New Visitors
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
New Visitors
Here I will start the Thread off again, and you can all add your comments once again.

Sorry to those of you who had posted some really great comments, as I think there were some really valid points being made and the Thread did have some legs in it.

Maybe even something for New visitors to read and digest before making the trip over.

Malcolm.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
20-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Website Find Reply
Boltonswanderer
Unregistered

RE: New Visitors
(20-01-2015, 09:48 PM)Malcolm Wrote: Here I will start the Thread off again, and you can all add your comments once again.

Sorry to those of you who had posted some really great comments, as I think there were some really valid points being made and the Thread did have some legs in it.

Maybe even something for New visitors to read and digest before making the trip over.

Malcolm.

Well that's a relief. It had the beginning of a long running and interesting thread with comments from old and ( lucky ) new visitors.

Once it's got you, the Island never leaves you........or is the other way round ??     Dodgy
21-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Raynetjr Offline

Threads: 6
I'll be visiting the TT for the second time this year and be back in August for the MGP for the third time so I'm probably a "new visitor".

Despite having been to loads of UGPs, Mid Antrims etc, I must admit the thing that pushed me over "the edge" and actually make my first trip was watching the Closer to the Edge in 3D in my local cinema. I thought the time trial nature (versus the wheel to wheel racing of the Irish races) wouldn't interest me as much, but I loved it.

I know people worry that "newbies" won't want to volunteer, but I did at the first possible opportunity and then roped my wife in too! Over two summers we've both "qualified" as marshals and completed the IMC and had a great time virtually everywhere we've turned up. Even at this year's TT I'm only there for 1.5 racedays but, if they'll have me, I'll bung on the orange bid and marshal for a day (I've even convinced my mate to join in).

As long as a % of all these newbies sign on (and keep coming back...) the races will survive - the trick for those who have been there for a while is to make them feel welcome and part of the team (and not moan about how it was much better when XXX did YYY... Icon_biggrin ) - which, in my experience is something that most current marshals do really well.
23-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
Raynetjr you say

( As long as a % of all these newbies sign on (and keep coming back...) the races will survive )

it's fine getting new people but we have to have the Old hands to show the new ones what to do , we have to have a balance , and the worry is that that balance is being eroded especially in the first and last sessions as the experienced ones from across cant get the crossings to either get there or back home in a time that works for them and end up taking ones that do not let them do what is required , or even worse are just getting fed up with the effort and costs and not coming back ,

(This post was last modified: 27-01-2015, 05:51 PM by Steady the Edward.)
27-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Find Reply
uncle buck Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Have to agree with Eddie. Myself & son have been marshalling for the past six years. However it's always a hardship trying to get the ferries sorted. Not to much of a problem for me as I'm virtually retired but a pain in my son's case. He is the new blood the TT needs t keep the orange army going.
27-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Find Reply