seen alot of poor footy matches
22-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
My first Island visit was 1962, and I remember Douglas was like one big bike show.  Now, I am not sure if there were more visitors back then, or just that they were mostly congregated in one place.  Also, not many of us back then could afford vans to take our bikes over, so we all went on our bikes.   Douglas is a bit dead nowadays, but only to the benefit of the rest of the Island's businesses, Pubs, Restaurants etc.  Wherever you choose to spend your evenings now, you are sure to meet plenty of fellow bikers.  Peel and Ramsey being two prime examples.  I have to admit, I preferred the 60's era being, a Mike Hailwood fan, but I still enjoy the TT as I love to be there riding round the place on my bike.  One thing I don't miss are these:

[Image: 12485935043_39cd121cb3_z.jpg]

A four and a half hour crossing back in the 70's on one of these, and you knew you had been on a boat trip.  If you have spent a rough crossing on one of them, you would think the Mannannan to be a luxury.
24-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
My first crossing was a rough one, I thought it was never going to end, the longest night of my life and no mistake, but when Mike the bike came round signpost and down to bedstead where we were on that awesome MV with a sound track like nothing I had ever heard, it all of a sudden seamed worth every painful minute of that long long night

16-02-2015, 12:06 AM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
The first time I visited the island was 1970. I came on my Kawasaki 1969, 500cc H1 MachIII together with three other bikes from Sweden. We crossed first the North Sea Gothenburg-Immingham. Then a ride across England to Liverpool. After emptying the tank my new baby was loaded in a special device on deck at the steamer together with two other bikes. 
Imagine the long line of empty bikes to get some gas at the petrol station in Douglas!

We stayed in tents at Glen Louge. The first morning was a real shock. We had no clue about morning practice. Our tents were about 25 metres from the edge of the course. The wake up was brutal. It felt like the racing bikes should come through the tents! Best sounds: The Benellis 250 and 350, MV of course and the triple BSA:s and Triumphs.

We spent the evenings at the pub in the corner of The Promenade and Broadway. Quite a few bitters. I don't remember in what way we returned to the tents late in the evenings. 
The food was fish 'n' chips in real newspapers from the small stands on The Promenade. 

I'll never forget it! 
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
17-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Website Find Reply
Mr B Offline

Threads: 3
My first TT was a year later, in 1971. We also stayed at Glenlough campsite in the field next to the course, and were unprepared for the rude awakening that was early morning practice!

Something we saw (and heard) that sticks in the memory was the MV mechanics riding Ago's bikes through Douglas down to the boat at the end of the week.

I was on a Honda CD175 and saw my first Laverda on Douglas Prom, the start of a forty-odd year love affair with the marque. Fell off the Honda when it got cross threaded on the tramlines. Happy days.
17-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
Do you still have the 1969 H1Icon_question  It`s the best of the triples I think to own.  I went on my H1a in 1971 and fell off it at bedstead, I still own it. Icon_biggrin
17-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
(17-02-2015, 09:01 PM)eman1948 Wrote: Do you still have the 1969 H1Icon_question  It`s the best of the triples I think to own.  I went on my H1a in 1971 and fell off it at bedstead, I still own it. Icon_biggrin

No, a crank bearing siezed and I sold it without repair 1973 in the autumn. In the spring 1974 i bought 750cc H2. A real monsterbike! But that one never came to Isle of Man as long as I owned it. Sold as well by now. A pity!
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
17-02-2015, 10:44 PM
Website Find Reply
A10TT9 Offline

Threads: 0
(17-02-2015, 04:18 PM)Mr B Wrote: My first TT was a year later, in 1971. We also stayed at Glenlough campsite in the field next to the course, and were unprepared for the rude awakening that was early morning practice!

Something we saw (and heard) that sticks in the memory was the MV mechanics riding Ago's bikes through Douglas down to the boat at the end of the week.

I was on a Honda CD175 and saw my first Laverda on Douglas Prom, the start of a forty-odd year love affair with the marque. Fell off the Honda when it got cross threaded on the tramlines. Happy days.

I really miss the early morning practice. We camped at Glen Dhoo, so it was out of the sleeping bag and over to the course to hear the bikes coming over the Mountain, then later back to the tent for a fry up. Magic!
18-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Find Reply